Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it okay to lay my machine on it's side? >

Is it okay to lay my machine on it's side?

Is it okay to lay my machine on it's side?

Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 AM

I think I would just not take the chance if you can help it. Keep it right side up if you can. I think some years ago, a dealer told me that the lubricants inside the machine could ooze out of place and leak where they shouldn't be,
so I just wouldn't take any chances.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 AM

Welcome to North Carolina. Raleigh is a great city.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:55 AM

I just bought a serger from ebay and it was packaged with the shipping label on the bottom of the machine. Took three days to get it and I'm pretty sure it was upside down the entire trip. It wasn't damaged and it sews just fine. However, my guts tell me this is not a good idea!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee View Post
Sorry, I say no. Took my Bernina Aurora on 1100 mile trip on its side. Did not do well, had to have repair done because an internal screw holding the frame together had vibrated loose. It was not in the original packing, just the carry case. Having the original box and packing may have prevented the problem. But....even so would I chance it again? No.
My guess would be that that was more a function of the vibration of the car rather than the fact that it was on its side.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Sorry, but I have to be the voice of dissent here! I repair machines, and often lay them on their side to get at the screws on the bottom of the machine. There is no other way to get to them, and the machines are fine. They often stay that way on the workbench for a week or more when waiting for a part, with no bad outcomes at all. Go into the back room of any repair shop and you'll see machines laying on their backs waiting for parts. It makes no sense to reassemble them while waiting, it doesn't hurt them. The only way I can see a potential problem is with some machines and older sergers, they have an oil reservoir..the oil would seep out everywhere if a machine is laid down without draining them first. The only other thing I warn against is when traveling with a computerized machine, let it come back to room temp before you plug it in.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Thank You, donna13350, that makes sense. We all run around with laptops and tablets so why would a sewing machine be at risk? In fact one of my machines needs a new clock battery, which means tipping the machine over to access the battery, and I had been hesitant to do it. However what about vibration? My Bernina had to be repaired because of a loose screw. This was on the left side near the bobbin, the screw evidently is there to hold the back and front parts of the machine case together. I thought the car ride had done it.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:49 PM

My guess is that screw worked itself loose, and it was going to happen anyway. As far as vibration...UPS (for one), ships machines all the time with no ill effects..and I know those big trucks vibrate a lot more than your average car ever would. The vibration in a car is minimal, and as long as the machine is packed well,preventing it from bouncing around, a car ride wouldn't hurt it.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:38 PM

I must share ths true story so you feel comfortable moving your machine.
almost twenty years ago, I moved from Texas, back to Oregon by Greyhound. (Yikes!) I put my low end sewing machine back in the box in came in, with all the styrofoam pieces the maker had shipped it in. I put the box itself into a paper towel box, surrounded by my clothing and linens. I taped the box with duct tape. It traveled four days, and the four reloads as I changed buses. When I saw the box as I left the last bus at the end of the trip, The paper towel box was barely held together by just the strips of duct tape. Clothing was sticking out everywhere, but in the midst of all the damage to the box, my sewing machine, and it's box were fine. I plugged it in, prayed, and stepped on the pedal. It still worked! Sitting in your backseat for two days will be a piece of cake, just be sure that nothing wet or too heavy is placed on top and it should be fine. You can lay most regular machines on their back with no problems that I have ever heard of. Good luck with your move.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:45 PM

Most machines loaded in tables that close, are on there sides. I have 2 machines like this and they are great.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
I was directed Never lay my Pfaff on its side (for transport reasons) by both the dealer I purchased it from, and the certified repair person who does their service and maintenance. They explained the internal mechanism is designed in such a way that turning the machine on its side for extended periods may damage it.
I took them at their word, especially after what I spent on that machine.
I have met "techs" who are fond of dramatic ultimatums because they are trying to look important.

charlotte