Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok To Just Create the Tops? >

Ok To Just Create the Tops?

Ok To Just Create the Tops?

Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 AM

Hi Tropical,
Where in FL are you? I am in Margate/Coral Springs- Broward County. I belong to a Quilt Guild. There are plenty of generous ladies that I am sure would help you.
Why don't you exchange one top for sandwiching and quilting one more? I guess you could sort of put a value and exchange accordingly. Just an idea.
Also, at the Guild we have classes year round where we learn techniques and most are classes given by Guild member and cost only 15 to pay for the room at the church nearby. We have fun and share the entire day sewing.
Another idea is that you could also use fleece and use the rebirth method with no batting and you would have a cozy blanket.
But most important is that you enjoy your hobby and if piecing gives you comfort and you don't have the need or desire to finish your tops, so be it. Enjoy what you do.
andrea
Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by pjtravis View Post
What do you mean quilt by credit card???
This is an expression for sending it to the long arm quilter, because most people pay with a plastic bank card. Quilt by card / quilt by credit card. .
Old 12-30-2012, 04:56 AM

Tropical, I am so glad somebody else does the same as me. I just love finding the new ways or notions to use. Mine is not that I dislike sandwiching or quilting. Have you tried spray basting . This is quick and can be done in small areas. The glue doe s not stick on needle . There are plenty of you tubes one even shows a lady spraying on her display board afterutting paper around it is marvellous .
I hope your husband soon re wives the attention he requires. I'm in that short concentration link as my only brother has cancer. It is such a worrying word when you hear it. May God bless and watch over them.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

lots of people just make tops- of course it's ok- if that's what you like to do then by all means (carry on with your bad self)
i know people who have been (making quilt tops) for 30+ years- have closets stacked with tops---what treasures they will be when their kids inherit them--- sometime you may come across someone you love-who really really wants one of your (quilt tops) and will (if you choose to give it) take that top & either quilt it themselves- or pay to have someone else quilt it for them- don't feel that your tops are a waste by any means===they are just as important / valuable as a finished quilt.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 AM

Hi, I have the opposite problem. I see quilt patterns I would love to have but hate to piece. I most enjoy the handquilting process. I love "cheaters cloth" fabric that is printed to look like a pieced quilt. In the last month I have purchased three yards of three different cheaters cloth sewn an eight inch border around them and started quilting. I have already finished one that looks like a scrap grandmothers flower garden and am almost finished a second that looks like log cabins. I would be happy to handquilt some of your collection in exchange for letting me keep a few that you are not as fond of. That way I end up with some "real" pieced quilts and you get some of yours quilted. I have a collection of finished quilts including a queen sized white on white. I only have one bed in my home now so my quilts spend most of their time in storage. I have an enormous stash as I make about 20 Linus quilts a month. Those are made by the birthing method and very basically machine quilted. Most of those I just put flannel on the back of a childish print and flip and sew. I handquilt once a week at our local senior center.
I hope your DH recovers and you are able to spend many more years together. My DH turned 72 yesterday and I dread the time when he is no longer hale and hardy. I am ten years his junior but feel older than he as I suffered from a rare autoimmune disease 12 years ago that aged me. Handquilting is something I can do and still contirubute to the world.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 AM

You need a quilting buddy. Maybe there is someone who only likes to quilt. If you can find that person, you could trade talents and both have finished quilts. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Maybe you could find a LA-er in your area that would quilt your tops in order for the LA-er to gain more experience? Or, do what Charismah does - she sometimes will do the labor for the quilting inexchange for someone else piecing the tops for her. Might be something to look in to.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 AM

Thank you all for your heartfelt and inspiring replies. I have recieved many PMs and offers from quilters here to do the quilting for me. Some offers were for free and others for an exchange. I sincerely appreciate them all. I have been given many ideas about alternative ways to finish my tops. I will be using some of them. I discussed the offers and ideas with my DH and he feels that donating them to the local Quilt Guild will be the favored idea for right now. That way people in our area will benefit from them.

I feel so much better and have chosen not to feel guilty any longer. Guilt for no reason does take the enjoyment out of life. Thank you all for your prayers about my DH's progress. Right now we are waiting for the results of some tests and a visit with a new pulmonologist so we can decide on the course of treatment. I will be responding to all PMs today. Then I am going to start a miniature wall hanging and I will hem it. It might even be finished before the new year. Thank all of you for renewing my faith in myself. My faith in God is never in question.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

We use a LAQ who does an excellent job. We pick out the quilting design and just wait for the finished product. I actually love finishing the binding by hand as that gives me closure. Go with what makes you happy.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 AM

I completely understand your need to use piecing as a distraction. My husband was so very sick before getting a transplant and I used quilting to take my mind away from his illness. I had to focus to sew and that became my "therapy". As for your completed tops, I would go to the LQS and see if there is anyone who will trade you services....you piece the tops, and she quilts them! If only I lived closer, I would love to help you figure out the problems of sandwiching/quilting. If you don't find someone to swap with you that is close, I bet there is someone from the Board who can help! Good Luck and many prayers coming for your hubby.