Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh Boy...now I've done it.... >

Oh Boy...now I've done it....

Oh Boy...now I've done it....

Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM

I like all of the sewing projects. Teaching kids to sew at that age gives them a love for it and it helps stop the gender block. Boys can sew and therefor men can sew. I lady brought up girls bring in jeans to make a purse, well have the boys bring in a old pair of dads use the legs to make a duffle.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM

a local quilt guild has a kids day each year. they have lots of precut 5" or 6" squares of fabric and the kids get to choose 9 of them and put them in the order they like. then someone from the guild sews them together and adds a backing to make a quick small quilt. (use the birthing method)

for recycle you could just cut up old shirts and use old sheets or pillow cases for the backing. really don't need batting. or, they could be stuffed and become pillows instead of blankies.

of course you might need extra sewers. i am sure there are parents who would help.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM

An elementary school near me has a wall of quilts, each covered with a sheet of plexi-glass bolted directly to the wall. I admire the quilts each time I go to teach the 5th graders at the school. I don't know which age group made the memory hangings, it appears to be 3rd grade or below. They were made from old t's of assorted colors. The light ones were decorated by the children with fabric paint, the darker ones appear to have used bleach pens. Each block has the name of the child, and their crudely drawn art. Some designs are recognizable as an animal or tree, most art is more abstract, or free form lines. The center blocks are the only printed ones. They are the school T, I'm guessing, from the years the quilts were made. The blocks are not much larger than my hand. They have been squared, sandwiched and turned with top stitching around the edges, then SID. No sashing, no borders, no binding, but colorful and meaningful.

Although I can envision the kids bringing in the shirts and decorating them, I can't picture them taking a part in the sewing, unless it would be to tie-tac the blocks. What would be cool would be if the quilter could take the project to the school where the kids could watch the assembly process, perhaps near the lunchroom, where people would be passing and could watch. The second option would be to have a video of the quilter at work, so that upon replay, the kids could see their recycled blocks being formed into something grand.

My wheels are turning. I've figured out how I'll use this idea as a recycle project with my environmental group over Spring break. Thanks for the brainstorming session, and good luck with your project, be it pillows, quilt or any of the other great ides expressed here.

Carol
Old 02-07-2011, 02:17 PM

I made my daughter a pillow out of a treasured sweatshirt that my Mom bought for her in Australia. I cut off the sleeves, sewed the armholes and neck closed and then stuffed them and hand stitched the bottom closed. She was thrilled.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 PM

what about bean toss bags out of their tshirts? Smaller version for little hands and then they can make a game of it like tossing it into a hula hoop or horseshoes. Each kid would get one that is uniquely theirs, not a lot of work for you and beans are cheap...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:43 PM

The whole idea of recycling is using up materials we already have. The idea of using plastic bags as a filler is a good example. Using old clothes is another. Buying polyfill would not be recycling. Making things out of something that would normally be thrown out and landing up in a landfill somewhere is recycling.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 PM

How about having them bring in a smal piece of fabric and make a pin cushion instead of a pillow. It is much small and easier to get done.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM

I love the idea of using their own T-shirts, and stuffing them with recyleable plastic bags would be the "icing on the cake". The kids would love the job and would have it to take home.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM

I love the pillow idea. Something for each to keep and not horribly difficult on your part. Though don't leave them until the last minute... I did that with a class quilt project (in HS, each kid makes a block) and spent 2 days straight sewing before school got out in May, lol!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:16 PM

When I first started reading this I thought you were going to say she got mad at you--I am glad she didn't do that! but got you involved instead!!

I like the pillow idea too. I was thinking that with the t-shirt you don't have to sew it they could tie it around. You and your daughter could cut the tabs (like with the no sew fleece blankets) and the kids could put in the form and tie it around. Or tie three sides and use polyfil and then finishing tying it.