Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Odd question for Farmers wife quilt makers >

Odd question for Farmers wife quilt makers

Odd question for Farmers wife quilt makers

Old 07-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

SewMom ... Thank You!!! I am quite pleased with it too. Though I will confess, there was a while where I absolutely hated it and just finished it for the sake of doing so. Even once done I was not in love with it and was even contemplating loaning it to a friend to hang in her large historic home. What finally got me thrilled, was the day I hung it to take the photo I posted. That was the first time that I saw it from a distance and truly saw how it all came together. After that, no way was I giving it to her .... nor tucking it away. Instead it now hangs in my living room on the far wall, so I can enjoy seeing it every time I come and go from my office.

You could always do it like I did ... no plan in mind!!! I just started making blocks, and went from one to the other using fabrics I wanted and liked. Then would look for fabrics in my stash to blend together blocks that just didn't go with each other! It's kind of fun to take two opposite blocks and then find a print that has the colours for the two and presto, you have them all of a sudden looking like they belong together.

Good Luck ... and enjoy making your FWS!!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Good advice QE Personally, I would steer away from a layer cake or charm packs. I found when using a 10" square I could only make a couple of blocks and there wouldn't be enough of the scraps to do much more than that (other than make a mini quilt or two)
Best of luck with your adventure--unlike some people I know--mine is still a WIP!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:43 AM

All I can find to say is "wow!"

This thread has me wondering, though. Has anyone ever made these with the bright, modern fabrics? My guess is that they'd be "jangly" to look at, and a bit of a mixed metaphor, but it would be interesting to see one.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 07-12-2014, 06:00 AM

Sewmom: Here are images from yahoo, all kinds of colors! https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...27s+wife+quilt

QuiltE: Holy cow, that is gorgeous. Definitely one of the nicest I've seen. Although you used lots of colors, you really placed them well and brought them all together beautifully! It looks like mostly tot's or blenders?

I've had the book for quite a while, thinking I'd make it as an acknowlegement to my childhood (daughter of a farmer). Like the OP, I just can't decide on fabrics, which I don't usually have a problem with. It's just overwhelming, I guess.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post

This thread has me wondering, though. Has anyone ever made these with the bright, modern fabrics? My guess is that they'd be "jangly" to look at, and a bit of a mixed metaphor, but it would be interesting to see one.

Hugs,
Charlotte
I've seen many pictures of the FW, Dear Jane, and Pony Wives quilts done in many colorways- they are all very beautiful! Even the quilts that are not my personal color choices- still beautiful. There are some in modern colors, two color, 30's, Civil War. That's my problem!.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice, pictures and encouragement. When I do start this quilt, I want to also start a notebook and journal the construction- pros, cons, or any issues I had during the creation of this quilt. One thing I do know- it will be a long process and a challenge. I hope it will also be fun.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

QuiltE your FWS is positively droolworthy. I love it!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post

Hugs,
Charlotte

Here is a link to one that I quilted for a client done in somewhat modern fabrics. Lots of blenders in this one in bolder colors. It was pretty.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t237644.html
Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 PM

The keeping of a log is such a neat idea. It would be great to add some current event type items to go along with your quilting journey.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Peace&Joy and FelineFanatic ... Thank you for the compliments. FF ... you did give me a laugh with droolworthy!! . Yes TOTs/blenders but there were a lot of prints in there too. And some of them quite bizarre. I didn't get 'much into FC work for this one, though maxed out that technique with my Pony Club.

For anyone interested ... here's links to both quilts. You'll be able to see closer up pics of both too.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t226726.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t226710.html

SewMomand EmmaS... a good way to do your journal is right in the FWS book with notes along with each block and other things that are going on in your life at the time.

FFanatic ... That is a grand FWS that you and your client did. I remember admiring it at the time and tyhe similarity to mine because of the greens and yet such a different finished look.