Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old School Quilting >

Old School Quilting

Old School Quilting

Old 07-30-2011, 03:43 PM

I sewed and quilted like that for years!!!
Love the rotary cutters we have now, and really like my Handi-Quilter!

Cutting material with scissors will put a blister on your fingers fast.

delma
Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 PM

[quote=miholmes]Okay so I watched this video this afternoon, and was kinda FLOORED and how this woman quilted. Mind you this film was done back in 1979.

But it was interesting watching her cut out her fabric with SCISSORS with a homeade template, and then sew it with her Coats & Clark thread, and then quilt it by hand on her homemade frame.

To me it was really nice to see what someone could do without all of the gadgets and gizmos, and she turned out BEAUTIFUL quilts!

Ironically, I recognized the sign for the Walton store. I have passed by it many times on my way to the coast from Eugene, OR. There was an article in the Register Guard today with a picture of the store, about closing it.

Does this video have sound? I can't hear it if it does.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
There is a lot to be said positively about the old ways.
Sally Collins in her book "Precision Quilting" states that everyone should start by doing an easy hand pieced project. That way we learn how to manulipilate the fabric.
And just this week I rediscovered the value of scissors.
I was making half square triangles using the method of marking down the center and sewing 1/4" on either side.
For most of them I then went to cutting table and used rotary cutter but my cuts were not always consistent.
I decided to just sit at the machine and cut with scissors.
No standing, and the cuts were more accurate. I am a strong advocate of just stopping, slowing down and do one the "old fashioned way" and really look at the process of quiltmaking. It just might improve our technique

After reading many posts I am convinced that the answer is go back to the basics - pencil, paper, graft paper. The math formulae is not always the best answer.
I'm new to quilting. I bought the "angler" to make my half square triangles. I think out of 80, two were square. They all had to be cut down. Maybe it's my inexperience with quilting. Maybe it's best if I just get a ruler, mark the line and stitch it?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:25 PM

watching the video made me home sick..the quilt was wonderful
Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 PM

When I was first marrid in 1950 I had a neighbor, that worked summers in the canning factory in Manteca , Calif. but during the cold wet winter months she quilted the same as above, she used scissors and the back of old writing tablets for the templates, The frame hung on pulleys from the ceiling , she quilted every day, Sold her quilts ,large double bed size for $10.00 apiece, I have been fortunate to get some templates made from tablets several years ago from my sister as well as some original 30's material, I have made up the Grandmothers fan( won first place at Mohave Co Fair) and maple leaf, I still have dresden plate and castle wall to make as well as a pillow case full of scraps, My sister made a double wedding quilt, And the magic find was today .I went looking at our local thrift srore , I need a few pieces of mens shirting to replace some diamonds in a 1910 lone star quilt, I found a 9 patch that was to be thrown out , it had lumpy cotton batting and was tied , I may try to save it by taking it apart and rebatting it and then quilting it , so still need a few cotton mens shirting pieces to go on my lone star top, . I paid $25.00 for it at our local quilters guild, no one else bid on it :lol:
Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Oh my God, that was incredible to watch. Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Is there another way?!!! That's how I was taught and I do it that way, except that I have graduated to a rotary cutter.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM

thanks for the link
Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Yes, that's the way I began. If you had a cereal box you had template material. A lead pencil marked the templates and also the quilting lines. Sewed on a treadle sewing machine and set up a quilting frame made of four 1x2 long boards that were clamped together and set on homemade legs. Hand sewing needles were whatever was in your pincushion or if you were lucky some business gave our a packet of needles. Your thimble was likely inherited from your grandma. Lots of sweet memories but I sure like the new methods!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 PM

I saw this video a right good while ago. Wasn't she something though? I so admire her way of quilting and didn't she make her diamond templets freehand? Just like most of us quilters, we like our hanging baskets, humming birds, kittens, gardening, cooking and quilts. She was an inspiration to me and I have to admit, when she passed on, I felt like I lost a friend. I was so saddend. I think the video was made in 1979 and she died in 2001. I know her family really, really misses her.

Thanks for sharing this and bringing back to my memory of this precious woman. I watched it all over again. :!: