Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh Dear...such a learning laughable moment with a long arm >

Oh Dear...such a learning laughable moment with a long arm

Oh Dear...such a learning laughable moment with a long arm

Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 AM

Default Oh Dear...such a learning laughable moment with a long arm

So I just got a Baby Locks Crown Jewel with a Pearl frame. Did one practice run with some cheap material. Was feeling confident (after figuring out how to adjust tension and get the bobbin in correctly) so decided to do my first quilt. My daughter started a t-shirt quilt in 2006 when she graduated from high school but never finished it, so I figured this would be the perfect quilt to do a practice run. I think I was more concerned about getting the tension correct and making sure my bobbin was good and really didn't think about how I was loading it on to the rollers. So, I have everything checked, did a few practice stitches to check tension, and felt I was good to go. After I finished my first round, I was ready to turn it to take it up. Well, don't you know it, I could turn the darn thing. Come to find out that I must of loaded it on backwards or something because it wouldn't turn. I ended up hand adjusting it up with each pass. It turned out ok but sure was a process. Don't think I want to make that mistake again. Now I need to figure out what my mistake was so I don't do it again. Has this happened to anyone else? I just keep telling myself that each "oops" is a learning experience.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:59 AM

First, congratulations on getting such a great machine! I've heard nothing but good things about the BL. Now, as for mistakes on a long arm, I've made so many it's unbelievable, although yours isn't one of them. I'm constantly amazed by the ladies here who just get their machine shipped to them and somehow manage to put it together and learn to use it on their own. I took private lessons to learn and honestly, I still call my dealer/instructor with at least one question pretty much every time I use my machine. I just don't have the natural talent that many others have, but I do have tenacity on my side!

Have fun learning! I'd love to hear how it's going and see pictures as you learn.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 AM

Congrats on the new machine and go for it girl!!

That actually was not as bad as I had anticipated when I read the title of the post. At least it was "fixable"! We all have had our moments like that. I have a Voyager on a Hintenberg frame and my "reoccurring" error is that I get in such a hurry to advance my fabric, that I sometimes have forgotten to put down the presser foot. THAT make a big mess but I have unfortunately done it enough times that I can hear and feel the differences within a few stitches.

You will have lots of fun I am sure with your new machine - hopefully this is the only snafu that you have!!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 AM

Search youtube for "Loading a quilt on a longarm" and you will have plenty of videos to help you.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your new set up!!! I have the same machine and frame, I love it. Not sure where you went wrong with the loading. Did you pull up the little black tabs on the ratchets?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 AM

I think it is how I am pinning on to the cloth leaders and the way I turned it when loading. It seems like my pinning is awkward on the leaders. The directions said to have the front of the leaders facing the back of the machine then pin right side to right side. Then turn the backing and quilt rollers towards the center. Is this how you do it? So I am wondering which way the cloth leaders should face before starting and how to pin the material on to them. It is a great machine and now the user needs to get up to par.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 AM

Try looking for the red sticks that are used instead of pinning....I can't remember the name, I saw them on a u-tube video and sent the info to my friend that has a long arm. She bought them and raves about the ease of loading with no more pins...takes less than 10 minutes to load a large quilt! Red Snappers????
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Thank you..I will start an internet search for them. I saw one tutorial on you tube that had zippers instead of pins...oh how I want anything that saves time and is easy...thank again
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Renae's Red Snappers is what you're looking for and they are sold at quiltsonthecorner.com. I just bought some and I love them!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Red Snappers, Mondo Clips, and Leadergrips are all very similar products. Also, one thing that I didn't know for a long time that messed me up is the direction. Your quilt should be loaded in such a way that it makes an S. It goes over the top of the front roller bar and under the rear roller bar.