Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
online fabric >

online fabric

online fabric

Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Wow that is a shame. I would contact the seller and let them know of the problem and hope they will correct the problem.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Was this fabric 100% cotton? Was it from a well known manufacturer?

I'm aware of smells like petroleum on some things that are synthetics, especially a purse divider item I bought a year ago that was so bad it sat on my screened porch for months before I finally threw it out because it still reeked. (I mean smelled as bad as if I had put my face right down on a newly tarred road surface!) Made overseas. This is more frequently noticed by me these days than ever before. I wonder if it's the conditions in manufacturing facilities -- or, in the case of fabrics, in the dyeing facilities? Those poor workers!

Jan in VA
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Don't laugh, but there could be something wrong with her nose...Both my DH and MIL (when she was alive) couldn't smell anything. Regardless, she needed to be told. I can't imagine all her fabric smelling so strong and still sending it out, or for that matter, even being around it!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 PM

it was 100 percent cotton i bought some of the same fabric at a walmart 30 miles from my house it was more expensive plus the gas and time to go back plus there wasnt much let on the bolt they might not have anymore so i really thought this was a good idea. my walmart here didnt have any at all and i didnt see any at joanns last week either but i had already purchased this although it didnt get here til today i knew i had it coming so i wasnt looking.
the selvidge says copyright by n t t inc ??? its nfl fabric its a dallas cowboy tie die looking fabric. im making a 9 patch and thought it would look good as a solid square in between the 9 patch blocks im also making some squares out of the 1st yuard i bought at walmart it looks awesome with gray fabric.
carla
Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 PM

She probably couldn't smell it herself. I went to visit my brother the other day and his house reeked so bad with mothballs I couldn't stay inside. he didn't notice it. He had put them under his house about three weeks ago to discourage skunks and squirrels from invading his home. well, it prevented me from invading too!
But, in any case, he didn't notice it at all, but I bet anything coming out his home would stink too...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by carla m View Post
im sure she could smell it when she put it in the envelope how could you not ??? she obviously mailed it anyway and i did get 90 percent of it out with 3 washes with vinegar i just thought it was seriously unprofessional to mail it out that way. but if you think i need to notify her of something obvious i will send her an email. she has alot of fabric on her website id hate to think everything smelled like that it was truly an awful smell it smelled almost like it was soaked in perfume or something not the regular formaldahyde smell you smell in fabric stores.
carla
Both my former and current MIL have no sense of smell. None at all. So please do not assume that the person shipping would have been aware of a smell in the fabric. The former was born without a sense of smell the current had a head injury as a child and lost hers.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM

well i finally got an answer back from the seller on my fabric. she said she had gotten the fabric from a supplier who had stored the fabric in a warehouse and she did notice the smell however she assumed it just needed airing out and she stuck a dryer sheet in the carton with the fabric to help the smell but didnt realize it was that bad i read all her feedback on her sales and this isnt the first timeshes had a comment about it so i guess its partly my fault for not investigating. she did offer to return my money im going to take the fabric to work and see if anyone else notices w/o telling them i know my nose is a little sensitive with my asthsema so ill decide whether to send it back.
carla m
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM

i like thousands of bolts and only one nut...they have a great staff...only problem, you have to have online information...you cannot place an order over the phone...i dont like leaving my credit card number...but everything is going that way now....they have great sales & some sales have low shipping....
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 AM

what site did you purchase this from? I buy a lot on line and would love to avoid your experience.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM

Here is a place I like.. Sistersandquilters.com