Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please >

Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please

Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please

Old 02-15-2012, 11:40 AM
LMB

Unhappy Oh Lord, (or someone here) HELP! Pretty please

I have a piece of fabric 108x108. It's an odd shade of dark rose, so I thought I would use it for the back of a rag quilt. (color is good for that). Anyway, I need to cut it into 9" blocks. What a nightmare. I dont even have enough floor space to lay it out. I really dont have a clue where to start. Thought I would cut it into 9' strips, then cut the strips into blocks. Sounds good... right? But how do I get it to fold in the center and over and over to get it on my cutting board???? cant seem to get it to lay straight. Can anyone offer help here... ready to go back to crocheting
stuff. Thanks in advace, you people are the best!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Personally.... I would save it to use as the back of a large quilt. Just a thought.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
LMB

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
Personally.... I would save it to use as the back of a large quilt. Just a thought.
I would love to but the color is not something I really like, and it goes so well with the cute little christmas squares I made. I have had this piece of material for I dont know how long, (I think it was in a box of fabric my daughter gave me a zillion years ago.) I pass by it so often, but never found a use for it. If I dont use it now I may never. Long explination, but that's why I dont save it. And if it were a color I liked, I would save it for sure because of the size.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

you could snip the fabric at 10 inch intervals and tear the fabric in strips. then cut them down for your rag quilt blocks. have fun!!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 AM

I am not very expert at such things, but I think I would measure 90 inches make a snip in fabric and then tear it in half. The in half the other way, ect until it is in a workable size. You don't need to lay it out flat to tear (or rip) the fabric. Then procede with the 9" stips & squares. Just a thought.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by LMB View Post
I have a piece of fabric 108x108. It's an odd shade of dark rose, so I thought I would use it for the back of a rag quilt. (color is good for that). Anyway, I need to cut it into 9" blocks. What a nightmare. I dont even have enough floor space to lay it out. I really dont have a clue where to start. Thought I would cut it into 9' strips, then cut the strips into blocks. Sounds good... right? But how do I get it to fold in the center and over and over to get it on my cutting board???? cant seem to get it to lay straight. Can anyone offer help here... ready to go back to crocheting
stuff. Thanks in advace, you people are the best!
Quilt backs are hard to come by. I'd never cut it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM

Your reply makes more sense than mine, but hey, I am good at doing things the hard way. Yah, tearing in 10 inch strips is the way to go.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM

Cut it in half and than flold each half together and than start cutting the 9" squars blocks. I would cut length ways when you cut it in half. You can press it in half and than cut on the fold line. That is what I would do. Hope this makes sense to you.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

You can rip it in half lengthwise and then fold it double and cut strips. I buy the wide backing fabrics and cut it for blocks. Backing is not hard to find at an online sale price and usually it's cheaper then regular yardage. Connecting Threads has great extra wide fabric for backing.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Patimint - you're on the same page as I. I would cut it into 4 sections, then work from there. Much more manageable if you just have to cut it up.