Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oh Boy...now I've done it.... >
  • Oh Boy...now I've done it....

• Oh Boy...now I've done it....

Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 AM

I love your idea with the pillows. I made a pillow with a 4 yr old grandson and he still carries it around to sleep overs, etc. Iti's something they will each keep and use too.
    Originally Posted by trisha
    My daughters project for student teaching is to come up with something different that first graders don't know about re-cycling, and they are pretty savvy about it.
    I opened my big mouth and mentioned something about how people use cast off clothing (which is recycling) to make quilts....LOL!!! You guessed it.....now she has me involved in the whole thing.
    I was thinking that if they could each bring in a T-Shirt, I could sew them up into little pillows, they could stuff them, then I could sew them closed. So far, that is all I have come up with. I have a couple of weeks to come up with the finished idea, so please................please......if anyone has any other ideas that we could use, for some little project that wouldn't take forever and that little 6 year olds could be included in I would love to hear from you!!!!
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 AM

Have them do their handprints on old white shirts. I did calendar quilt tops with my grandkids from a book. You could embellish them or not. For the sewing part, you could add fabric to make a shopping bag. Double recycling and no expense for pillow inserts! The book is Calendar Kids by Marcia L Layton. Worth a look, anyway - much easier, cheaper project.
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 AM
    jme

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I get throw pillows at Salvation Army, remove the cover then reuse the form, but I actually like OmaForFour's idea of making a quilt to donate. You could sew and them have them tie it.
    I buy lots of things at thrift but never thought of that, what a great idea.
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 AM
    jme

I also agree about sock puppets. Everyone has a spare sock at home (exspecially kiddos!), every mom usually has odd buttons, and some moms even have odd rick rack or ends of yarn skeins. Good luck!
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by GwynR
    How about if all their shirts went into one quilt and they donated it to another child, perhaps a child about their age with cancer? They could send a picture of themselves with the quilt to the sick child. A very simple t-shirt quilt would go together easily. Each child could write a short letter about themselves and the shirt they donated.
    I might add - to make it a real big project - add their picture to the t-shirt and their hand print - as in showing who they are and they are reaching out to the sick child with their hands in friendship
    Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Having taught first grade I think your idea is great. Question, t-shirt as in a color with a ribbed collar? Wouldn't that material stretch alot for making a small pillow? How about something with a tighter weave?
    Washability?
    Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Let them make quilt blocks using permanent fabric markers or crayons, then sew them together to make a class quilt for hanging or a TLC corner.
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM

I helped sew together a quilt that elementary kids made for their art teacher when she retired. Each child was given a square of white fabric (you could use old clothes, T-shirts etc) and they used fabric paint and acrylic paint to decorate their square. Stamps, handprints, their name etc. The children were very proud of their quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-155587.jpe  
    Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM

You could do sit-upons. We made them in Brownies. If someone has those tablecloths that are flannel on the back and sort of vinyl on the front they don't want anymore. Cut them up to the size you want, fold in half, punch holes around the three open sides and fill them with newspaper. Then sew yarn through the holes to close.
    Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 AM

OH! and when I was little we used old stockings as "stuffers"!