Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Okay - I Learned My Lesson

Okay - I Learned My Lesson

Putting on binding. Front sewn on. Hand sewing back. Two thirds of the way (on the long side) I saw that one block was not in the binding. Rolling eyes. Had to take the whole side out. Why? Anne does not like squaring up. In my mind, I am just making my quilt smaller. Well, I know better now. It's like being on a trip and turning around to drive 86 miles in the wrong direction.

(Holding up right hand) I promise to square up the edges before trying to put on bindings.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Sorry that happened to you, but we've all learned quilting lessons the hard way. And in my case, those are the lessons I remember.

A well deserved A+ for you.

It's nice to square up.

Well... hmmm.... I don't think I've made that particular "mistake" but doesn't mean I won't be.... Looking forward to seeing the finished project..... I really really appreciate bindings done that way.

I'm the "square-up" queen. I, too, learned this the hard way. We just get so excited when the end is near...lol!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Power Poster
    I was squaring up my runner today and after much fiddling, I got it all marked off with my Frixion pen so I could keep the quilting far enough away from the binding. Well I thought it needed a final pressing before finishing the quilting.....I will be remarking it tomorrow.

Well this is your lesson learned!

Blog Entries
    We have all done something similar......Welcome to the party!

I agree that the mistakes I make are the ones I remember!!! (usually lol)

Blog Entries
    Boston1954, my cousin whom I speak of often (she is the my long-armer), we incorporate the charity quilts together. She suggest that we serge the sandwich quilted piece and then sew on the binding front or back. That just makes easier to machine the binding down. But I have hand sewn the binding down with ease. Just thought that I would help you out a little.

Cherry

Tartan,
    Throw it in the freezer to see if your marks come back.

Oh Tartan!

Giggles! Laughing with you since I've done that too!

My quilts are squared up already. I do baste the edges together before I trim and sew the binding to the back, then the front. I no longer hand sew bindings. I donate most of my quilts. Sewing on by machine makes them stronger.

Don't worry I just mess up other places.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

When I started quilting 25 years ago I thought I was the absolute worst binder in the history of quilting. For the first 5 quilts I made, my mitered corners looked more like fortune cookie corners. Then a dear friend was a good enough friend to tell me that all my quilts were 'wonky'. At first my feelings were hurt until she explained that in order for the mitered corners to turn correctly my corners needed to be squared off. Since than I've tried (not always exceeded but tried) to make sure to square off my quilts before sewing on the binding. Can't wait to see your quilt I know it will awesome.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

Hi SewingSenior, I've been quilting about 100 years and I still can't miter corners! Dozens of people tried to teach me, and countless instruction books have been read, but it is completely useless. Needless to say, no quilt of mine ever was hung on a wall! 98% of them were donated quilts for babies. (What do they know, anyway!) Let's all cheer up and be happy instead of so hard on ourselves. My wonky ones are just necessary so that the really good ones everybody else makes more appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Been there - done that!

I've learned quilting lessons the hard way too - but the good news is the next time we'll all be better at it with improved practice, skill, and experience.

I don't think I've ever successfully completed a quilt without something having to be fixed. I'm famous for goofing up blocks, borders, you name it!

You are now a member of the club many of us have been members for years! At least it is a "fixable" mistake.
    Exasperating yes, but a lesson learned.

I am also a member of this club. Have made a number of mistakes over the years, thankfully most of them only once. A few had to have repeat lessons.

Blog Entries
    Well on the bright side you get to spend more time with your beloved quilt. We all make mistakes.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.