Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK another question about scrappy quilts. >

OK another question about scrappy quilts.

OK another question about scrappy quilts.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Here is what I use for foundation sewing: I often buy bedskirts at thrift stores to recycle into fabric. When I have removed the skirting part, I use the platform section, which is usually thin fabric, for my foundations. This is like getting free fabric to use as it's the 100% cotton bedskirt that I am really after. A King bedskirt is usually $3.99 and I buy on senior discount day so then it's $2.99. I get yards of fabric that is perfect for kaleidascopes or any other purpose, as it is in long lengths, and the white platform top as a bonus!
What a good idea, wildyard. I love using the good parts of worn-out, 100% cotton, sheets. They are silky-soft but not flimsy. Quality muslin left-overs are good, too.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 AM

I use used dryer sheets. I always try to buy unscented sheets and save them from dryer loads. They work great.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by QUILTNMO View Post
I would use dryer sheets before i would yellow pages or a piece of cheap muslin have your friends save there dryer sheets
Actually, this can cause real problems. Dryer sheets are highly scented and cause some really bad allergic reactions for some people. They give me asthma attacks.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ng-t93940.html Pat G found them to also be highly flammable.

Please re-think using dryer sheets in your quilts.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM

I am with those that say use muslin - I hate tearing off the paper. I have made two spiderweb quilts with muslin.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Love the bedskirt idea and the sheets. idea - thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
What a good idea, wildyard. I love using the good parts of worn-out, 100% cotton, sheets. They are silky-soft but not flimsy. Quality muslin left-overs are good, too.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM

I use old phone bookpaper too...no problems and it tears right off. Be sure to use a tighter stitch.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM

so many good ideas...like the old sheets and tissue paper...why didn't I think of that... LOL...love this board!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 PM

Haha, you got a lot of answers here, I guess you don't really need mine....I wouldn't worry about the ink from the phone book. It doesn't rub off the way ink rubs off newsprint...and the ink is against the wrong side of the fabric so it won't have a lot of contact with the visible fabric anyhow. Bonnie Hunter is pretty much the queen of scraps in the quilting world and she uses phone book paper.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Diane K M View Post
I have looked at several Lowe's websites with no luck. Where may I ask did you find it and the cost?
Hi, Diane K M-
I bought it at my local Lowe's, and it was very inexpensive. I can't remember exactly how much now, because I started this a couple of years ago, but it seems to me it was around $10-17 (?) and it'll last me my lifetime, for sure. Someone posted that ironing can melt it, and I believe it does with a direct hit of the iron (I think I remember doing that once), but it is fine when you flip and iron down the fabric strips with the foundation underneath. So far I'm lovin' it! If you'd like to try some, pm me your address, and I'll cut some off and send to you to try.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
I just sew the strips together and make a new chunk of fabric - about the size of a fat quarter - cut it out however I want to make blocks. I have never used muslin or paper. I do use the strips as enders/leaders and that makes them "free" material in so many ways!!!
On the Craftsy Class Free BOM she uses fabric underneath JUST for guidance, but doesn't sew on it. She uses it to square up the block in the end. No need for paper or anything permanent.