Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please >

Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please

Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please

Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM

Tearing at 10" intervals is the way I would go. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM

I'm a total novice so I know it's not the proper answer but I would just mess with one long strip or hunk the width of the fabric and cut blocks or strips from that. I am just learning to use the rotary cutter so a lot of times I still trace blocks. I'm practicing with the rotary cutter but I shake a lot so I always seem to push the ruler out of wack. If you don't want to use the fabric for anything else you don't have to worry about using every square inch and a smaller section is easier to to iron and handle all the way around. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
Tearing at 10" intervals is the way I would go. Good luck.
This sound like a good idea to me or even ripping at 9.5" intervals! Just be sure it would ravel enough for a ragged edge quilt. (It sounds like nice backing to donate to someone or an organization that makes charity baby quilts.)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 PM

When I have that large of a fabric, I fold it in half, then half again. I then will only iron the section I need and leave the bulk of it folded neatly so it's out of the way.

Pretend it is still on the bolt (hoping this makes it clearer), leave the bulk of it neatly folded and work off the end they would normally cut off at the quilt shop.

All of the above ideas from everyone else sound great for the type of rag quilt you are making, but if you just need a section of it for other quilting needs, just relax, iron what you need and cut.

I have a tremor that will sometimes make it hard to use many of my rulers. I find that my onmigrid rulers that have grid lines on the bottom that help grip the fabric. Glad for my go for lots of my cutting!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
LMB

Thanks to everyone. I did rip it in the middle and then the other way. Man it was sure a lot better than trying to cut it. I dont think I could cut a piece that big in a straight line if my life depended on it. Now I feel a little guilty for using it for blocks... but you know... better blocks than Nothing at all. I dont know if I would have ever figured it out on my own... I never EVER thought of ripping it. As it turned out it came out in 4 almost identical pieces. Thanks again. Maybe someday I can help someone else... not today, still new enough to be needy. Lol
Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Andii, spray a little bit of basting spray on the back of your ruler. At first it will be very tacky and it will be a little trouble to position your fabric for cutting. But after a few cutting sessions, the tackiness will decrease, positioning fabric will be easier and your ruler will not slip. Before I tried this, my ruler was always slipping and, of course, my cutting suffered from my 'unkind' cuts. Since I sprayed the back of the ruler, my cutting has become much more accurate and my quilt tops show it!

You could probably get to the right amount of tackiness on the back of the ruler by gently rubbing some scraps over it and testing how well it holds on fabric afterward. Do that until the ruler has the amount of 'stick' to the fabric that you like.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 AM

I agree with the snip and tear. Then you'd also have a good straight of the grain. And go from there, however you choose to do it. I like the tearing for large pieces esp.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
you could snip the fabric at 10 inch intervals and tear the fabric in strips. then cut them down for your rag quilt blocks. have fun!!
That's exactly what I was thinking. I do this all the time now for big pieces of fabric or long ones like borders. After driving my self crazy trying to smooth and cut and wasting fabric ,I tear.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM

I would save this large piece for a large quilt. Cut up a smaller piece for your blocks, even large scraps would work for a rag quilt, this would make it reversible even.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 AM

I agree with the oother nice ladies I would tear it