Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One more question, please...which sashing? >

One more question, please...which sashing?

One more question, please...which sashing?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I'd cut the plaid on the bias for sashing -- adds interest, and you don't have to worry about cutting it exactly right.

Bias can be a nightmare, though, unless starch it heavily first, before cutting. The way I do yardage is mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" it on using a large wall-painting brush until the fabric is saturated, toss in the dryer, and then iron with steam.

I have done bias binding this way, and it stabilizes the fabric sufficiently so you don't have to worry about stretching it while handling.

I posted a tip also about how to make sure your blocks line up when you do sashing without cornerstones. After you have your first row of blocks finished with sashing in-between blocks and on the bottom of the row, turn the strip over. With a ruler and pencil, mark all the seams on the wrong side of the bottom sashing strip. Basically you are extending the block seams through the sashing. When attaching the next row of blocks, line up the marks with the seams in the 2nd row exactly as if the marks were seams. Once pinned, if one fabric is slightly longer than the other, ease it in. With this method, when you are done, all the blocks will be lined up with one another. Otherwise you risk some wonky-looking strips when you are done!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 PM

I think the plaid will look best as long as you can keep it straight. Good Luck. Sue
Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Plaid would be cute!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:42 PM

I like the plaid too, it's really cute and not overwhelming.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM

definatly plaid -- what color thread did you decide ?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Love the plaid. I think that would really make an awesome sashing for your quilt.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 PM

liking the plaid...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I'd cut the plaid on the bias for sashing -- adds interest, and you don't have to worry about cutting it exactly right.

Bias can be a nightmare, though, unless starch it heavily first, before cutting. The way I do yardage is mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" it on using a large wall-painting brush until the fabric is saturated, toss in the dryer, and then iron with steam.

I have done bias binding this way, and it stabilizes the fabric sufficiently so you don't have to worry about stretching it while handling.

I posted a tip also about how to make sure your blocks line up when you do sashing without cornerstones. After you have your first row of blocks finished with sashing in-between blocks and on the bottom of the row, turn the strip over. With a ruler and pencil, mark all the seams on the wrong side of the bottom sashing strip. Basically you are extending the block seams through the sashing. When attaching the next row of blocks, line up the marks with the seams in the 2nd row exactly as if the marks were seams. Once pinned, if one fabric is slightly longer than the other, ease it in. With this method, when you are done, all the blocks will be lined up with one another. Otherwise you risk some wonky-looking strips when you are done!
Thank you so much for the hint on making sure the blocks line up!! I usually pin, and double check, re-pin, re-double check, etc... :roll: So, your idea sounds much better...I am a big advocate of starch, too...haven't tried it your way, but that sounds good, too...thanks!...And thanks to all of you have helped me!!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dianemarie
definatly plaid -- what color thread did you decide ?
Well, tried black, and it was cute, but....have to admit, I am going with my usual, match color to part...lol...I think the black will be a great idea if the different pieces of the vehicles were all larger, but since some of them are so small, I was having a hard time getting it to look right....sure it was me, not the ideas, tho....really hard for me to decide....Thanks to you all!!!
On the sashing, still deciding...if its not the plaid, it will be solid black with white stitching down the middle to look like a road, that was a very clever idea Sandyl had!!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Agree with tea lady...plaid on the bias would be really nice. Please show us when you finish.