Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old School Quilting >

Old School Quilting

Old School Quilting

Old 07-30-2011, 12:55 PM

$35 in 1979 was a lot more than it is now.......
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 PM

that was so cool. I loved the quilting frame hanging from the ceiling and the whole family involvement.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:20 PM

Someone had posted wondering if Kathleen Ware was still quilting. Reading more about her, it says she passed in 2001. Because my first thought was....i HAVE to see if she's still selling her quilts.

I LOVE watching videos like this, and would still love to find one of her quilts to purchase. I would love to see it up close and personal, just for the sheer learning experience.

This has, dare I say, made me want to try a SMALL project and hand quilt it. Just so I can say I've done it. :)
Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 PM

I watched the whole video and it brought back all the things I did when I was learning to quilt. Loved every minute of it. Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Thank you for the video. Sooooo Inspiring!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:29 PM

What an inspiration! I remember reading an article on quilting history that spoke about the suspended frame and how some quilters would raise it out of the way when they were done quilting for the day. It just goes to show that you really don't need too much if you have the desire to do something. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
OHMYGOSH! She didn't use a zazillion pins to match the rows and rows of different fabrics in the lone star! How'd she do that so effortlessly?... and I didn't see a seam ripper either. :shock:
Practise and experience.

My mama's Singer was the model before the one in the film clip. Those old Singers sewed a straight seam. All you had to do was line the two layers of a straight edge up properly at the beginning, then hit the pedal to get a long straight seam. I don't know why but it takes a lot more effort to keep modern machines on the straight line.

The first and only quilt I've made so far was in 1978. It was a two colour trip around the world and I used five-eighths inch seams because I didn't know any better. I ripped the seams along the length of the fabric first, then used a template to cut my squares.

I was in my early twenties, had two jobs and no sewing machine. My mama would have been glad to let me use hers but with two jobs, I just didn't have time to go over and sit at a sewing machine for any length of time. Just too busy or too tired. So I sewed it all by hand, eyeballing the seams and using the template to check the size of my sewn patches if I wasn't sure.

My husband just re-discovered the lap hoop I used to hand quilt that quilt on my second job, which was a night shift job for an telephone answering company (not much to do, so we were welcome to bring in hand crafts to help stay awake).
Old 07-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this movie. It was so wonderful. I loved the furbabies and the fact that I didnt see an iron.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:22 PM

[quote=miholmes]Someone had posted wondering if Kathleen Ware was still quilting. Reading more about her, it says she passed in 2001. Because my first thought was....i HAVE to see if she's still selling her quilts.

Check back a few posts on this thread, I used to drive by her house all the time, it has been torn down a long time as was the house across the highway from her, I think a relative lived there. Both places were pretty raggedy by the time they were gone. I still pass by the place they were every time I go to Eugene.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the link. Her quilts were beautiful.