Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay no retard comments >

Okay no retard comments

Okay no retard comments

Old 02-20-2010, 12:59 PM

OK you know how to fuse and cut it lol---if you are a hand appliquer just expect the applique to be a little stiff and if you quilt over the fused part you will see the stitch holes---now I know this isnt very important to most, however I have a problem with this lol. I hope Im the only one :) Just enjoy

lyn
Old 02-20-2010, 03:01 PM

I also have a mentally challenged sister who has cp as well. It's bad enough for young people to use the term that way.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:33 PM

There should have been instructions with it. You need the double sided (that is one side will have paper you peel off when you have ironed it to you fabric When you peel off the paper you will iron on the article you want to applique to.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:19 PM

I use fusible webbing when I do machine applique, but find it too stiff when I do hand applique. It's perfect for dish towels, bags that I make for walkers used by those who cannot walk without assistance, any decorative addition which can be machine appliqued. It gives a crisp finish which looks like new even after many washings.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 AM

My daughter is learning to walk without assistence now..she is doing pretty good..but you still need to stick close to her...She has what is called a Gate belt on, it is used to have something to grab onto when she starts falling to help her slowly lower herself down...My idea was to make a new one of this, with a little pouch so while she is at PT or school and she earns a sticker, she has a place to put it..I want to do some applique princesses, and butterflys and stuff on it..She has no use of the left side of her body, actualy for the most part she still doesn't even realize there is a left side to her body, so I wanted to stick the pouch and all the decorations on that side so she has something to draw her attention to that side of her body.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 AM

What a good idea :thumbup: Putting the fusible on the gate belt (webbing) I would use the heavy fusible.If you arent going to sew through this, it will work fine. If it is going to get washed you might use a thin line of paint around it so the edges dont come up and fray. I would stitch the pouch on and not use fusible unless it is one you can sew through, otherwise it will BADLY gum up your needle. (ask me how I know lol.
Hugs and prayers to you and your daughter.

lyn
Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 AM

Please be careful what you put on the gait belt. It's purpose is for those who care for your daughter to have a better hold of her when transferring or assisting her to reposition or walk. I suggest you check with whoever help with your daughter's care so you know what wouldn't get in the way.

You might prefer something like we used to put our Girl Scout badges on ... a simple sash. That would be much safer for the caregivers.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Each belt has a decorative front..which is just red and blue rainbow colors, the back has the grip area to hold her or support her..It's the front we would be decorating..maybe give her a sence of her own..since it isn't her choice to wear one..maybe make it feel more comforting. Days like today when her father forgot to return it with her when he dropped it off, and had to drive the hour back here to return it so she has it for school in the morning, makes me know how important having an extra one would be :)
I am the one who helps with my daughters care AliKat, the school uses it to help her when they don't use her wheel chair to get around, or if she starts to fall..it isn't something they hold on to at all times. Other than school i use it to help support her weight going up and down stairs, or when I do her PT with her. I would never create something that wouldn't be functunal. :) I just want her to have something that makes her feel like she has a little more of her life back.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Hi, I'm new to the group and wanted to share a great video on fusibles. It's on QuiltersTV.com. Brouse through the video list and it's #30 Marti Michell's Fusible Interface. The video is about 32 mins long so make sure you have a snack and a comfortable chair. Enjoy.

Shelley
Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 AM

Thank you for sharing Shelly :)