Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
one of those days. >

one of those days.

one of those days.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:50 PM

KIDS............................! They tell it like it is.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

I made a turning twenty pattern quilt for my youngest niece, she was 20 at the time, in her favoritte color, purple. I fussy cut from a fairy fabric (which she loves and collects) for the center blocks and then used different fat quarter in purple for the frames of the blocks, on the back I used Hoffman's pansy print in purples. It was my second quilt and I made it for her graduation present. I put a lot of thought into this quilt, not to mention that I spent a lot of money and was up for hours every night trying to get it finished.
I went to visit my sister a year ago and found it was on my second niece's bed. She comes in from the stable and sometimes just crashes on the bed mud, muck and all. It was a filthly mess. I was so hurt and angry that I almost cried. If she did not like it I would have rather she told me to my face and gotten it over with I would have taken it back. Better that then to wind up that way.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Yip - generation gap. My daughter is the same ...we're opposite on the color charts. But then, my mother is also opposite of me. I have a SIL that is SOOOOO different than me, that when I buy her something, I find things that are UGLY in my mind. She ALWAYS loves the stuff!!!! :roll:
I must have the same SIL. LOL
Old 05-19-2010, 06:39 PM

My daughter has said that the fabric was "old lady fabric" and turned her nose up at several of my choices. However, almost every single time she has seen the finished product, she has exclaimed, albeit somewhat grudgingly once or twice, how really great they look.

I keep telling her that when you're making a quilt, it's ok to use "old lady fabric" and that if the quilt design is a good one, the "old lady fabric" will look great in the finished quilt.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Finish the one you have started. It will find a home somewhere. I have my kids and DGD go with me to pick out the fabric for their quilts. It works better that way.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 AM

For the first few seconds after reading this post I was thinking bad thoughts about the granddaughter. Then I remembered that when I was about 10 (which was 52 years ago) my grandmother made me a quilt. It was pink and blue and white. She made it on her treadle machine. She didn't have money for patterns, so she'd see a design in the newspaper (they advertised patterns on the same page as the comics, if I remember correctly) and make her own templates and cut them out with her scissors. I remember thinking it was old-fashioned. My friends had "store-bought" comforters on their bed, so when they visited I'd turn the quilt over to the plain pink side. I still had the quilt when I got married, and it got washed many times. Before I really knew how to quilt I replaced the batting, and then the backing. And washed it many more times. Now all that is left are the corners. I've cut them out and put them in a shadow box with a picture of my grandmother. It's hanging in my sewing room, and it inspires me. My grandmother inspires me. So I didn't love it when it was new. And now that only small pieces are left, I cherish it. As I do memories of my grandmother.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 AM

Similar experience here...Friend is expecting a little girl so I had a pink/white top ready to be sandwiched. At friend's daughter's birthday party (for which I had made a purple one with Tinkerbell backing) I found out she does NOT want any pink until the little one picks pink of her own choice. So back to the store for 'not pink' fabric. Found some adorable fabric...lime green background, lady bugs, dragonflies and butterflies (a few are pink) and the words 'girl bugs'...lime green and yellow sashing & then got lime green flannel for the backing. Almost done with the flannel overlap binding. Hope to give it to her this weekend. Missed the shower today as I was at work and the binding was not done either.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by lnikkers52
I was working on a quilt for my 24 yr old grandughter. she saw it and said who are you making that for ? well it was going to be a surprise so i side no one inparticuler. Hopping all the while she would say oh it's beautiful , i love it, love the colors, would you make one for me. BUTTTT what i got was well if you ever make one for please don't use thos old granny colors. Guess she shot me down . so I asked her If I ever make you a quilt what colors do you want . black and red. not gothic but just pretty. well my pride was hurt but i was just wondering if any one else got shot down.now i gotta go find a nice black and red pattern . Darn kids anyhow. :)
I do hope that my niece who is the same as as your granddaughter also like red and black...as I just finished her a red, white and black quilt.......here's hoping.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:39 AM

I have been disappointed many times in the reaction of my DILs when they received hand quilted baby quilts for their babies. They thanked me but just no excitement or appreciation for the cute quilts and all the hard work. But the worst was when my DIL asked me to make a quilt for her oldest son, with Cars fabric (from the movie) and said she would pay for the materials. I made it, sent her the amount due, (which she never paid) and then mailed the quilt to her. She never thanked me, or even acknowledged it! I know she got it because my husband asked if she got her package of xmas gifts and she said yes. But no special mention of the quilt. Never again!! But... on a bright note, I am making my DGD (who is 16) a quilt and asked her favorite colors. She said purple. I had just finished a scrappy purple bear paws top and the next time I saw her I brought the top to show her. She grabbed it, hugged it to her chest and said, "MINE!!" So, I think she'll like it! Now I just have to quilt it.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:41 AM

That's terrible! I've come to the conclusion that some people are "quilt worthy" and others are NOT!