Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now that I've sewn my scraps sewn onto register tape and into a quilt... >

Now that I've sewn my scraps sewn onto register tape and into a quilt...

Now that I've sewn my scraps sewn onto register tape and into a quilt...

Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 PM

Default here's what I'm talking about

I took a roll of adding machine tape and sewed scraps on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409422[/ATTACH]

another picture[ATTACH=CONFIG]409423[/ATTACH]

Then I sewed them together to make a top:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409424[/ATTACH]

and
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409425[/ATTACH]

Then I washed it because I didn't know the best way to get rid of the paper before actually doing the quilt--

and I did get my machine cleaned out without calling the repairman. !

but this is how it turned out after I washed it. The idea of taking off the paper off those tiny little pieces was more than I can bear. I don't sit and watch tv in the evenings as a general rule, so that isn't an option to me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409426[/ATTACH]

and

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409427[/ATTACH]

So next time I will try to go ahead and just finish it, including quilting it and THEN washing it...because these are so tiny that I can't see that they will be a problem. At least I think I'll try it.
Attached Thumbnails roll-fabric-adding-machine-tape.jpg   roll-2.jpg   top.jpg   top3.jpg   lint2.jpg  

lint3.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 AM

spritz the paper with water before you start to tear off the paper..... just fyi, a long time ago they left the PRINTED newspaper in the quilt....no problem

Last edited by joym; 04-22-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:29 AM

I am always learning something new from all of you ladies. I love this quilting group. Thanks to everyone for all their input.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 AM

I have a question. I am pretty new at some of these techniques. My question: Is there any reason why you would sew your scraps onto a roll of adding machine tape, rather than just plain sew the scraps to each other and keep sewing new scraps to the group as you go. Not sure I understand why sew them to the paper.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 AM

I usually use my nails but for those stubborn corners I use a tweezer to pull them out.....actually , now I remove the paper as I go....much easier....as soon as i`ve done a block or part of one i remove the paper then keep going....live and learn....i`ve done quite a few quilt tops using adding machine paper.....i always have one on the go....i sew some of my scraps as thy accumulate , then decide what to do with it when it`s all ready....don`t forget to use a very tiny stich...it helps a lot.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 AM

it keeps them nice and straight and easy to trim....and you can just keep going and going.....
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sandrea View Post
I have a question. I am pretty new at some of these techniques. My question: Is there any reason why you would sew your scraps onto a roll of adding machine tape, rather than just plain sew the scraps to each other and keep sewing new scraps to the group as you go. Not sure I understand why sew them to the paper.
As huntannette said it keeps them straight. I would ever be able to make a straight strip without a background. Most of the time, I use trash fabric that I can cut as wide as I like; very light weight, and/or something I don't really like. Makes your quilt a little heavier, but then you can use a thinner batt.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Just finished my first project using telephone book pages.
Shorter stitches certainly helps in removing the paper.
Ended up sitting in front of the tv one night to remove all the paper.

Here's how the back looked... before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409196[/ATTACH]

Up close..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409198[/ATTACH]

Finished product.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409197[/ATTACH]
Since you didn't have any particular pattern, why didn't you just sew onto muslin squares? That way, there is no paper to remove. Just curious. Your tree skirt is beautiful.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sandrea View Post
Looking at her picture, she "crazy quilted" a lot of the scraps, rather than sewing them all in straight line. You need some type of foundation for that. An alternate method would be to cut strips of muslin to whatever width you wanted and sew the fabric onto that. You would have strips that were 36 or 42" (depending on the width of the muslin) that could be clamped to a hanger so they would stay straight. Then, when they were washed, there wouldn't be anything to rip out.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM

jusflyingin - that's a beautiful quilt made with the adding machine tape.

Just seeing the rolled up tape with fabric on it made me think of the 1600 quilt. I bet that would be pretty, too.