Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It only took me four hours!!! >

It only took me four hours!!!

It only took me four hours!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Wow, Sewdarnbusy, you have given me the best idea, a quilting journal of pictures of every project, pictures, who it is for, what I learned making it, I needed this suggestion, I think I have had it in the back of my mind but not quite organized enough to come to the front, I have been quilting for about 5 months now, and have pictures of everything I have done.Also I could put a little scrap of fabric in. I can do this retroactive, I am excited. I love journaling anyhow, it helps me organize my thinking. THANKS AGAIN, have to go now and start printing my pictures. Rita
Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 PM

I'm still pretty slow if I want it to look right
Old 12-04-2010, 05:34 PM

your supposed to have fun.....took me three years to handpiece and handquilt one of my quilts.....and i loved every minute!!! enjoy yourself!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 PM

The 'prototype' always takes longer than the 'production - run'. The next one will be easy.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
you have me wondering what you chose for a pattern. Have you tried tubing method to get your initial square?
I am now on my 7th and 8th potholders. I am using Moonrises, Extra Thick Super Quick Potholder pattern. There are 2 words in that name that are LIES!!! LOL just kidding....the potholders are beautiful when finished.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
While you are taking a break, go to Missouri Star and look at their tutorials which they have on YouTube. They have a gazillion of them. This will help you a lot. It helped me.
Thanks for the heads up....I will go check that site out! ;)
Old 12-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by suern3
Renee, your post came at the perfect time for me! Like you, when I took my first quilting class about 2 years ago, I hadn't done any sewing for maybe 35 years and wasn't an expert then. Since then I have made 4 quilts and each one takes me along time, but I enjoy it. Even do my own FMQ.
BUT, whenever I try some small, cute project, it seems to take forever and barely turns out OK. Just this past week I decided to make an apron and matching pot holders for a friend. Surprisingly, the apron went pretty fast and turned out pretty well. Then for the rest of the week, I have been fighting with those pot holders! Unbelievable! Apparently, I can put binding on an 80X80 inch quilt and can't do it on a 9 inch potholder! Anyway, finished them today after using packaged bias tape instead of matching fabric. Thanks for the post and everyone else's responses. I feel better. (Sorry for the rant)
Oh....the potholders I am making don't have binding....god forbid. I was good to figure out how to sew around a corner....lol. I am making these potholders http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60544-1.htm

They really come out beautifully.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone...I was tired and couldn't believe I had spent all of the time making one 7 1/2 inch square of a potholder....at the end I felt like I was wading thru mud!

I love making stuff....I guess I was thinking I would get everyone's gift made that night or something.

Let's see....I have gifts for about 30 people to make. I'm fixing to start drinking heavily.... :-D
Old 12-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Um-if you start drinking you'll have to make coasters; another one of those #@%%^* easy projects!!! I'm with Suern3--I'd rather bind a large quilt than make something small again. The Kindle cover that took me all day is something I'll keep; I'll buy one for my grand-daughter (it's so much faster ordering one on line than me trying to make another LOL).
Old 12-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Don't feel to bad dear.I am fairly new to quilting.And the ten minute block took me 45 min the first time as I kept getting the fabric in the wrong corners.But I didn't mark them like I was suppoed too.SOOOO one lesson learned.DON"T GET IN A HURRY. LOL