Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by bj
My LQS always greets folks, then leaves you alone to brouse, which I like. When I've looked around and am ready for help, I go find someone and they are always gracious.
That's what I prefer.

It's my creative process, I don't see how anyone could "help" me. It would bother me if they tried.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
It sounds like this has happened to everyone - here's my latest experience. I was in one of our local quilt shops in Sioux Falls, SD this weekend. I specifically went to buy fabric to bind a quilt. I was not greeted upon entering although an employee was right there. After being in the shop for several minutes, nobody asked if I needed any assistance. I ended up spending less than $10 and if someone would have taken the time to see what I was interested in, I would have easily spent over $100!!! I routinely spend $100-$350 per month with online quilt shops even though I cannot see the fabric in person. This store could have had a much better day of sales if the employee(s) would have "bothered" to see if I needed assistance. Please, quilt shopw owners - if you see this, make the effort to assist customers!! I'm not just speaking for myself!

I actually ran a quilt shop in this city for a friend of mine after she relocated and I would never have ignored customers this way. I don't know of any reason to be this way.

Thanks for letting me vent - I feel like I'm in a 12 step meeting!!! :-)
Most of the stores I have shopped gave excellent service but I have to say the one I frequent the most which is 80 miles away has done this to me as well. I have spent alot of money in this store and always been very polite so do not see as I deserved to be treated like I was invisible. I bought a few pieces of fabric but my main reason for shopping there that day was to purchase an enbroidery Cd which cost $109.00. It took almost 30 minutes to get someone to help me and then they did not want to burn the cd for me. They told me to come back in two days because the lady that does that was busy. She was sitting in the back at a table eating cookies and tea talking to others. I told her I didn't live down the road and was from out of town and could not easily come back in two days but she still stuck to this story. I then asked if she wanted to make the sale or not? I did not intend to come back in two days. They got "Miss Tea and Cookies" off her butt in the back and had her burn my cd. I just about did not go back to that store but have with a few friends. They have been better since but to tell you the truth, I think they ignored me because I don't have that "Money Look" to me. I buy my purses at Walmart or make my own. I don't see buying "Coach" or "Prada" purses. I would rather spend my money on fabric. I don't spend alot on my wardrobe, I buy for comfort. I think I dress nicely but I am not into fashion. You will catch me buying designer "Laurel Burch" horse fabrics but never designer clothes...lol Yes, I honestly think they ignored me because they assumed I may spend $10.00 if that. They were so wrong as alot of my friends could attest I am known to spend closer to $100.00 and frequently more when in a quilt shop. Guess maybe I should borrow my daughters "Coach" bag when I go shopping so I can get waited on....lol Well, most stores are not like that, I would hope.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by uniquelynancy
I'm lucky too that I have 5 LQS in my area. Only one I will not go back to. They were very snobby and acted like I couldn't afford their fabric. I don't think i was dressed THAT shabby!
They way you are dressed SHOULD make no difference. I know some very wealthy women, who when elderly, dressed like bag ladies! Your money is just as green as the next person's!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 AM

I had a pretty recent experience.DH took me to a quilt shop since I couldnt find it(I had just moved here), and he went in with me. We were not greted, just looked at, there were no other customers in the store! The woman was rude, and acted like I was bothering her.I will NEVER go back there! I will drive 20 min out of my way(no far at all) to go to Davison,MI. The people there go way out of their way to make you feel at home, offer you coffee, water Etc. They have several rooms you can look at WIP and class quilts.There are chairs & tables you can sit at to rest, or decide what fabrics you want to put together. Lindas Country Quilts will get all my LQS $$$$$!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 AM

We all need to vent at one time or the other. Glad we can be here for you.
One of my earliest memories with my mother was going to a Piece Goods Shoppe in our town. Upon entering you were greeted and asked if we were working on something in particular, if not, just let them know if you needed anything. Always courteous and friendly. When they cut your fabric, they would ask if needed thread, zippers, pattern, etc. Even being a child (8 years on up) they would ask me the same questions. I will tell you, I was loyal to that shop through the years and it was as if I lost a family member when the chain of stores closed down. JoAnn Fabrics took over from there. The time & effort those ladies took, made a lifelong impression that I was important to them. Precious memories.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 AM

I went to my LQS (we only have 2 in town) the weekend after my birthday. At this LQS you get 20% off during your birthday month for one shopping trip only. So I gathered up a bunch of UFOs and looked on-line for sale prices of batting. They know me by sight because we are in the only Quilt Guild within 90+ miles. They pretty much ignored me because both owners were with other people. When one was available, we started in on my UFOs. I checked their batting (which was on a shelf beyond my reach) but could see no prices, so I passed on that. I asked about a ruler I want (the one you see on Quilt in a Day) that has cutting lines within the ruler spaced 1 or 2 inches apart. They said they do not carry it, but could order it. I asked if I ordered it today, could I pay for it and include it with my 20% discount. The one owner had to go confer with the other and mumbled something about not knowing what the price would be so I passed on that also. I had brought in a piece of fabric that I had previously purchased there and asked if they might have more as I could not find it on their web site or in the store. One owner went "upstairs" and found the bolt (they keep the sale fabric "upstairs" where you can't see it if you come in). I bought all that was left, about 3.5 yards and they still charged me the full price of $9.00+. I did end up spending $100, but I am sure I would have spent twice that much had I: 1) seen the sale fabric, 2) seen the price of batting, and 3) been able to order the ruler. They do sell bag/tote patterns so I took in my last bag to show them in case they might be interested in carrying the pattern. They said it was nice but didn't even write down the pattern name.

Now you know why I buy most things on line.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Know the feeling, I went into a shop recently and was snubbed all the time I was there, but then when a salesman came in, everybody got cheerful, giggly and gave all their attention to him. Imagine that!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 AM

Several years ago I moved outside a rather large city - there was a LQS in my little town. So, I ventured in one day, found the one employee laughing and talking with a group of 4 women - apparently all 5 of them were friends. My frst thought was - Great a friendly little store, etc.. Once they left, the employee came towards me and said "if you need anythng, I'll be in the back." All of a sudden, I didn't need anything! I left - Needless to say, they were out of business in less than one year!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 AM

I am so sad that this goes on in the U.S. We made our country great (well, it used to be, anyway) partly because of free enterprise. Do people feel like it is a privilege for us to come into their stores? They are the lucky ones, right?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 AM

This is getting tiresome - the same problem everyone is complaining about, happens in grocery stores, dept. stores, hardware stores, etc. We would all feel better just being our usual? nice, to everyone and hoping it rubs off on the ones who are not so nice. Can we switch to a pleasant topic? I have found Wal Mart employees, for the most part, to be helpful when asked. This company gives thousands of dollars to help the communities in which they are located. Funny no one has mentioned that, isn't it? Guess it is easier to vent about the bad.