Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok, if I am going to be best friends...... >

Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 AM

Go for a Clover brand one. They have a fine tip for getting under those stitches.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 AM

I probably have four or five, but my favorite is a teeny little blue one about 2 and a half inches long, which lost it's cap years ago. Have no idea what brand it is and if I lose it, which is very often, I go nuts looking everywhere for it. It is sneaky and does it's best to hide from me. Often, it crawls under the front of my machine and cowers there, making itself as small as possible. Wouldn't you think it would be proud to be my prize possesion?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I don't have a decent seam ripper, at least one I like. I plan to be very chummy with my seam ripper, afterall we do tend to spend time together. What is everyone's thoughts on quality seam rippers? Is there one or two that is outstanding?
60 years ago, my mother had me hold the fabric on one side of the seem and she held the other fabric. With a little tension, she quickly ripped the seam with a new single edge razor blade. Only years later did I learn to use scotch tape to remove threads. Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by deanna.r
Over the years, I have spent a fortune on seam rippers. My main complaint is that they seem to become dull so quickly.
I'm really happy with the one I have now from Lee Valley Tools (leevalley.ca or leevalley.com) Lee Valley makes top quality tools for woodworkers, gardeners, etc.

To see a picture of this kit, on the home page, click on "Gifts" then Category "Arts and Crafts" pg. 2, although it's fun to browse through their amazing stuff.

quote from catalogue: Pro Seam-Ripper Kit
Developed in response to a customer who felt seamstresses and tailors were under-served in tool development, specifically regarding the U-shaped thumb stabber that is currently called a seam ripper. The Pro kit includes two sharp-end stitch-picker blades for starting a seam, and four safe-tip rippers that complete the job without snagging the fabric.

The instruction brochure covers straight and top-stitched seams as well as 3 and 4 thread serged seams, and the techniques you use for each kind. The six blades, two blade holders, and detailed instructions all come in a fitted metal case to keep everything together.

The blades are durable, but replacement blade packs are available for heavy-duty users. Suitable for anyone who does sewing, even on a casual basis.

Pro Seam-Ripper Kit
09A01.20 $18.50 (me: the 6 interchangable blades really give you the equivalent of 6 seam rippers; and, as they mention above, you can order replacement blades for the 2 handles.)

They're made in Canada, so there will be no duty to the US, and Lee Valley will not bill you until they send an you an email with the shipping charges and you OK everything.

If you are visiting Canada, just go to a store and pick one up.

For those of us who have physical limitations that make gardening difficult, I can't reccommend enough their folding kneeler stool (pg. 31 of the gardening catalogue). It folds down flat for storage. Used one way, it provides a comfortable seat; and, flipped over, it can be used as a padded kneeler with handles on either side at just the right height to push yourself up again.
I have had a spinal fusion and 2 total knee replacements and it enabled me to enjoy my garden and flower beds again.
My husband, a woodworker, is like a kid in a candy store with a Lee Valley catalogue. His fave gift is a gift certificate. He will vouch for the quality!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 AM

Not a "seam ripper." Its a needle for" reverse sewing." LOL
Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 AM

I haven't used a seam ripper in years, instead I use a small pair of snips. I love them.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 AM

My favorite seam rippers are the ones made by Clover and Bernina...small sharp blades that easily pick out those pesky stitches! :D
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Banned

i also like the "Thread Pic" from Clover. Lot faster than a seam ripper. It is not expensive but worth its weight in whatever the price of gold is now a days. I have several so I can always find one.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 AM
sap

Originally Posted by slstitcher
I use a seam ripper that is like a scapel. I love it and I think it is much faster than a regular ripper. You do have to careful you don't cut your fabric. When the blades get dull you just put in a new one. I just can't go back to a regular ripper anymore.
I'm with you! Have used a disposable scapel for years. Don't use anything else.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 AM

Go to the beauty supply dept and get the eyebrow thinners-usually three in a pkg. This is a nice little tool for cutting threads & is easy to hold with a longer handle. Moosegirl