Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM

It's not just the point of asking if you need help - it's the most basic, time-honored COURTESY OF AT LEAST SAYING HELLO - acknowledging one's presence 1) as a human being and 2) as a customer in THEIR shop or store.
I don't like to be followed around a shop either - I want to look & enjoy ! But if the staff is "too busy" (or indifferent) to acknowledge the customer's presence, then it's time to take our business elsewhere !!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 PM

When I first started quilting, my friend advised me to only buy fabric at an LQS. I went to the one nearest me, and the owner waited on me. She was not interested in what fabrics I might be looking for, but rather how many "gadgets" she could talk me into buying. I was frustrated and peeved by the time I left, and the only thing I bought was $2.99 card of plastic bobbins. She really missed out, because I then went directly to Hancocks where the clerks were friendly and spent $150!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM

I know what you mean. Sometimes I just need a little direction as to where that specific little color or pattern might be in there store, or what new items they have so that I don't have to spend hours digging. ( Not that I don't like to dig, but when I am on a mission....)
Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM

You could sent this post or a letter to the shop and tell the owner how you felt. Or send a post to the local newspaper on how poorly you were treated....
Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mswordwiz
I am fortunate to live in an area with more than 1-2 quilt shops with in a 10-15 mile radius. I did not like shop A, but fell in love with shop B because of the customer service.
There are two fabric shops I would use in Belfast, one is almost a picture perfect quilting shop but rarely do I get a smile. The other is the most stuffed full upside down little place but am always greeted with a smile and hello and usually a good yarn(story) and any local craft news etc. Guess where I spend my increasingly limited fabric money?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Texasgurl, I love your avatar quilt. Is that the whole quilt or 1 block. I think I have seen it before.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by watterstide
i am from england, and i agree with you here..but,on the other hand..we have sat with total strangers to eat, when there was no other openings at the tables,when i was with my mum in england.
here, it would not go over so well. i have offered up our extra seats to people standing and waiting for a table, and you would think i had the measles!
so true. i admit i wouldn't want to be forced to sit with people i didn't know, but if they had extended the invitation, i'd be tickled pink to meet somebody new and so obviously nice. i've offered empty seats, too, in crowded restaurants. people almost never accept.

i showered, i promise. :lol:

Originally Posted by fliedermaus
Reading through this I can see a big difference between England and the US. Over here shop owners/workers rarely greet you and if you want help you have to seek it out. In the few stores that I have been in that do greet you and actively help I find myself going back. It's a real treat.

I guess we have the stiff upper lip/shyness/reservedness thing going on hahaha! :lol:
my grandparents came over from England. two generations later, the lips are just starting to "unstiff". it's a very misunderstood condition, isn't it? especially when you consider that British comedy usually makes me laugh until my sides hurt. :lol:

apparently we are not so different, after all. just like we Yanks, you prefer to spend your money in the friendly shops.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:47 PM

I was just in the local quilt shop today, and they are always friendly and greet you. One gal that works there has the enviable ability to remember you, and your name, after just one meeting. Her sister also works there and the only problem any of us has is the girls are mirror image twins, they even sound EXACTLY alike. The only way I can tell them apart is one knows my name and the other doesn't.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM

I have to admit, it doesn't bother me much if I don't get greeted when I walk into a shop (guess it's the Britishness thing again :) ). It's nice, but I'm generally happy to quietly take some time to browse through myself and just ask for some help if I need it.

That said, if I do ask for help, then I would expect it to be gladly given. I went to my LQS recently looking for all the fabrics for a bargello quilt. It was the first time I'd really asked for assistance in the shop, and they were fantastic - after I'd picked out my first few fabrics, two of the employees helped to pick out more fabrics that would work well. Definitely a very enjoyable shopping trip (even if it did leave my purse a little lighter than I'd originally meant :D )
Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM

I have had somewhat if he same experience. I went into a LQS which for me is a 45 minute drive. I was not greeted at all.. All of the employees were at lunch and I could hear them talking about customers. No one realized that I was in the store until I walked to the area near the breakroom. Once they saw me they were shocked because they were in the middle of talking and laughing about a customers question which they considered to be dumb. The owner was among them laughing right along. After they realized I was there they continued to eat their lunch but stopped the talking. No one stopped eating to help me. Once they finished eating...then they decided that I was worthy of assistance. I refuse to go back to that store again because I am a newbbie to quilting and if I had questions about a quilt related subject, would they consider it to be dumb and talk about me?