Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Bernina Machine value >

Old Bernina Machine value

Old Bernina Machine value

Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Most older machines are not that valuable. They are nice to have for backup and to be relied upon but that's about all unless you collect them for the good feeling a collection gives you. Featherweights are so darn cute it's easy to see why they are expensive when in perfect condition.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Vintage Bernina's retain much more value than many other older machines. What they sell for depends somewhat on where you live and how many quilters/sewists there are in you area. Usually there are more machines on the East Coast, fewer in the Midwest, and least on the West Coat so supply and demand can vary considerably from one part of the country to another. Here in WI, someone recently paid $500 for a Bernina 830. Price also depends on condition and on what comes with the machine. A machine with a case in good condition will sell for more, as cases are expensive. A missing power cord or pedal will decrease price by $100 or more simply because replacement costs are high for these.

It's a good idea to check eBay for "sold" prices on the specific models you have. To do this you first need to create an eBay account (it's easy and free). Once you are logged in, search for the Bernina model and then check the "completed listings" box that is one of the options running along the left side of the screen. When you look at these, be aware that only the prices in *green* indicate the item actually sold; black prices are listing price for items that did not sell. Here is a link to a search I just did on the Bernina 830:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ecord&_sacat=0

You will see that there is a huge difference in selling price between a "machine only" listing and one with original red case and accessories. This kind of search can give you a reasonable ballpark asking price for your machines. A good place to sell is a local quilt guild (check to make sure you can leave a pile of flyers on the meeting admission's table, or post in the guild newsletter).
Old 06-24-2015, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Wow I wish you were closer
what she said

sigh....somewhere in this wide universe there is a BERNINA 830 with my name on it

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 06-24-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 AM

Thanks Candace.

There is lots of misinformation on the Internet, and some of it can be costly, esp. if people make purchases because of it.

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Not all metal inside. At least 3 gears are nylon and there is plastic on the body etc that can break pretty easily. But still I own 3 of them.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM

In my area "appraisers" whatever they are, usually appraise sewing machines for 20 times more than they sell for, or more likely, they don't sell at all. Here on the east coast we are overrun with old sewing machines and there is no market for them. They usually say, "Well, I don't handle them, but if I did they would go for $1500." (or $500 or $300, choose a number). DUH...if they sold for that much they WOULD handle them. Honest antique dealers will admit that they generally don't sell for much, in central NY anyway. I hear that on the west coast it is a different story altogether.

In the end the market decides what something is worth. It's worth what someone is willing to pay at any time and place.

A note about ebay: To get top prices on ebay one should have excellent feedback with hundreds of sales to satisfied buyers, know how to wrap sewing machines securely, and ship promptly. Knowing how to market, taking plenty of good, close, clear pictures, and writing complete honest descriptions is important. Showing stitch samples, if you claim the machine "works" also helps get good prices. Even being willing to accept returns helps sell machines. Just because a few of XYZ machines sold for big money on ebay doesn't mean that one can get even half that on CL. And I do believe that those people PT Barnum spoke of all shop on ebay....hahahaha

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Visiting a dealer would be a good place to start. Or see if there is an appraiser near you. ( Value) has many factors.... Market value is Dependant on location, availability, popularity, many factors. Insurance value is determined by the possibility of needing to replace. There are lots of factors.
You can research to see what other people are ( trying) to sell them for, and what they actually sell them for ( eBay, dealers...) If that is what you are trying to determine. Location always matters in resale value- what sells for $50 in one area may be $250 somewhere else.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by colores View Post
Help me please find out where I can see the value of my 3 Bernina's. #830 record-#800, #810. All in 'as new condition.
Thank you in advance. I appreciate your valuable time.
Are these the mechanical or the computerized ones? I had a mechanical 820 but now have the computerized 820.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

THANKS for the post Prism99. I have been buying and selling on eBay for over 10years and didn't know how to search for sold items. I do NOW.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:50 PM

I bought an 830 with all of its accessories for $350 from Craigslist and felt like I got a bargain!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I've got three 830's as well! I keep trying to decide which two to sell and which one to keep. It's impossible! They are really great sewing machines - I do FMQ (badly) on them, and they sew beautiful straight stitches - you practically don't have to hold onto the fabric! All being said, I also love my Bernina 750QE and tend to go for it first...
Keep your Berninas for backup, or set each one to do different things. Like have one set up to do buttonholes, one set up to do your free motion, and one set up with a walking foot.

Just saying.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:23 PM

Red face Bernina #800 series

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Keep your Berninas for backup, or set each one to do different things. Like have one set up to do buttonholes, one set up to do your free motion, and one set up with a walking foot.

Just saying.
I sew appreciate all the feed back about contacting other dealers, and never thought about the area in which I live having anything to do with value. That is a good point. I'll look at ebay solds and go from there. Thank you and piece on sisters and brothers.