Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please >
  • Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please

• Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please

Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
    Personally.... I would save it to use as the back of a large quilt. Just a thought.
    I'd leave it uncut too --especially if cutting it up turns into a case of frazzled nerves and/or cussing-
    Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 AM

My thoughts too. You've got to get it smaller to work with it.
    Originally Posted by patimint
    I am not very expert at such things, but I think I would measure 90 inches make a snip in fabric and then tear it in half. The in half the other way, ect until it is in a workable size. You don't need to lay it out flat to tear (or rip) the fabric. Then procede with the 9" stips & squares. Just a thought.
    Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM

If you are using it for the back of a quilt, why are you doing it in 9" blocks? just use it whole.
    Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM

That sounds like a good idea. That's probably what I would do. What is the fiber content of the fabric? That might be part of the problem with this fabric.
    Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Usually this wide material is bought for backing. I just splurged & bought a piece for the Q/K quilt I am making now. I thought it would be much easier then piecing it. I would save it to use for backing if it were me.It would be hard to cut, I bet.Good luck what ever you do. Rowena101
    Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
    If you are using it for the back of a quilt, why are you doing it in 9" blocks? just use it whole.
    She's making a rag quilt, you cut the backing the same size (?) as the block
    Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Before you cut! Have you thought about re-dying the fabric to a color you would like? You can get Rit's dye at most grocery stores and it's really easy to do. I have done it on several occasions and it worked great. I even had a piece of hideous floral that was so ugly no one wanted it in a quilt, not even a give away so I throw it in the washer with some blue Rit's dye and it came out so pretty. Anyway, it's a thought.

Originally Posted by LMB
    I have a piece of fabric 108x108. It's an odd shade of dark rose, so I thought I would use it for the back of a rag quilt. (color is good for that). Anyway, I need to cut it into 9" blocks. What a nightmare. I dont even have enough floor space to lay it out. I really dont have a clue where to start. Thought I would cut it into 9' strips, then cut the strips into blocks. Sounds good... right? But how do I get it to fold in the center and over and over to get it on my cutting board???? cant seem to get it to lay straight. Can anyone offer help here... ready to go back to crocheting
    stuff. Thanks in advace, you people are the best!
    Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM

you don't have to fold and cut it ALL at once. especially, if it doesn't want to lay straight. fold it in half length wise, for just say 20 inches. press it trying to get the selvages 2gether. cut ONE 9 inch strip to see, if your ironing and cutting is straight. make your 9 inch sq's out of only this 1st strip, to see if you are doing a good job. proceed one 9 inch strip at a time. you don't iron or fold until you get ready for the next 20 inches.
    Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM

i have a very lg quilt that i have to sandwich together, and i don't have the roon either, i called our community hall and they said i can go their to put it together. did you try calling a hall near you to use to lay out your material.
    Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Hi. I too would rip the fabric to produce straight edged, but I would fold once lengthwise, iron with starch, fold again and starch, fold agian untill you get a long 8 inch piece. Then with your cutting board and ruler cut into 8 inch squares and trim to 8 inchs again. Makes the facric easier to handle.