Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OCD quilting. >

OCD quilting.

OCD quilting.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 AM

I love these replies I love applique but I still try to balance. I am doing Deck aid the halls with fat quarters. So far cine with sinle blocks of different sizes just about ready to join them together. No symmetry at all. Help
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 AM

Sounds like you're doing fine, and when completed you'll love it! That's my favorite set up, different sizes of blocks. Join them with some sashing and you are all set. Are you using a pattern foe the quilt you are making?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Just remember you are probably your own worst critic! There are a lot more things to be concerned about like your health. We can't all be perfect but we can and are all perfectly imperfect.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 PM

Yes using a pattern. Google deck-ade the halls. It is in fat quarters site. They have a tutorial and patterns come periodically and make blocks next time it is the putting all together.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM

Cute pattern!
Visually the picture looks balanced, just not mirror image. I've found it's easier to "see" the balance at a distance or in a picture than when right on top of it. It also helps to think of it as things on a see saw, will one side weight the other down.

I use this process with arranging blocks of different colors, imagining the darker ones as heavier and the pale ones as lighter. I also want them scattered fairly evenly all over the top. Yes, looking random, but still planned.

If you analyze that picture, you can see the planning and organization, you just have to go past the "not exactly alike".

If this remains too far outside your comfort zone, you don't have to do another one!

You can still be proud of yourself for giving it a try and determining that you really didn't care to go that direction.

For myself, I can enjoy many designs that I would most likely never attempt, but I still can appreciate the time and effort involved in creating it.

Some I might wish to someday be able to duplicate, others I have no desire to contemplate making. And still others I've tried one and not cared for the results and reworked it (or planned how to do so) to fit my sense of how it should be.

If you still don't care for this after you do the "final" layout, you can always redesign to fit your taste!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 AM

Leave your OCD at the Dior of your sewing room or you will not enjoy the ride........we all have preferences as to what we prefer, but once in awhile we have to "try" something else.....that is part of this hobby....like all others there is always something new being introduced for those who might be interested....for those not, there is always the good traditional things.....don't sweat the small stuff.....widen your horizons.....and whatever other way you want to say it
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM

I think it's quite normal to have personal preferences. I don't care for sampler quilts myself which makes it easy for me to bypass most BoMs. I like some asymmetrical layouts but mostly I choose symmetrical ones. I also don't do mystery quilts because I like to know what I'm getting into... but I love following along and watching others do them.

Hopefully you'll end up enjoying the process even if you don't love the project!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

I like both and have done both. However, mostly complete symetrical quilts. I accept both as normal
Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 AM

i am very old fashioned in my tastes...the modern quilts are nice to look at...but, I wouldn't want to do one or live with one. I too like balance.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I agree this is just a preference.