Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ok To Just Create the Tops?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sure it is. I have shelves full of tops that I have made. You can still display them. Its all in how you fold them. I like whoever-sorry forgot name- suggested just putting a hem around them. I also use mine for tableclothes and shower curtains. It's yours to have fun with.
    praying for you and husband that God see you both through this hard time.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

It took a while for me to quilt my own creations...I was in the same position as you: loved making the tops, was frustrated by sandwiching and quilting, didn't have the money to send them out...the basting spray plus safety pins every 12" is the way to go. Also, the fusible batting is a great product. Start with a wall hanging and move up. I do twin size quite easily now but only because I was forced outside my comfort zone with my first twin project (I was TEACHING a beginner's course - taking over for a last minute cancellation of another teacher - and she had given the option of lap to twin size, so I had to be able to quilt a twin size!) It can be done but with your husband being sick, don't put added pressure on yourself to do something you don't enjoy. Do what helps you cope. I find the process of creating an escape from everyday pressures...run with that.
    Any day spent quilting is a good day!
    Judy

Just a suggestion--talk to a quilter or LQS and see if someone might trade the quilting for a finished top or come to an agreement on a pattern and cost of fabric and your work for putting the top together AND their quilting w/batting. It does not hurt to inquire. Who know you might find a best friend who likes to quilt or has a quilting machine and would rather not piece quilts? The main thing is to enjoy what you do. I just found out my grands wanted pillowcases of their favoriate things and had not considered pillowcases. Life is a Wonder. I wish your DH the best of recovery.

I don't understand why everyone says you can't gift a quilt top that is not finished. Especially to family. You don't talk much about your family, but I'm sure there must be someone you consider family. Give each one a top with a note explaining about the quilting. They can find someone to finish it. Maybe some would be able to finish it themselves, and find that they love doing that. I would love to receive an unfinished quilt top. I don't think you should give them to charity if there are family available that might want them.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    It is absolutely OK to just do quilt tops, especially with DH's encouragement. You are going through a rough time right now and you need a distraction to help you get through it. It is also a distraction with something to show for the time you spend quilting. Maybe you can find a quilt class to attend, join a quilt guild to find someone that would be willing to share with you the love of quilting. I don't think there is a "rule" that you have to make a "finished" quilt for every quilt top you make. Do what makes you happy right now,it's so important that you have an outlet. I know, because my DH is disabled, cannot drive, and I just spent nearly half of this year in rehab after neck surgery for a ruptured disk that made me a quadriplegic for a few months. To be able to quilt again, really made me a "happy camper (or quilter)" and other people have noticed the change in my disposition, as well as my progress in learning to walk, as I only need a cane now to get around, not a walker, and I feel like I have been "reborn". Life is to short to have regrets, spend the time with your DH, spend it doing what you love and it will all work out. May God bless you and give you hope for the future. I do hope your husband gets better.

Blog Entries
    I'm with you! I enjoy everything up to making the quilt sandwich. Then, everything after that just isn't my cup of tea. It takes a lot of effort for me to complete each project once the top is done. Don't give up! Enjoy what you're doing and someday, somehow the rest will come. In the meantime, I hope things improve for your dearest husband. He sounds like a winner!

If you get the urge to try to do a sandwich, Patsy Thompson has a great video on it. It's the second one in her free free motion quilting series. http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/free-video/ It's the second one down. She shows how to spray baste it.

Blog Entries
    I would love to see your tops, I bet they are beautiful, you are doing this to keep your mind clear, that is the way it sounds to me. Just keep doing them, it is good for you. At sometime in your life you might go back and quilt them or have them quilted. I am not very good at quilting either. I have two tops now that need to be done. They are just small but still to me they are a challenge, lol....I pray your DH gets better and will be through with the theraphy. It is tuff for all involved at a time like this. God Bless you and just keep on doing your tops. Post some pic's of them if you can, would love to see them.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

If it is the creative process that you enjoy, go for it. You might try however to find a long arm quilter who can do the quilting for you. Unless i am doing one that I want to be an heirloom I send all of mine out. I have used PJ's Quilting for about 20 years . (You can look at her site,www.pjsmachinequilting.com) She is very reasonable and I have never been disappointed. The only thing now is that postage is almost as much as her quilting so I do try to save up and send at least 2 tops a a time. I can usually get 2 tops, with the backing in one of the post office flat rate boxes. When you get them back they are ready to put the binding on-my favorite part! Could I suggest you send her one that you husband really likes and that might be wonderful & special for him to have as he undergoes his treatments. Good luck and prayers for his return to good health.

Good for you, Tropical. I read your response and it sounds like you are feeling better about things right now, which is awesome. Like you, I really enjoy doing the tops. Once I get them ready for quilting, I freeze up like a deer in the headlights because I feel so inadequate when I see other people's beautiful free-motion quilting! But I know that I can only do what I can do, and I'll get better as I go along. Best of luck to you and your husband.

Blog Entries
    I think it is great that you enjoy the whole quilt top making process. One day, you will learn to enjoy the quilting process as well. Right now, just keep your fingers and machine busy making the tops. Your DH needs you. But, you also need an outlet. Stay as busy as you can. the rest will happen. I'll be glad to help you all I can.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    Hi Tropical, I have just sent you a private message. Thought that I would warn you just in case you are like me and forget to check for them.

Blog Entries
    Love and prayers to you and your husband.

It looks like you have found a solution, do remember though in quilting you do what you want to. My prayers and best wishes are with you and your family.

+Doo whatever floats your boat, especially right now in your life! You may, down the road, exchange a quilt top for the quilting of one, if that suits your purposes. Just enjoy the process.

The first one I did had a muslin back, no batting and it was tied with yarn. I birthed it too. Just sewed the muslin to the top, left an opening on one side, turned it right side out, stitched the opening and tied it. It is still being used 13 years later. I have them quilted now, but I make less because of the cost. Enjoy whatever you make your own way.

This time of year it's easy to feel a little overwhelmed. I imagine your DH's health issues are adding a lot of pressure too. Maybe you can break your frustration with the quilting process down to a little baby step like practicing the sandwich process. When you feel more confident add another step like tieing or an easy quilting stitch. Right now I'm feeling that way about sewing on my longarm. When I see these complicated gorgeous quilts that others quilt I just want to give up. I finally learned to do a really simple meander with an occasional loop after a good dozen smaller charity quilts. Just that feeling that there was one thing I didn't have to be embarrassed about really helped me. Someone suggested finding a friend who enjoys thre quilting process more so you could help each other out. Great idea and I wish I could be friends with her too.

We all enjoy quilting and want you to enjoy it as well! Please do what makes you happy and creative and engaged. This is especially important while you are helping your DH. Both of you will enjoy watching you grow in your craft. When my sister was ill, it was calming and comforting as I sat in a chair at her bedside with some handwork to do. Blessings to both of you.

That is why the quilting industry offers so many options..... Long arm quilters.....precuts..... Quick cutting tools like the accuquilt for example, finish the tops send them to someone to quilt and bind for you.... Shop around I'm sure you'll find someone pretty enexpensive.....

I see nothing wrong with only making tops - do what you enjoy! You may well find someone to compliment you that doesn't care for the piecing part but loves to do the quilting or as many have mentioned, donate the tops to a worthy cause. Prayers to you and your DH for a good treatment outcome.
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by pjtravis View Post
    What do you mean quilt by credit card???
    Take the quilt to a long armer with the backing (buy one of the wide fabrics so you don't have to piece the back) and they will finish the quilt (for a price -- put it on your credit card, etc.)

Prayers for your hubby.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

My husband's step mother like to quilt only, she hates to sew. She has a friend that only pieces tops and don't quilt. Perfect duo.

Before you donate them consider selling them. Craigs list or other on line sites. There are people that buy them.

Blog Entries
    What is "quilt by credit card"? Is this a quilting term or does it mean pay by credit card. Please excuse my ignorance.

Blog Entries
    Do what you like...especially when it makes you happy! You may decide you like to quilt your tops in the future, or not. It doesn't matter if you are happy! Good wishes for your husband's health!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast