Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok To Just Create the Tops?

I know one lady that never quilts her own quilts. She sends them to a long arm quilter to be quilted.

If any of us told you "no," would that stop you? I would hope not. Do what you enjoy and leave the worries behind. That is definitely one thing that quilting helps me with--it's calming, soothing, and I enjoy the process. As others have said before me, there is more than one way to finish a top into a quilt--and remember, done is always always better than perfect. I will keep your husband in the light.
    Laurie in NYC

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sending my prayers to your husband and you. You have a right to do what you want with your tops. Just go for it. (((HUGS))). BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Absolutely!! Just fold the tops and stack them. Rotate which one is on top and enjoy them as if they were finished. Heck, I fold fabric and enjoy it - it's not even in a quilt yet, but I still love looking every time I pass by it!

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Of course it is fine for you to do just tops. You might also want to ask around and see if you can find a longarmer who doesn't like to piece. You could piece a top for her in exchange for her quilting one of yours for you. That would be a win-win situation. Prayers ascending for your husbands full recovery.
    I was going to say that I agree 100%. Find someone who loves to actually do the quilting--they do exist. Really. I hope at least one person contacts you about the idea of an exchange. And praying for your hubby.

Hi Tropical,
    Where in FL are you? I am in Margate/Coral Springs- Broward County. I belong to a Quilt Guild. There are plenty of generous ladies that I am sure would help you.
    Why don't you exchange one top for sandwiching and quilting one more? I guess you could sort of put a value and exchange accordingly. Just an idea.
    Also, at the Guild we have classes year round where we learn techniques and most are classes given by Guild member and cost only 15 to pay for the room at the church nearby. We have fun and share the entire day sewing.
    Another idea is that you could also use fleece and use the rebirth method with no batting and you would have a cozy blanket.
    But most important is that you enjoy your hobby and if piecing gives you comfort and you don't have the need or desire to finish your tops, so be it. Enjoy what you do.
    andrea
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pjtravis View Post
    What do you mean quilt by credit card???
    This is an expression for sending it to the long arm quilter, because most people pay with a plastic bank card. Quilt by card / quilt by credit card. .
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Tropical, I am so glad somebody else does the same as me. I just love finding the new ways or notions to use. Mine is not that I dislike sandwiching or quilting. Have you tried spray basting . This is quick and can be done in small areas. The glue doe s not stick on needle . There are plenty of you tubes one even shows a lady spraying on her display board afterutting paper around it is marvellous .
    I hope your husband soon re wives the attention he requires. I'm in that short concentration link as my only brother has cancer. It is such a worrying word when you hear it. May God bless and watch over them.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    lots of people just make tops- of course it's ok- if that's what you like to do then by all means (carry on with your bad self)
    i know people who have been (making quilt tops) for 30+ years- have closets stacked with tops---what treasures they will be when their kids inherit them--- sometime you may come across someone you love-who really really wants one of your (quilt tops) and will (if you choose to give it) take that top & either quilt it themselves- or pay to have someone else quilt it for them- don't feel that your tops are a waste by any means===they are just as important / valuable as a finished quilt.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Hi, I have the opposite problem. I see quilt patterns I would love to have but hate to piece. I most enjoy the handquilting process. I love "cheaters cloth" fabric that is printed to look like a pieced quilt. In the last month I have purchased three yards of three different cheaters cloth sewn an eight inch border around them and started quilting. I have already finished one that looks like a scrap grandmothers flower garden and am almost finished a second that looks like log cabins. I would be happy to handquilt some of your collection in exchange for letting me keep a few that you are not as fond of. That way I end up with some "real" pieced quilts and you get some of yours quilted. I have a collection of finished quilts including a queen sized white on white. I only have one bed in my home now so my quilts spend most of their time in storage. I have an enormous stash as I make about 20 Linus quilts a month. Those are made by the birthing method and very basically machine quilted. Most of those I just put flannel on the back of a childish print and flip and sew. I handquilt once a week at our local senior center.
    I hope your DH recovers and you are able to spend many more years together. My DH turned 72 yesterday and I dread the time when he is no longer hale and hardy. I am ten years his junior but feel older than he as I suffered from a rare autoimmune disease 12 years ago that aged me. Handquilting is something I can do and still contirubute to the world.

You need a quilting buddy. Maybe there is someone who only likes to quilt. If you can find that person, you could trade talents and both have finished quilts. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you could find a LA-er in your area that would quilt your tops in order for the LA-er to gain more experience? Or, do what Charismah does - she sometimes will do the labor for the quilting inexchange for someone else piecing the tops for her. Might be something to look in to.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your heartfelt and inspiring replies. I have recieved many PMs and offers from quilters here to do the quilting for me. Some offers were for free and others for an exchange. I sincerely appreciate them all. I have been given many ideas about alternative ways to finish my tops. I will be using some of them. I discussed the offers and ideas with my DH and he feels that donating them to the local Quilt Guild will be the favored idea for right now. That way people in our area will benefit from them.

I feel so much better and have chosen not to feel guilty any longer. Guilt for no reason does take the enjoyment out of life. Thank you all for your prayers about my DH's progress. Right now we are waiting for the results of some tests and a visit with a new pulmonologist so we can decide on the course of treatment. I will be responding to all PMs today. Then I am going to start a miniature wall hanging and I will hem it. It might even be finished before the new year. Thank all of you for renewing my faith in myself. My faith in God is never in question.

We use a LAQ who does an excellent job. We pick out the quilting design and just wait for the finished product. I actually love finishing the binding by hand as that gives me closure. Go with what makes you happy.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I completely understand your need to use piecing as a distraction. My husband was so very sick before getting a transplant and I used quilting to take my mind away from his illness. I had to focus to sew and that became my "therapy". As for your completed tops, I would go to the LQS and see if there is anyone who will trade you services....you piece the tops, and she quilts them! If only I lived closer, I would love to help you figure out the problems of sandwiching/quilting. If you don't find someone to swap with you that is close, I bet there is someone from the Board who can help! Good Luck and many prayers coming for your hubby.

A lot of quilters enjoy making the tops more than quilting them. There are many that sell the tope on E-Bay for those who love to quilt. I am so sorry to hear about your DH's illness. Will be praying for him and for you.

What kind of transplant? My oldest son had a kidney transplant in 2008. He has done quite well. Hope your DH has done well also.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I completely understand your need to use piecing as a distraction. My husband was so very sick before getting a transplant and I used quilting to take my mind away from his illness. I had to focus to sew and that became my "therapy". As for your completed tops, I would go to the LQS and see if there is anyone who will trade you services....you piece the tops, and she quilts them! If only I lived closer, I would love to help you figure out the problems of sandwiching/quilting. If you don't find someone to swap with you that is close, I bet there is someone from the Board who can help! Good Luck and many prayers coming for your hubby.

Honey, do whatever makes your heart feel better. Right now, if just making tops is your thing, go for it. For a long time that was what I did and the closet got filled with tops and backings and the bindings all hung on hangers.

I have a friend who loves to quilt but it not yet really good at it. I give her all my charity tops to practice on and she loves it. She does the quilting and binding and every time she does, she gets better. So it is a good relationship.

But if she did not, the quilts would be in the closet until I found an alternative.

Nothing to feel quilty about. It is a hobby and should be enjoyable and take our minds off other problems while we are enjoying the work itself.

If making the tops are what bring you joy, I say go for it! Don't worry about quilting your creations - sometime you may meet someone who doesn't enjoy making the tops, and only likes the quilting. I have found some beautiful treasures out there, others passed up because they were not quilted. How fortunate for me to have had the honor of quilting these treasures.

Blog Entries
    I, too, just enjoy making the tops. So I have started using a LAQ to get the larger ones done. I SID or use a fancy stitch on seams for smaller quilts and charity quilts. No, you can't gift just the tops, so maybe you could tie them instead of quilting? I've done that, too for quilts that are not fancy. Just an idea. Hope your hubby's cancer will go into remission. He sounds like a precious gem.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quilting is what keeps me sane! Do what you love and find someone to help you with the rest. Or find a quilting group that shares knowledge or will gladly finish the quilts for you. I belong to one that very generously helps and encourages. It has been a blessing for me as well. Prayers and best wishes on the recovery for your husband!

Blog Entries
    Don't forget to make yourself a few pillows with your tops. The birthing method is also very easy. you can also make a tablecloth. I love the look of the patchwork on the diningroom table.

My daughter's MIL passed away many years ago. She was born almost 100 years ago. When she passed away she left a large chest full of completed but unquilted top. It used to be the norm that people made the tops and put them away until they needed to make a quilt for a gift. Then they'd get a "bee" together and complete as many quilts as needed. My daughter was in a contest at MQX to submit a quilt made from any KC Star quilt pattern from the 30's to 50's. She just pulled out an authentic 30's quilt from the stash and quilted it.

I just purchased a beautiful applique quilt top from the early 50's. It's just waiting to be hand-quilted. I have a friend who's going to do that for me this year. If it had been quilted at the time the top was completed, it would probably be worn out by now. However, I am now going to enjoy this beautiful quilt. Someone, someday will complete the tops you make and store away.

I agree- just stack them up and keep stitch'in! I have a friend with a husband that keep her housebound with him, and she's in the same boat...hasn't been able to quilt herself and doesn't enjoy even trying really. She makes top after top, and loves it. How many people can say they do what they love to do?
    Good thoughts for your Hubby and no unneeded stress!

Have you thought about tying them instead of quilting them?? It's lots faster and works fine. I have a stash of finished tops also. I keep telling myself I will learn to do a passable job of machine quilting THIS YEAR...(I've been telling myself this for the last three years). Can't afford to have mine done by a long armer. You can also do simple quilting, like in the ditch or overall squares or lines. Do what you want and take good care of your DH! Blessings!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast