Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
online quilt store questions >

online quilt store questions

online quilt store questions

Old 04-18-2015, 09:07 AM

Default Half yard increments

[QUOTE=feline fanatic;7166816]Many on line quilt shops price in half yard increments. A few even price in quarter yard increments. This is not because the fabric store is trying to be sneaky, it is because most shopping cart programs only accommodate "whole units". Fabric is one of the few items marketed in fractional units. If on line quilt shops won't cut less than one yard (like thousands of bolts) they usually price in the increments they are willing to cut.

It is the purchasers responsibility to pay attention to what they are ordering on line and that the price is for the quantity they intend to purchase.

I have a hard time buying this. It is confusing to price in 1/2 yds There are some people who just aren't that savvy. Surely the big fabric stores can get software that prices in yard incrediments. I won't buy from stores that don't. I always write and tell them so too! I think it is sneaky and can't believe I am the only one who thinks that way. I don't appreciate buyer be aware when I am shopping for fabric. Geri
Old 04-18-2015, 09:38 AM

The search results with out of date items/prices is not just a problem with small, independent quilt stores. I have also had this problem with Walmart! Doing an online search, I found a lego set I really liked at Walmart, for a good price. But it was out of stock. Upon further searching, this Lego set was discontinued 7 years ago. It was available on EBay, for much more $$$. I am really annoyed at Walmart for not cleaning up their online website.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
No one seems to bother to clean up the old posts off the internet. I have had the same problem that you had. What fabric bundle are you looking for? I usually go to Quiltshops.com to see if I can find a line of fabric. Have you tried eBay?? Hang in there. Just remember you are not alone in experience these difficulties with the internet.
I agree with ManiacQuilter2 about eBay. I have really had great luck finding older fabric on eBay. I usually go to eQuilter.com when looking for recent fabrics.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I hate that 1/2 yd price myself. Now i know to look closely.
I totally agree! It seems deceptive. IMHO!!
Sharon in Texas
Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 PM

feline fanatic is correct about the fabric shops that sell by the 1/2 yard. It's part of the software that makes the website work that will only let them sell "1" of something. They can't sell ".5" or "1/2" of something.

I'm sorry people find it confusing to buy in half yards but saying the quilt shop is being deceptive is a little harsh. I'm sure the quilt store would prefer to sell in 1/2 yards but cannot afford to buy another website.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:03 PM

[QUOTE/]It is the purchasers responsibility to pay attention to what they are ordering on line and that the price is for the quantity they intend to purchase.

I have a hard time buying this. It is confusing to price in 1/2 yds There are some people who just aren't that savvy. Surely the big fabric stores can get software that prices in yard incrediments. I won't buy from stores that don't. I always write and tell them so too! I think it is sneaky and can't believe I am the only one who thinks that way. I don't appreciate buyer be aware when I am shopping for fabric. Geri[/QUOTE]

The websites that price by the half yard clearly state this fact on all their fabric pages. Keepsake Quilting & Hancock's of Paducah being such examples. They also let the customer know how to order more than just a half yard. They set up very easy to follow directions. I don't believe there is any real buyer beware, just a buyer who can read carefully.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:24 PM

I just checked and both Keepsake and Hancock's charge by the yard. I had never seen charging in 1/2 yds at Keepsake and do shop there. I did notice it many times at Hancock's and would not shop there but I will now. I am very happy they made this change.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be wicked upset if I couldn't buy 3½ or 4½ yards if I wanted to just because the 'unit' was set at one yard instead of a half yard. I find it convenient, not deceptive at all.

At least a half yard of fabric is still a half yard...unlike a half gallon of ice cream or a gallon of paint. Pretty soon a dozen eggs are only going to be 10.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:26 PM

[you are not alone, I WILL NOT BUY from any store that lists in 1/2 yard increments.
QUOTE=gerideboer;7168800]
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Many on line quilt shops price in half yard increments. A few even price in quarter yard increments. This is not because the fabric store is trying to be sneaky, it is because most shopping cart programs only accommodate "whole units". Fabric is one of the few items marketed in fractional units. If on line quilt shops won't cut less than one yard (like thousands of bolts) they usually price in the increments they are willing to cut.

It is the purchasers responsibility to pay attention to what they are ordering on line and that the price is for the quantity they intend to purchase.

I have a hard time buying this. It is confusing to price in 1/2 yds There are some people who just aren't that savvy. Surely the big fabric stores can get software that prices in yard incrediments. I won't buy from stores that don't. I always write and tell them so too! I think it is sneaky and can't believe I am the only one who thinks that way. I don't appreciate buyer be aware when I am shopping for fabric. Geri