Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Old Kenmore - broken gear >
  • Old Kenmore - broken gear

• Old Kenmore - broken gear

Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM

What he means by prohibitive is for the labor and part, you're looking at about $150. You can buy 4 or 5 of those machines on CL for that. And honestly, if you love the machine so much, why don't you start looking for one? I bet you see someone list the same model in the near future. We have Kenmores on our local CL constantly. And I bet you can get one for much less than repairing yours. It will be the same machine and you will be happy once again:>
    Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM

The gear itself is not very expensive around $20, IF available...usually they need to be replaced in pairs. The expensive part is the labor. Sears is not too good at keeping parts for old machines, so that could be the issue.
    I agree with Prism99...it may be time to donate. This could be an expensive repair in labor.
    Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 AM

I have an older Brother that had a broken gear. Getting that gear off the main drive shaft is really, really hard. I have a family full of mechanical engineer-types who tried, and the conclusion was that you have to have a specialized tool to remove the shaft and get the gear off. I wonder if those repairmen you talked to even have the tool. I agree with other posters who say it would be less expensive and better if you purchased a beginner's machine (with adjustable speed) for your niece.
    Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM

I would have the repairman show me the gear that's broken, then I would either order a replacement through Sears or an eBay seller and replace it. There are a couple of gears that are a PAIN to get to, but it can be done. Others are pretty easy.

The repairman is used to people who want quick, cheap fixes and have little attachment to their machines. His idea of what is "prohibitive" might be a lot lower than the cost that would seem prohibitive to you. Give it a shot.
    Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks for all your comments - it gives me fuel for thought - one repairman had done a tuneup, thinking that would take care of it, then saw the broken gear - he would have to remove the lower shaft to get to the lower gear, and apparently there are a lot of things attached to the lower shaft - he estimates four hours labor and total cost of about $400 - now that's prohibitive! I'll call a local repair shop to get their comments, but probably I'll be saying good-bye to the machine - sigh. Perhaps I really will look for the machine on goodwill.com
    Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 AM

Some things have a finite life span. As much as we hate to say goodbye, it is inevitable at times.
    Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 AM

I have a 35-year-old Kenmore too, and what I would do if it finally crashed and burned would be to hit CraigsList and shopgoodwill to look for exactly the same machine to replace it. It could take a few months, but it would be the same machine to me. In meantime, look for a newer Kenmore made by Janome - they're inexpensive, lightweight and all of the accessories from your old Kenmore will fit the new one.
    Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 AM

Artsyone - I did! About 5 years ago, I bought a kenmore 19233 from eBay, and it IS janome made, and I really like it - sears no longer sells kenmore sewing machines - sigh... But janome is selling the same machine as a dc5100. The accessories from my old machine don't work b/c it was a super high shank machine, and my new one is low shank, but I LOVE the snap-on feet, the needle up down, the the needle threader, the lock stitch, etc etc. I think I WILL keep my eyes open for a vintage machine replacement and see if it turns up. I just have to get the model # from my sister-in-law!
    Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Almost the end of the story... I couldn't bear to leave the machine in California, so I brought it home with me in September. Two weeks ago I brought it into a sewing machine company that does repairs on both domestic and industrial machines.. They said, $50 plus parts... For a broken gear? But, I left it with them. I picked it up last week, and the technician (who's been doing this 30+ years) said he cleaned it, lubed and greased it, and adjusted the belt...he said he didn't see a broken gear... I did a test sew, and although the hand wheel was a little stiff, it was not a problem to advance it, like it was before. So, for $56, I have my Kenmore back... 30 day warranty, so I've made a self-mitered baby blanket, and now I have a quilt to piece... It sews so nicely... Hope all continues to go well and that it doesn't freeze/seize up on me!
    Old 11-23-2013, 08:49 AM
    Power Poster

Now that's a happy ending to the story. Thanks for the update.