Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It only took me four hours!!! >

It only took me four hours!!!

It only took me four hours!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM

You're just beginning - hang in there.

The quantity of your quilting MAY increase - depending on how many hours a day you have to practice and put exclusively towards quilting!

Remember some quilters sew and quilt all day long.

I'm not one of them - and I'm okay with that. (I guess it's not my time now) :)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 PM

With it being winter, I have time to sew and quilt....I train horses so this is the slow season....I have about 3 hours during the day and then all night that I can fiddle.... 8-)
Old 12-05-2010, 02:22 AM

My 9 year old Grand Daughter ask me to make her a quilt for xmas present i am now freaking out because i am not a fast quilter and i work night shift and sleep during the day so the pressure is on until i finish the quilt, but she did say i could give it to her after Xmas if it's not finish for xmas :)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
Originally Posted by Renee110
I am exhausted mentally....I just started sewing and "quilting" 2 months ago...haven't done any quilting yet as I'm still piecing my top together....

And I've not used a sewing machine since homec class 25 years ago....

So of course I decided to make potholders and placemats for my barn customers.

ONE potholder took me 4 flipping hours to make. I feel like I've run a marathon or something. I'm exhausted.

Ya'll folks who put together a whole quilt top in a day freak me out!
You'll get faster. Especially if you haven't sewn for 25 yrs. Most of the women who do the in one day quilt tops have been sewing for years and years. Hang in there you'll get faster and better the more you work at it.
I've been sewing for waay more than 25 yrs. and there is no way I could put a quilt top together in a day. Freaks me out, too. But I don't even worry about it. I just do it because I like to. Unfortunenately, I do other sewing and in all those years have still not learned to get started sooner. I'm currently going like a mad woman to get t-shirt bags done for 7 granddaughters & 3 daughters. For Christmas, of course! lol! Be a miracle if I get done!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 AM

I am exhausted mentally....I just started sewing and "quilting" 2 months ago...haven't done any quilting yet as I'm still piecing my top together....

ONE potholder took me 4 flipping hours to make. I feel like I've run a marathon or something. I'm exhausted.

Oh my goodness - 2 months! Give yourself some time!! It was a L-O-N-G time before most of us could piece a top in a day!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Me make a quilt in a day??? (Sorry, Eleanor...LOL). I get distracted too easily so I choose patterns that are quick and easy peasy! Instant gratification :)

I actually don't have any trouble piecing a quilt together in a relatively short time...it's the quilting part that I hate!! Case in point...I'm making a Christmas table runner for myself and I've had it put together for a few days but I'm dragging my feet on quilting it!! I don't want to send it out to be quilted because it's such a small piece and I don't want to pay someone else to quilt it. So....I've walked away from it for now and I'll tackle it when the "mood" strikes me.

The point is...we all walk away when we need to. No shame in that :)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM

:lol: Hey, don't get freaked out! Cut yourself some slack. The important thing to do is to relax & enjoy what you are doing. Get rid of the negative self-talk & quit comparing yourself to seasoned quilters. You will get there in due time. I used to be the same way but I finally have realized there is NO quilt police & I have been developing my own style & preferences. I've even learned it is okay to "agree to disagree" with other quilters in a polite but firm way! Enjoy the journey!! :thumbup: :lol: 8-)
Old 12-06-2010, 06:31 AM

Well said i couldn't have put it in a better way! We all develop our own style and in our own time the main thing is that we enjoy what ever we do and be creative let your imagination run wild and have fun doing it :)
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 AM

I hate the quilting side of it as well it never turns out the way i want it! and it's very orquid to maneuver in the machine the worse is the sandwich the batting to the feature fabric to the backing all this tape and to hold the backing tight and the pins OH the pins!!! but it always looks great when finish the front anyway!! :) never look at the back of my quilting
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 AM

Remember this is a process and sbhould be fun!!! You will get better with practice and who cares if you get faster! Imade a top too quickly and said" is that all there is"