Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok, if I am going to be best friends...... >

Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mona Marie
Originally Posted by Up North
I prefer the cheapest ones the others when I break them and I do alot of that, I feel I wasted my money the simple ones are sharp and thin that is what works for me!
I have one that I have used since high school. Cheap but good and it is still sharp!
Me, too! I have another, but my little blue one from h.s. is my favorite. Doesn't seem to get dull!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 AM

I have several of all different kinds lying around so I won't have to go very far for my most used sewing (UNsewing) notion! I really don't have a manufacturer preference, but I do like one that is flat and won't roll.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM

I use a small exacto knife. You can easily rplace the blades if they are dull and broken. I also went to a class where the teacher use an eyebrow razor. Try the drug store makeup area. I think she said they were $1 each. It was a few years ago, so I am not sure of the details.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I don't have a decent seam ripper, at least one I like. I plan to be very chummy with my seam ripper, afterall we do tend to spend time together. What is everyone's thoughts on quality seam rippers? Is there one or two that is outstanding?
My favorite was made by Singer,It came with the machine I purchased in the 60s Love it and the machine as well. Both are work horses.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 AM

There is no such thing as a perfect seam ripper...its the blade in the ripper that counts, if it's dull you will get no where and more frustrated. I have a cheap 99 cent one that has a great blade and sharp too.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM

I have 2 favorites, the one that came with my Bernina is wonderful, sharp and easy to use. Only the handle is small, if that would be a problem for you. They are sold seperately at any Bernina shop. I also love the Clover one, it has a larger handle making it easier to handle, and the tip is small and very sharp, making it easy to get under small stitches. Of course there is a limit. Either one is worth the purchase price. :thumbup:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM

I only use a single edge razor blade, we're not that 'chummy' but do each other favors at least once a project; when they become too dull to use in the sewing room they move on to other parts of the house in a 'widget' It's worked out for the last 15 yrs or so...
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM

I agree with you on the clover brand. I think it's the best!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 AM

I think this is a tough question. I have a couple of rippers AND a scalpel type as well. Different fabrics, threads and stitch size make me grab for the one with the wider or narrower blade. I've tried lots of kinds, can't say I have a favorite. My problem is using them too long! I forget to pick up a new one when the old one is dull. Anyway, I think it's kinda' like picking out panties.........every one has their favorites and some of us have several types. :D
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 AM

I bought one at Wal-Mart for less than $1 years ago, and I love it. Or course, you can't get them there any more.
Then, I heard about the Fons and Porter ones. They are very comfortable to use, but being round, they have rolled off my sewing table and the blade breaks off when it hits the floor. I've been through 2 and have decided not to buy a round one again.
I bought a Singer with a gel handle at Jo-Ann's yesterday. We'll give it a whirl.
However, one of my students had a really neat one. I can't remember who made it, but it had a seam ripper on one end and a tweezers on the other. Very handy!