Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 AM
Banned

yep same thing here, I went to local shop yesterday to take in my new home machine i just bought, and they were less than enthusiastic about it. the sales girl didnt even say hi to me, she just kept her head down and looked at a book. i would never buy anything from them - just use their techie guy to fix my machines.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:06 AM

I had an experience similar to this at JoAnns about 3 months ago. I was too lazy to go through my totes of fabrics and wanted to piece a quilt top so I went to Joanns (3 miles from my house). I picked out 19 bolts of batiks at $8.99 a yard. There was only one other customer in the store and when I went to the cutting table and started laying the bolts out to make sure I had all the colors I needed the lady at the cutting table was cutting 1/4 yard for the other customer. Now the cutting tables are pretty big and 1/4 yard doesnt take up much room and the employee looked at me and said "could you move those bolts" I apologized and slid them to the very end and she looked at me and huffed and then knocked the 5 bolts that I had on the cutting table to the floor. Needless to say I was very upset. When I dug through the cart to get my book and purse and she realized that I was going to leave she started to apologize and said if I could just give her 5 minutes she would be right with me. Well I just looked at her and politely said thats okay I can go to Fields they probably won't mind helping me and taking my money. I went to Fields and thier batiks were only $6.99 a yard and they had a bigger selection i bought a total of 36 yards. My sister says she has had the same problem with this shop so neither of us will ever go back there.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 AM

I live and shop in Richmond, Va. If you are ever in town, shop at the local quilt shop. I'm new to sewing and quilting. They have been both kind and patient although many times I've asked more questions than items I have purchased. I look forward to becoming more experinced. I know a shop I want to spend my money in.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I have never been in a LQS that I didn't receive the best customer service a store could offer. And I've been in quilt shops in several states from MS to GA to TX to WA. I was always greeted when coming in the door and asked several times if I needed any help. I'm going to say what you experienced was rather rare. Maybe give the shop another chance. Everyone has a bad day now and then.
I've only shopped in quilt shops in PA, but I've never been ignored or treated rudely. As Rachelcb80 said, we all have a bad day now and then.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
The local stores around me(all at least 45 minutes away) are great. But --- I was in Redmond, Oregon last week with my quilting group and we all went to a quilt store there and I was less than happy with them. I have a hard time picking out fabrics to go together and want to make a bargello that takes 20 different fabrics, 10 lights and 10 darks, and I want them all to be shades of blue. I have a good portion of them, but still needed a couple more. I asked the gal at the counter (there were, I believe, 4 employees working) if anyone there was good with color and could help me with selecting a couple more fabrics to go with what I already had. Her answer was, "No." Period. No offer to at least try to help me or anything. I was absolutely floored. One of my friends and I were selecting fabrics, and one of the gals did come over and give an opinion on the ones we were looking at, but I left that place less than enthusiastic about returning again.
I am sorry you had problems in Redmond. The Central Oregon quilt stores are hit and miss with customer service. There is a lovely quilt store in Prineville. The stores in Bend usually don't greet you, but if you ask for help they are more than willing to help. The store in Sisters is usually to busy to greet you, but again are willing to help if you ask. The store that is fantastic is in Merrill, down by Klamath Falls. It is call the Tater Patch Quilts. Lovely store and wonderful people.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 AM

I believe in the golden rule. It works!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 AM

I'm lucky too that I have 5 LQS in my area. Only one I will not go back to. They were very snobby and acted like I couldn't afford their fabric. I don't think i was dressed THAT shabby!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 AM

We have at least 15+ LQS in the Houston area. I worked & taught at 2, and I really notice how a shop treats customers.
I shop about half of them reguarly. A few others are LESS than friendly. Guess which ones we DON'T drive to??
Out of the 4 on our SW side, there is 1 unfriendly shop. It's a 2nd location for them, so you'd think they'd be pros at customer service. But no, they stand around & chat rather than greet or help people. The other 3 are welcoming shops that you enjoy being in ... guess which shop is NOT doing well??
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 AM

Boy, this seems to be an issue all over the US. I agree with some posters - I don't want a "hoverer" either! But a friendly greeting goes a loooong way as does being able to answer questions or offering assistance. If someone threw my fabric to the floor, I would contact the manager but that is just me. I had to work retail while in art school (and for 3 years after - until I found a job) so I've been on both ends - customer and retail employee.

I would be willing to bet that the stores with the "unfriendly" employees don't have the business that the others have.

Like I said, I hope quilt shop owners are reading these posts!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:31 AM

iT DOES SOUND LIKE A WONDERFUL SHOP, YOU'RE SO LUCKY TO HAVE IT! GREETING JUST MAKES SO MUCH SENSE---IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE ANY SHOP WOULDN'T MAKE THEIR EMPLOYEES UNDERSTAND THIS! iT DISCOURAGES SHOPLIFTING AND INCREASES SALES. THAT PERSON YOU TALKED TO TODAY--THAT DIDN'T KNOW WHAT SHE WANTED, MAY GROW TO LOVE QUILTING SO MUCH, THAT SHE ENDS UP BUYING MACHINES FROM YOU. I ALWAYS TOLD CUSTOMERS(WHOM FELT GUILTY ABOUT"TAKING UP MY TIME")WITHOUT YOU, I WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB!,NOW HOW CAN I HELP YOU?