Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: old Singer machine

Blog Entries
    I see you have a Viking Sapphire...do you like it? I am thinking of getting a new sewing machine and there is just so much to chose from...I'm a little overwhelmed!!! I was looking at the 855.

Blog Entries
    I have a Singer Model 401A which I purchased in 1961. It has served me well, whether sewing clothes for my daughter, grandchildren, making quilt tops or just general repair. A few years ago I thought I wanted a new machine so I bought one, but ended up sending it back. I didn't like the cheap-looking plastic housing. I think my Singer will last me the rest of my life.

Love the manuel that came with mine. Has a 50's housewife sewing in pearls and a lace. I feel so under dressed when I use it. LOL

do you suppose if i start dressing like June Cleaver, I will start actually cookin supper every night? ha ha!
    i am definately looking to see what the model number is on my treadle and getting our the pink machine to see what shape it is in. I'm starting to "get" my husbands love of old radios while enjoying the sound of digital!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfergirl
    How to I obtain a link to Billy's site?
    Someone already gave you a link to Billy's thread here on the board. He has also posted tutorials on how to clean vintage machines. If you look under virtual sections on the home page, there should be a section about vintage machines. It is called the 'vintage sewing machine shop.' This will have the tutorials, his 'shop', and a lot of posts from members about vintage machines. BTW, Billy is "Lostn51' if you want to check the user list and find the threads he has started.

Quote Originally Posted by PKWard
    I see you have a Viking Sapphire...do you like it? I am thinking of getting a new sewing machine and there is just so much to chose from...I'm a little overwhelmed!!! I was looking at the 855.
    I used to work for Husqvarna Viking and after learning to use all the machines in the store, the 870 is the one I used the most for sewing at work.
    I bought the 870 and had it for about 6 months and traded it for the 875 when it came out.
    I love my Sapphire 875. Its a wonderful machine, has a 10" throat and tons of stitches. You need to go look at www.husqvarnaviking.com so you can compare the different machines in the Sapphire line.
    Take a test drive with your fabrics and thread.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    I have my Grandmothers Treadle1918 Redhead Singer, sometimes referred to as Redeye but it is a Redhead. My Grandfather gave it to her for a wedding gift. I was missing a part on it since I last moved and haven't been able to use it. It was the part that held the needle. (a little important) Went last week to get my vacuum fixed and the old codger ( mind you I will soon be 72) was talking about in the old days when Singer made real sewing machines. I told him about the part I was missing and he went in the back and came out with the exact item. I am back uo and running and happy as a clam. She just purrs even better than my FW. I just ordered another Redhead that will be a hand crank to teach my grandkids on. I found where to get the crank that fits on any machine with a spoked wheel. I'm so excited..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I used to work for Husqvarna Viking and after learning to use all the machines in the store, the 870 is the one I used the most for sewing at work.
    I bought the 870 and had it for about 6 months and traded it for the 875 when it came out.
    I love my Sapphire 875. Its a wonderful machine, has a 10" throat and tons of stitches. You need to go look at www.husqvarnaviking.com so you can compare the different machines in the Sapphire line.
    Sharon W.
    I have the Husqvarna Viking Topaz and the Diamond and they both have the 10" throats. Of course I paid a little extra for the embroidery capabilities. I just love the Vikings; would never have any other computerized.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Sharon W.
    I have the Husqvarna Viking Topaz and the Diamond and they both have the 10" throats. Of course I paid a little extra for the embroidery capabilities. I just love the Vikings; would never have any other computerized.
    The Sapphire 875 is my only computerized machine. I really like the Topaz and the Diamond too. The Sappire was in my price range, the employee discount made it possible. I am mostly a quilter, so the 10" throat was
    just what I was looking for. I have older Berninas, but
    they have a 6.5" throat; making machine quilting a large
    quilt difficult.
    I really wanted the Diamond, but couldn't afford it in this lifetime. :o)
    All of my others are mechanical electric or treadle machines.

A question to you knowledgeable folks out there - I have an old Singer - the black kind with the gold scrolls on it - and I am afraid to use it as the CLOTH COVERED CORD is so frayed and it really needs to be rewired and reconditioned. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost? The motor has a catalog no. on it B.U. 7-0 does anyone know what that means? I have it in a cabinet and it is a workhorse that sews through denim seams like butter and would like to see it working again, but in a safe way so I do not electrocute myself doing. it. I love my 2 Janomes and now have the old Singer as a display item. Any ideas or help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks!

Such an interesting thread. I recently got an old treadle and electric vintage singer. Both sew beautifully. And have so much room to move the quilt around. I haven't tried to FMQ with them, but am so happy with the straight stitch. And if they could talk they could each probably tell some very good stories!!

Quote Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
    A question to you knowledgeable folks out there - I have an old Singer - the black kind with the gold scrolls on it - and I am afraid to use it as the CLOTH COVERED CORD is so frayed and it really needs to be rewired and reconditioned. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost? The motor has a catalog no. on it B.U. 7-0 does anyone know what that means? I have it in a cabinet and it is a workhorse that sews through denim seams like butter and would like to see it working again, but in a safe way so I do not electrocute myself doing. it. I love my 2 Janomes and now have the old Singer as a display item. Any ideas or help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Talk to Billy (Lostn51) about the cord on your machine. He works on machines, and can give you an estimate. (He does prefer treadles!) He knows a lot about vintage machines, and is in the process of setting up shop to fix/refurbish vitage machines for people.

Blog Entries
    I would get the cord replaced. I just fixed my mother's old Singer. She used to close up the cabinet with the cord still attached to the machine, thus wearing out the rubber on the cord. When I got it, not realizing it was worn through, I tried using the machine, caused a short in the wiring and melted the copper windings inside the motor. So I just got a new motor, foot pedal and light connection. Had to rewire the light to a plug and did it all by myself. The machine is now running like new. They are very easy to repair. If you want to PM me I will give you the name of the place I got the parts, and a great place to get manuals. Go to singersewingmachine.com and you can date your machine from your serial # on the front of the machine.

Bev
    I have several old machines. That's besides the two fairly new Janomes that I have. The treadle one that I have is from Germany, although it was made by Singer. I believe it dates back to the 30s. I have no idea how to use it or maintain it because the entire manual (yes, that came with it) is in German.It belonged to my daughter's MIL so my DD gave it to me when she passed, knowing how much I love old machines. The MIL was a finicky person who kept everything she owned both spotless and in top notch condition. I'm afraid it's wasted on me. We use it as a tv stand in the bedroom.
    Any suggestions, anyone? 8-)

Thank you for the great information. I just did that and found out that it was made in Elizabeth, NJ in 1928 and is a Class 99. Now I have to decide whether or not it will pay to restore it. One can't give them away as no store wants them. I will have to think about it. Maybe I will give DH a job and he can play with it and re-wire it as he is pretty handy with that stuff. No harm done and he probably will get it spiffed up and running again.

A question to you knowledgeable folks out there - I have an old Singer - the black kind with the gold scrolls on it - and I am afraid to use it as the CLOTH COVERED CORD is so frayed and it really needs to be rewired and reconditioned.
    Be careful, you do not want to hurt yourself or the machine. It really isn't too hard to replace the wires yourself. Billy has a beginning tute on the electrical and I think intends to do a more complete one in the future if you can wait. I am going to jump in on a World Rotary that needs new wiring in the next couple of weeks. Not sure how much it would cost.

Here is the link to the tute..... http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45814-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge1
    I notice a lot of you have old Singer (or otherwise) machines, and post pictures of them, ask questions about repairing them, etc.
    I have one; my question is, do you just have these for display, or do you use them, or...? If you use them, what is the advantage of the old machine? I've never used mine (given to me by an aunt), and actually don't even have it on display.
    A lot of us use them in either general sewing like I do and a few quilt with them.

I like the treadles as I use it for physical therapy also I find that I sew a lot better as I have more control over the speed.
    To me there is nothing better then the simple clack of a treadle sewing

I also got an older machine its form the late 70's-80's that has all metal parts for my everyday electric sewing that way I dont have to worry about computerized parts and plastic parts wearing out and my husband can fix it.

What did your Aunt give you?
    I never thought of using my treadle for PT. I will have to re-think haveing it for decor and get it out of mothballs. THANKS

Thank you for the great information. I just did that and found out that it was made in Elizabeth, NJ in 1928 and is a Class 99. Now I have to decide whether or not it will pay to restore it. One can't give them away as no store wants them. I will have to think about it. Maybe I will give DH a job and he can play with it and re-wire it as he is pretty handy with that stuff. No harm done and he probably will get it spiffed up and running again.
    If you are interested in giving it away, let me know. I will get the work done, and very much enjoy using the 99. It is worth every effort to restore and use the vintage machines. They sew SO much better than many of the new ones. Granted, they do not have the fancy stitches. And are heavy. But, realisticly, don't we all sew straight stitch the majority of the time?

Thanks for your interest, but my DH was working on the motor and it was so old and worn out that some of the inside wires broke. However, he was able to get it running again and he even got the little light attachment to work too so I am keeping the old lady and will use her when I have some real heavy denim type sewing to do. Right now she is on display with an old wooden thread spool already threaded into the needle and a scrap fabric under the needle. At Christmas time I have a garland with a string of spool lights wrapped around it and I weave it around the machine and it really looks cool adorned with those lights (which I got on clearance for $5!!)

I am glad you decided to keep her. You will enjoy using her. As I said before, it is worth it to get these old machines back in working order and put them to use! :thumbup:

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
    Oh Darlin, Use it!!!
    I have a old Featherweight and it was designed to use. Singer's older machines were made back when they were used for making clothes so they got alot of use. I'd say to have it tuned up once in a while and keep it oiled and greased the way the manual says and sew like crazy!!
    I have a treadle machine that I am slowly working on restoring and I want to learn to use it as well.
    Its not only a beautiful piece of decore but you can use it too.
    Have fun with it and enjoy!
    Faith
    UPDATE!!!!
    Picked up a Singer 66 Treadle machine at a Yard sale last weekend for $25.00!!!!!! She is B E A U T I F U L!!!! Decals are all intact and the cabinet is in great condition. Guess now I need to learn how to sew on the treadle. LOL Think my Feather weight will get Jealous?

grann of 6,
    I just love the wood insert in the front of your cabinet, never seen anything like it.
    Sharon

I love the sound of the FW and the 301, my Mom had a tan 301 when I was very young and remember her sewing in the wee hours with it.
    I have a black 301 that I need to figure out why it won't sew a nice stitch.
    Sharon W.

[/quote]UPDATE!!!!
    Picked up a Singer 66 Treadle machine at a Yard sale last weekend for $25.00!!!!!! She is B E A U T I F U L!!!! Decals are all intact and the cabinet is in great condition. Guess now I need to learn how to sew on the treadle. LOL Think my Feather weight will get Jealous?[/quote]

Its easy to learn to treadle. It just takes practice. Your FW will be happy to have a sister machine to talk to in the wee hours of the night when you're asleep. lol
    Hopefully I'll be treadling happily again soon.
    Here's a great set of instructions on how to learn to treadle.

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...totreadle.html

Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    Check out the link mentioned above, it is over 350 pages of very good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    I have several old machines. That's besides the two fairly new Janomes that I have. The treadle one that I have is from Germany, although it was made by Singer. I believe it dates back to the 30s. I have no idea how to use it or maintain it because the entire manual (yes, that came with it) is in German.It belonged to my daughter's MIL so my DD gave it to me when she passed, knowing how much I love old machines. The MIL was a finicky person who kept everything she owned both spotless and in top notch condition. I'm afraid it's wasted on me. We use it as a tv stand in the bedroom.
    Any suggestions, anyone? 8-)
    Bev,
    Do you have a picture of your Singer treadle?
    Thanks,
    Sharon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast