Okay, New Day Dawns, New Goals Set >

Okay, New Day Dawns, New Goals Set

Okay, New Day Dawns, New Goals Set

Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Sewing and housework.... repeat as necessary :D:D:D
Old 10-21-2010, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sharonsews
Dry my eyes - Get off computer and try to find help to keep 13 yo son from getting bad grades in Science and English because he won't turn in assignments. Any suggestions? I have already talked to teachers - my son - my husband - took away son's egames, phone, etc.

I would try quilting my day away but he does take first priority. Help! All suggestions welcomed.
Get his agenda book (or a similar planner) initialed by the teachers verifying that he turned in the work. The key to this is that you have to have a plan in place to reward when that gets done by each teacher OR a consequence when it doesn't. He needs to help with the planning for rewards. And the consequences need to be bad enough that he'd rather just do what he's supposed to do. It needs to be daily rewards and consequences.....money is good for some kids, not others....my own son worked for extra dessert (usually ice cream) and the consequence was that the power was cut to his room at 8PM (flip the breaker switch, you know) when the book was not up to par with all the signatures. Boredom was the worst punishment EVER for him. I'm a 6th grade teacher; feel free to PM me if you want....
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Sharon, Has your son had any previous school issues with homework or is this a new development and are there any other upset to his life. Some passive resistant behavior is fed by punishments and withdrawal of privaliages. Some boys seem to thrive on feeling punsihed or deprived of interests. Without knowing more I'm at a loss to suggest anything specific. I think along with the displine it's important for your son to know you love him and are trying to help not hurt him otherwise he may feel allienated from both your and your husband.
Dry your eyes, you're not alone. You're just frustrated to the point of tears for lack of the answer that will turn the situation around. Please feel free to PM me I know how helpless you are feeling.

You're not alone...
Andie
Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Teacherbailey, I remember that beloved planner book. My son was so clever, for a while, he would write the assignment with erasable ink so he could ammend the assignments when we signed the book. When that system failed he just wouldn't pass the work in and he had a locker full of completed assignments. The hormonal changes of 13 yr. old boys is far worse than with 13 yr. old girls!!! Weeping, yelling and confused girls are not being passive aggressive.