Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oiling >

Oiling

Oiling

Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dude
thanks
So are you more confused now than you were before you asked????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wouldn't unless your owners manual says to, how to and where. If it never needs to be serviced it will never be oiled.
If you love it and it is expensive have it serviced as often as the dealer recommended. They will oil if necessary when they service it.
If you are not under warranty and you want to service it yourself you might send lostn51 or Charlee a pm and get their tips and tricks on it.
Let us know what you think and decide.
Regards, Dorothy
Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 PM

My dealer says definitely NOT to try oiling my Viking. Just got my Brother and haven't looked in the manual as yet. I doubt that it should be oiled either. Most newer machines are sealed.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:00 PM

DO NOT OIL THAT MACHINE. The computerized machines do not need oiling which is why a small bottle of oil does not come with the machine--you could ruin the insides. NOT all sewing machines need to be oiled.
If you still need confirmation of this, google Brother Sewing Machines and contact them via email or look up a brother dealer you can talk to.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dude
I have a Brother's computerized sewing machine and I could not find a way to oil it. My quilter said they did not have to be oiled. True or false . If true, please tell where to oil it.
Thanks
Dude
I have two Brothers. Big Brother is an Innovis 4000D, combo sewing/embroidery & little Brother came from WalMart, computerized but much more simple. Neither manual shows how or where to oil, but I was told by a friend that if I use the machines a lot, to take in yearly & have them cleaned & the technician will oil those parts that need it. I did take in the Big Brother, which was 4 years old, & it sounds & sews 100% better now. Auto threader wasn't working that well. That was fixed too. Little Brother is only 1 year old, so I will hold off for a year or so before I take it in to an authorized Brother repairman.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM

I have a Husqvarna and it does not have to be oiled. Maybe that's true with your machine. i know it's hard to believe since we've always oiled them, but with new technology, who knows?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Husqvarna and Janome - no oil. they both have sealed units and the warranty is void if you mess around with oil.

my old ones do need to be oiled.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 PM

My machine doesnt need oiling, its a closed unit.

But when I clean out teh bobbin race on both my machines, I do use a quick spray of silicone before i put the bobbin race back in. Stops those little squeeks.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 AM

it took me a while to figure this one out on my own. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work so I quit using it all together. Then one day I tried it and it worked. That's when I realized I had to have the presser foot down for it to work properly. Didn't say this in the manual. Wish I'd of known from the onset. Live and learn.
Originally Posted by truckers wife
a repairman told me to always lower the pressure foot befor using the auto threader,the auto threader is the first thing to mess up
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM

I have a Bernina 430. I put one drop of oil in the bobbin well evrytime I start a new project. I take it to be serviced once a year this includes a tech oiling, cleaning, and calibrating my embroidery unit.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Not all machine have to be oiled ever... One of my machines is 20 years old and never oiled... I'd be carefull, might mess something up oiling it. BUT if does require oil needs to be done... check first.
Connie