Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
one of those days. >

one of those days.

one of those days.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM

I made a lap quilt for my teenaged granddaughter, but I already knew her favorite colors. And I always name my quilts... this one was The Neon Quilt. She loved it. I just about had to wear sunglasses to sew it.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:10 PM

You know what I did with my daughter (college aged) before I made her quilt and it worked well? I heard that Lowe's had paint swatches that have four accent colors that go with the main color (not necessarily in the same color family). I had her go with me to pick some up and made a note in my mind of the ones she seemed to really like and then used that for my color palette for her quilt. It was the perfect solution for me - maybe you can try that.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM

when I made my stepdaugthers quilts I am SO thankful I let them choose the fabrics - I would NEVER have done what they did - surprises are nice, but sometimes it's reversed and WE are the surprised ones - when they don't like them>...
Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

I am sorry that happened to you. But, kids can be very frank about thier feelings.
I know there must be someone else to finish it for that would love it!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I can understand and relate to your feelings -

but you did not say it was for GD - so how would she know???

Perhaps it will be a "happy coincidence" that she saw it at this stage and you can go in a different direction? (After you get your feathers smoothed down - - - )
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Ouch!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
You know what I did with my daughter (college aged) before I made her quilt and it worked well? I heard that Lowe's had paint swatches that have four accent colors that go with the main color (not necessarily in the same color family). I had her go with me to pick some up and made a note in my mind of the ones she seemed to really like and then used that for my color palette for her quilt. It was the perfect solution for me - maybe you can try that.
what a great idea - the quilt was a surprise for her and you did it in just the right colors.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 PM

There are some very beautiful red white black Qts. Some nice ideas for you grandD- she will get her own when she has grand kids. Just give her love.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM

I always try to find out a person's color preference. I know the colors I like, but I'm "old" per my grandkids, so I know I don't like the same as them. My daughter thinks country is very old fashioned and won't have it. My oldest grandaughter liked pink and black, the next one brown and pink, the little one likes green...any color green, just green (at 2!!!). The boys aren't picky, just prefer certain characters. So....it's hard to choose without checking in with them first!!! Sorry your feelings were hurt, but I'm sure she would have said she loved it if you had told her it was hers!! They don't hurt us on purpose, Grandma!! :( :( ;)
Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
So sorry , but I am sure if she had known it was for her she wouldn't have been so open about it . Maybe put it away until she gets older and will appreciate it more :lol: