Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
one of those days. >

one of those days.

one of those days.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:02 AM

That is why I no longer sew for my daughter. She has to try on 20 dresses before she can pick the right one. I made her a prom dress that she was never really happy with. I'm so sorry you put all that work in and it was not appreciated. Someone else will love it.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:02 AM

You know what? My mom spent her time making things for her three granddaughters and one grandson. Sometimes my sister would hurt her feelings and sometimes I probably did too. Sometimes the kids liked what she made. Sometimes they didn't. Mom has been gone now for 5 years and whenever we are purging our belongings, "NAN MADE THAT! You're not throwing THAT away!" echoes in our house.

Some people know the price of everything but the value of nothing... and others learn it later!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:19 AM

thanks everyone, my GD is leaving town. Going back home to Wy. So I took her shopping she picked material and pattern. the other one I had started I did cut it all and had 4 squares done But I like it so im gonna keep it for myself.:) thanks again for kind words and ideas.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 AM

What a good attitude you have!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 AM

Kids! Oh well, at least now you know what she does like. There was a nice, black, white and red disappearing 9 patch on this message board yesterday. I didn't keep the link, but you can search on Disappearing 9 patch. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by lnikkers52
thanks everyone, my GD is leaving town. Going back home to Wy. So I took her shopping she picked material and pattern. the other one I had started I did cut it all and had 4 squares done But I like it so im gonna keep it for myself.:) thanks again for kind words and ideas.
And she will keep it forever, and treasure it because you listened to her.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:34 AM

My GD requested a Princess quilt yesterday. I asked her where her Dora quilt was and she said it's on my bed Nana, but I need one I can cuddle with......lol! Her next door neighbor is making her a quilt also......this kid is 4 and a quilt queen......LOL!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 AM

I had something similar happen to me.... Although I wasn't planning on making a quilt for her; a freind said' you should make me a quilt, but don't make it quilty looking, I hate that'...
I just replied 'ok..' isn't that the whole point of a quilt? to look quilty? She seems like more of a blanket type person to me.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 AM

I have been fortunate that all my family loves my quilts, and eagerly await or say that one is mine. But when it comes to Christmas,BD or a special gift giving time, I give gift certificates and let them get their own stuff, esp my DGDs. That is what they want.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by lnikkers52
I was working on a quilt for my 24 yr old grandughter. she saw it and said who are you making that for ? well it was going to be a surprise so i side no one inparticuler. Hopping all the while she would say oh it's beautiful , i love it, love the colors, would you make one for me. BUTTTT what i got was well if you ever make one for please don't use thos old granny colors. Guess she shot me down . so I asked her If I ever make you a quilt what colors do you want . black and red. not gothic but just pretty. well my pride was hurt but i was just wondering if any one else got shot down.now i gotta go find a nice black and red pattern . Darn kids anyhow. :)
Well, it's not exactly fair to try to elicit an opinion when she didn't think it was for her. I KNOW it's not fun to realize that someone isn't thrilled with your choices - guess HOW I know!!:). Finish the quilt and give it to an "old granny" friend(or keep it) and make her the quilt she wants. I can't aniticipate what my kids or nieces or nephews will want, so if you want to be sure the quilt receipient will LOVE your quilt - you'll have to ask what they like!