Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
one of those days. >

one of those days.

one of those days.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 AM

I was making a sampler quilt for my future daughter-in-law but I got a feeling it was not just right. So I took her to the quilt store where there was a sample of what I was making.
I showed her several quilts and she picked out a completely different one than what I was making. I then asked her what she thought about the sampler and she said that she did not like it.
I know if I had given it to her she would have been very happy and accepted it with grace. But when I put all that work into something I want the receiver to be VERY happy. So I put that quilt into what I call time out. Several months I took her back to the quilt store and we picked out the fabric together.
Some day I will finish the other quilt and give it to someone else.
Wait till the baby turns one and make a special quilt to it then.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

i always ask, "if i ever getting around to making you a quilt what colors/theme do you think you'd like?"
when i finished my daughter's wedding quilt my oldest son asked if he was getting one next...i said of course. i had been collecting patterns and fabrics for months for his, knew exactly what i planned to do...he blew me right out of the water...when he said, "i would like a star quilt" my response...really? i thought you would want wizards/dragons...nope, i want stars...i never try to second guess anymore. i have given quilts that i did not ask ahead of time and have only had one person in 34 years say, "it's nice but i sure wish it was..." don't take it personal, she is trying to avoid hurting you, not liking what you did. i would rather they offer the info than spend the time making and giving to have it not well received.
and someone else will find the 'granny color' one exactly what they love!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 AM

I went into the Search engine and there were a lot of quilts there in red, black and white that may be helpful to you.
Good luck.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM

I know how you feel. I am relatively new to quilting & after my first quilt (a baby quilt I made for my niece's little girl) I was taking a class & the pattern was a large sized sampler wall hanging. I carefully and painstakingly picked out my mom's favorite colors & had it all sandwiched ready to quilt & my mom saw it. I was excited and spilled the beans that it was for her. She looked at me & said, "Oh, I don't have anywhere to hang that, but it's very pretty." Unfortunately, it hurt & I put it away & never finished it. Just recently I found it & decided to quilt it for me. Sometimes I wish people would think before they speak. Oh, well....gotta love MOM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 AM

If it makes you feel better - I was making a sampler quilt for my DD & her hubby for a wedding gift - had been making it over several years. Comes time for actually planning the wedding, every suggestion I made was "too country" so I looked at the quilt blocks and decided to make something less "countrified".
That was July '09 - fast forward to Christmas '09 when I made 5 wallhanging for the 3 couple to pick from. DD & her DH choose the most country one of the bunch which was the made from the sampler quilt blocks!

Wedding Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69977[/ATTACH]

Christmas Wallhanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69978[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69972.jpe   attachment-69973.jpe  
Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Ouch. However, at least now you know that the quilt that you will make she will love. You should tell her the story and she'll get a laugh after the fact! Hope someone still benefits from the quilt you are working on now!!
:)
Old 05-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I am sorry that happened. Granddaughters are hard. Just when you think you know them, what they like and what is on their mind they change the rules. I think surprise is not going to be an option. Maybe she would enjoy going with you to choose the pattern and fabric?
That's so true about GD's mine went from only purple, to purple and lime green, and within three months now would like black included.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pstoner
I am sorry that happened. Granddaughters are hard. Just when you think you know them, what they like and what is on their mind they change the rules. I think surprise is not going to be an option. Maybe she would enjoy going with you to choose the pattern and fabric?
That's so true about GD's mine went from only purple, to purple and lime green, and within three months now would like black included.
I have some GREAT Halloween fabric with those three colors in it!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by pstoner
I have some GREAT Halloween fabric with those three colors in it!
Thanks, but it was a birth photo wallhanging and I have only to put the sleeve on it and it will be complete.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 AM

At least you know before you were finished and gave it to her. Keep the other one for someone else - or even yourself (I always say I'm going to keep one, but never do)