Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OK - I've been quilting for 4 years and I find out about this NOW???!!!!

I've been using basting spray from the beginning. Just like mama said it doesn't stick or gum up the needle at all. I have also used it on hand quilting and it adds no stiffness that I can tell.

In fact I don't have trouble with it sitcking to me at all. My husband helps me baste anything bigger than a baby blanket, we spray the batting (with news paper under the edges to prevent overspray), unroll the back smoothing it as we go, and then we flip it over and spray the batting again, then unrolling and smoothing the top. Most of what I've used it pretty big and I just fold the extra backing material up over any batting that sticks out.

Welcome to the club! :D Oh and keep in mind you don't have to pay those high LQS prices, art stores carry it for much less money, just make sure it says it's safe on fabrics.

I absolutely LOVE basting spray. I use it sparingly and haven't had any sticky needle issues. If you can, spray it outdoors on an old sheet or a clean deck. Sure beats pinning or basting.

my joanns doesnt sell it right now you might check out at a hobby lobby store or a quilting store for the one who lives in spain i know you can find it online just put in search 505 basting spray
    the way i do mine is i lay out the backing (( the bottom material)) right side on the floor so you would be spraying the side the batting that is going to be against batting i spray 1/2 of the quilt then lay my batting on the part i sprayed make sure you smooth all the wrinkles out when i know it is straight i spray the other 1/2 and finish laying the rest and smooth it out with my hand then i spray the batting and put the top on the same way smooth it out then i go around the edges and make sure i have enough spray to keep the edges down good i let it sit for a few minute about 10 or 15 to make sure it is good to hold because the spray doesnt adhease fast so that if you need you can reposition the material waaalaa it is good to go !!! there is no smell but i do it outside when i can because of the over spray can be messy if you get it on the floor if i do it in the house i do open a window just so i dont have any chemicals in my house just in case there are any but never smell anything i have taken a month to quilt on it and it still stays together
    i hope this helps

i forgot to tell you i usually can do 2 or 3 large quilts with one large can of spray

Penski, I know how to find it on the internet that way. However the problem is that nobody will ship it to me because of the danger with the can being air pressured. I have tried everywhere to get it sent from the UK from America but the answer is always the same.

If I get the name and of the manufacturer then I can ask them if they have an outlet in Spain.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Quote Originally Posted by nor'easter
    Skeat, this may answer some of your questions: http://www.embroiderysupplywarehouse...t-505-1035.cfm
    Elle, 505 Spray and Fix is a european product so you may not have too much trouble finding it. Here are instructions from the website of the east coast US distributor http://www.sprayandfix.com/howto.html
    Thank you so much nor´easter I will pursue this in a little while and see what I come up with.

Elle
    Tried this company, but they won´t send to Spain because of the air pressure danger, they won´t even ship it. Tried a few more as well without success.Thanks anyway

Elle

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Wow, you ladies/quilters were busy after I went to bed last night! I use The Original Quilt Basting spray and it has very little smell - i got my cans at Hancock Fabrics (in MN) for only about 8.50 on sale, so I picked up two cans.

I spray basted my current project about 2 weeks ago and it is still stuck fast - with absolutely no slipping or puckering when I am quilting - which always happened when I pin basted! I spray mine outsideon the patio with a blanket underneath. I spray one side of the batting, then fold the backing in 1/2 and then gradually work the backing smooth over the batting from the bottom to the middle, then unfold the upper 1/2 and gradually smooth out to the top. I do the same with the quilt top and had no real problems with wrinkles. It's nice that the spray allows for the layers to be repositioned if it is not smooth.

I'm glad that there are so many of you who might try it now!!!

Okay... this report was a bit dry in spots, but in a nutshell it discusses how an experiment was done using a variety of basting sprays, and fusible adhesives and how they hold up in quilts over the years. If you are looking to make long term (to live over 100 years) you might want to read this article and really decide the best routes to take when using any fusible sprays, webbing, batting or other adhesives. It deals with heat and light aging on your quilt

I found this while doing a bit of research for one you who PMed me earlier....

Cheers

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...extiles_facpub

Very interesting read Aggi:0)Thanks for posting that-Skeat

Banned
    Elle, that was the problem I found with the UK outlets before I posted the info. They won't even ship it to Ireland. Makes you wonder how they get it to the States, doesn't it?? By boat?? :shock: Have you tried art supply places in Spain? There must be more places to buy artists materials than there are quilting materials in your part of the world. Picasso and Dali had to get their paints and canvas somewhere! Don't give up yet!!

I use the spray and pins too. Overkill maybe? I also learned about putting something underneath- dining room table and counter have been the recipients of the overspray and I always forget until I do it again.

I open up the room since I don't like smells and I have asthmatics in the house. I also slide my self healing cutting mat under so I don't scratch whatever surface is underneath. Sometimes I pin them on the carpet in the living room. The over spray seems to vacuum up after a bit.

Tonight I'm going to sandwich a quilt on the deck. It's an oversized queen (it could be a king, but I don't remember the size, since it's a UFO)and I want it real flat. It's the only place to do it. The last one I draped over my bed and pinned in quarters. Surprisingly I didn't get any bunching. I think I must have said enough prayers before that one since I was on a real time crunch to finish it.

I like the way it holds everything in place and I can pin it knowing it won't move. Maybe I could experiment and not use pins???? I don't know if my heart could handle it. :)

barb

Quote Originally Posted by nor'easter
    Elle, that was the problem I found with the UK outlets before I posted the info. They won't even ship it to Ireland. Makes you wonder how they get it to the States, doesn't it?? By boat?? :shock: Have you tried art supply places in Spain? There must be more places to buy artists materials than there are quilting materials in your part of the world. Picasso and Dali had to get their paints and canvas somewhere! Don't give up yet!!
    Noréaster I never give up. I am that kind of girl. LOL

I have a lead that I am going to follow up so will see how I go. Funnily enough I didn´t think of art shops, good idea. will try that. Thanks

With regards to them getting to other countries. They ship it it bulk I believe and it has to go through a whole load of paperwork etc etc. One can no way they are not even interested.

Elle

Elle-

You could always order in bulk and then sell it in Spain!!

Quote Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    Elle-

You could always order in bulk and then sell it in Spain!!
    I think I am going to have to.
    Elle

:-) I absolutely love my quilt basting spray. I learned to use it in my beginning quilting class. My instructor did say that she uses it all the time but has had a couple people with respiratory problems have trouble breathing when she used it. So I use it with a window open and a fan going. I have not had a problem.

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    they made it even easyer they have batting that if you steam iron the batting to the front and your backing like a sandwich it also sticks to your fabrics,instead of pinning or spraying

Quote Originally Posted by nellie
    they made it even easyer they have batting that if you steam iron the batting to the front and your backing like a sandwich it also sticks to your fabrics,instead of pinning or spraying
    Nellie, now that is a good idea, however Spain is still in the dark ages when it comes to new things like that. However I could order that and they would have no excuse for not sending it cause its not pressurised like the cans are.

Thanks I am going to look for that, anything to stop all that basting UGH.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by nellie
    nellie, can you forward some more information on that? I feel like a dunce on google just now, could get the search phrase right and pulled up nothing! :oops:

Izy
    Elle - Just a thought following on about artists supply - my ex -hub was a textile designer and he used 'spray mount adhesive' alot for samples etc., I wonder if you can use that, as I bet you can get that at the Artists shop in Torre near the bus station....... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Elle - Just a thought following on about artists supply - my ex -hub was a textile designer and he used 'spray mount adhesive' alot for samples etc., I wonder if you can use that, as I bet you can get that at the Artists shop in Torre near the bus station....... :D
    I would be careful using sprays like that.. take a read of the document I posted here a few posts up. It talks about using different sprays and how they could discolour your quilt in years to come.

I never learned pin basting, I'm a needle and thread kinda gal. I tried a spray from JoAnns for a toddler quilt to save time and it took longer to get the wrinkles out, I think. I did have a minkee project going and maybe that has something to do with it but I'm probably not going to use it on my next one. Pinning irritates me to no end LOL...so glad to see I'm not the only one.

Blog Entries
    here it is the batting is called mountain mist ,it,s a batting all you have to do is iron it down with steam ,know need for pining or making long stitches to sandwich your quilts again it,s called mountain mist has fuse on boths sides of batting it,s 100% cotton ,i used it, all you have to do is hold iron down with steam and you can also repositon if you make a boo and start again

Wowee Nellie, you have found the perfect product for me. Thank you so much.

Elle

Blog Entries
    your welcome elle hope you use it as much i do

With the help of a very nice lady here on the board, I have been directed to a wholesalers in France. Just contacted them and I will also see about this spray thingy. I am willing to try each and every method to see which is best. Think Nellie, your way would be less messy and I can see all sorts of problems while I spray my quilts with 3 dogs running around, one my little Rosie is very inquisitive and is liable to be quilted into the quilt

LOL :lol: :lol: She is a pain in the ...

Elle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast