Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay no retard comments >

Okay no retard comments

Okay no retard comments

Old 02-19-2010, 12:47 PM

It takes a few tries to get the hang of it, but once you do, it's pretty cool. It glues fabric together - so cool! I did a whole set of Alice in Wonderland costumes with it (warned the actors to be gentle with them) and saved soooooo much time in stitching. Great stuff
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM

Darlene, Thank you for saying what I was thinking. I have a mentally challanged brother and I was offended.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Administrator

ok. some people think "that word" is politically incorrect.

we get the message.

we'll all add it to the list.

let's stop piling on and get back to the original subject, thank you.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Power Poster

I am a keen appliquer and have tried fusible on a couple of projects. I just find the stiffness it imparts, not very pleasing. Perhaps there are brands that don't do this, but just thought I would mention it.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 AM
Banned

Since 99% of what I do is appliques and tons of it I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. Most fabric I buy gets cut into fat quarters 18" x 22" (by my hubs, he's my cutter) ;) I fuse Wonder Under #805 to half of a piece of fat quarter at a time. I don't mess with one shape at a time, its too much trouble. I lay my fat quarter face down on the ironing board and then lay a piece of Wonder Under rough side against the fabric and press with medium hot iron for about 10 seconds. Then I just draw my design on the paper backing, cut out the shape, drag a pin across the back to cut the paper to remove the paper easier and peel....then press to your project. (just a tip, freshly ironed fabric sometimes doesn't peel well, thats why I like to keep alot ready ahead of time) I have a stack pre-ironed about 2 foot high organized in colors. When I need a piece its ready for me. But then again like I said applique is about all I do. Hope this helps. :)
Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 AM

I use it for my appliques BUT its too hard to hand applique and it is every stiff when your finished. I would use it on wall quilts only. It has to be placed on the fabric with the protective paper over it or it will stick to your iron. I dont think you want your iron fused. Go online say ehow.com or another and see how to use it. They always have simple straight forward instructions.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 AM

ps dont precut your fabric. Its easier to put a square a bit larger than you want on the fabric, iron the fusible webbing on, let it cool then cut the design you want out. Fabric is firm easy to cut and you dont end up with stuff that gets stuck on your iron. I have done the dumb thing of cutting the fabric shape first then trying to put it on the fusible and iron it (DUH) and the stuff gets all over your iron. If your webbing is bigger than the fabric you will end up gooking up the iron and then going to the internet and looking up how to clean it off the iron. A blast!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:16 AM

Dont forget some fusibles are stiff after washing. I ran into this.

Have all my pieces cut out and fusible on them, however because they are layered the piece is stiff. My solution was to just iron along the edges to get them on the base block then sew. Turn over and cut the excess fabric away. Less stiffness and bulk.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM

wow a plethera of information..you guys are fantastic! I am finishing up my pinwheel project now, so I can move onto fusable..I don't have a plan yet, so I am not sure what to do...I will have to print some of these responses up so I know what Not to do when I sit down to it :) Thank you so much!
The fusable is super thin..thinner than the paper...I can't imagine it will make it that stiff? But then again...I probably would have ironed it right onto my iron..
Old 02-20-2010, 12:55 PM

It doesn't seem stiff until you get 3 layers of it. I was making a heart wreath, one layer on top of the other and it got stiff pretty quick.