Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Odd question for Farmers wife quilt makers >

Odd question for Farmers wife quilt makers

Odd question for Farmers wife quilt makers

Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 PM

I bought the FWS book two years ago but haven't gotten enough courage up to tackle it yet. My stumbling block is color... I am a total control freak when it comes to color, and I can't just seem to "jump in" and let the scrappiness emerge. However, this thread has given me the courage I need to venture forth and just take it one step at a time. I may blow the dust off the book and let the fun begin!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM

QuiltiE..Now THAT is a Quilt..!!! Sensational, I'd call it...That had to be in the works for a looong time.. I don't think I would ever get tired of looking at it...
Old 07-13-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Precuts would certainly be a way to get a variety. Or as suggested, swap with some other quilters.

Mine was totally scrappy and all from my stash, except for the sashing, cornerstones, borders, binding and backing. I did not decide on those til I was almost finished making all my blocks.

All told ... 144 fabrics!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482617[/ATTACH]
this is beautiful....you did a great job! this is on my list to do
Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:07 PM

Great thread. I am also interested in making a Farmer's Wife quilt. It's daunting because the book doesn't have the measurements.

QuiltE - love yours. Did you draw each of the blocks on graph paper?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Girlfriend - there is a CD in the back of the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt Book. There are easy to print full size templates for all 111 blocks.

Several of us did the quilt as a group right here on the Board. QuiltE, Gardnergal, and I were part of the group. It sounds like there are a number of people interested in doing the quilt, maybe someone should start a thread and you can all work together on it. I think we did 2 blocks a week, it took us over a year to complete the quilt. Do a search on Famer's Wife Sampler Quilt and you can see some of our weekly posts. We had a blast, and became very good friends!

Last edited by JeanieG; 07-13-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 AM

Thank you JeanieG. I bought the book when it first came out and it didn't have a cd. I think so many people complained about having to draft all the blocks, they decided to put them on a cd. It might be almost worth it for me to rebuy the book, but hate to do that. Maybe I should write the publisher.....

You have a great quilt store I love to visit when passing through Camarillo - it's Quilter's Studio. Love that store!

I bet your group was fun to sew with. Keeps the motivation going!

Last edited by Girlfriend; 07-14-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Thank you everyone for your accolades ....
though I did not post my quilt to hijack this thread. Sorry SewMom!
I posted it to show how scrappy can happen ... and come together at the end as a unified quilt.

Thanks JeanieG for telling everyone about our group.
For those interested ... all the threads that JeanieG mentioned for the FWS are still available to you for the whole quilt. There were two blocks per week and two threads. One thread had the rotary cutting measurements for those who wanted/needed them. The other thread was where we posted our completed blocks. If we didn't finish them that week, we then went back to it when we got the specific block completed. Plus in that second thread, we chatted about the how to's of the quilt, fabric choices, completion ideas, etc. As the weeks went by, the friendships grew. If you are not one for rotary cutting or templates, there was (probably still is) a Yahoo group that had developed the PP patterns for all the blocks. Sorry, I don't have a link for you any longer.

For those thinking of doing it, it is definitely worth working together on it. I know if it had not been for the wonderful Ladies in that group, I would never have completed my FWS. I believe the original group started in August 2010. I joined the QB in Spring 2011 and soon after noticed what they were doing. I had never heard of the FWS quilt, but having been on the farm all my life, it called to me, so it wasn't long til I was making blocks on my own, but soon joined the group. There were times I am sure I would have thrown in the proverbial towel ... and if it had not been for such a grand group, I probably would have done so. I completed my quilt in the wee hours of a June 2011 morning and about four hours later had it at our local Fair to be shown!

So Ladies ... all who are thinking about it ... jump in, and go to those threads, and start posting your blocks to them. Many of us are still drawn to anything FWS and we will be there to cheer you on as you work on your FWS quilts.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-14-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 AM

I am doing it now ...in Asian fabrics! However it only takes scraps. you can probably raid your friends scrap bins or I would just buy FQs.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

oooooooooooh Asian fabrics sounds lovely and deluxe!
CMilton ... how about a shot of your blocks, to excite us!
Pleeeeeeeeease?