Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees >

Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees

Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees

Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 AM

I am retired with a not so neat husband. He's a great guy though so I will keep him! I do veggie gardening while he does flowers. I do all the cooking for 3 meals a day. We have two airedales to look after as well. Hubby does the walking especially now that I am in the midst of cataract surgeries.
Our house seems to stay pretty clean especially in the summer when we don't have the wood stove going which makes dust. I keep things straightened up as I go through the rooms at various times of the day which makes it look good. I vacuum once a week usually unless we have company and it needs it before or after.
I have two adorable grandchildren that I help take care of in the summer since they are not in school = 5th graders this fall. My daughter's hours as a physical therapist are great during the school year but in the summer the kiddies go to various day camps that are on my side of the island we live on. My son in law works down the street from us so he drops them off here. We do drop and pickup for camps and lunch. In early afternoon I take them by car to meet my daughter 1/2 way to return my darlings. They are boy/girl twins. They are very active in sports (boy) and all kinds of handwork and cooking (girl). My hubby works partime in the butcher dept. of a local supermarket.
I find various times throughout the day and evening to quilt. Right now I am doing a queen size one in crocus purple/spring green/snow white in a tulip design for my granddaughter. I just finished a top in blue/white which is bears paw and flying geese queen size for my grandson. I also have a queen size hand pieced double Irish chain on the quilt frame right now that I am hand quilting. That one is for me. However, I will probably have to hang it on a large wall in the family room for now because I have two airedales who love to sleep on the bed and there is no getting away from it.
I used to be a cross stitcher but since I retired in Maine I have gotten into quilting and am addicted. I still have one birth sampler to finish for a granddaughter in NJ. Her sister and the two here in Maine all have theirs. That will have to wait til my eyes heal fromt the surgery. Of course I still have two quilts to make for those two girls as well. I have not decided yet when they all will get their quilts - whether at a future Christmas (won't be all done this year), birthday, age 18 or whatever. The oldest is 12 and youngest is 8. The twins are 10.
I am also involved in other things on a volunteer basis and there are so many wonderful things here on Mt Desert Island to do in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Winter is definitely quilting time. Our winters are long. They go from November til the end of April. However, I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else. We are on the edge of Acadia National Park a paradise of green pines, blue lakes and pink granite mountains.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 AM

Wow, Omaforfour. I have been to Mt. Desert Island and Acadia. I just love it there. My husband and I would have loved living in your area. I am originally from Michigan and now in Pa so I am used to hard winters; wouldn't want it any other way. But I find I get lots of sewing things done in winter. Like you I have a busy retired life; it is just me and my dane & rottie. So I have to do it all, but that is what keeps me young.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 AM

In addition to working 40 hrs plus a week, I was in the USAF Reserves and had to do one weekend a month training. I, also had to do two weeks annual training once a year. I was assigned to a base 2 hrs from my home. I always took my Featherweight with me and during my off hours I sewed to my hearts content while watching movies.
My interpretation of "she who dies with the most" -- isn't sewing fast enough! LOL
Old 08-01-2010, 08:06 AM

I am a Teacher and the Assistant Athletic Director for Girls sports at my local high school.
I get to school at 7:00am and teach all day (Advanced Biology, Human Anatomy & Forensic Science), then have to be at almost all of the girls sporting events.
I take a class as often as I can 1 day a week, so I can set aside that time even if I know how to do the quilt that is being taught. I can be with others who enjoy what I love too. I also set aside most Saturday afternoon for quilting. That is the only way I can keep my sanity.
I am retiring in 2 years, so then I can have plenty of me time for quilting, I hope!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

what a great way to use your minutes here and there! And I agree; it makes it so much more relaxing when it comes down to the hour or so you have now carved out to get to the real sewing on a current project. smart . . . thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 AM

If you really want to do something, you find the time to do it. When I worked full time, had small children, 3 horses to take care of & ride, house to clean, cook, ect. I found the time to sew. It was usually after the kids were in bed that I could sew and that's what I did. Hopefully, you can find a good time that works for you. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:56 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

hey, thanks for replying! I am retired in N.E. Ohio. I have 3 daughters with 1 still at home, 4 dogs, 2 cats and 2 snakes. so there is always something to keep me moving. I do a lot of charity crocheting and charity quilts but I am working on quilts for all 3 daughters and 1 grandson now. I have another grandchild due in Feb so I am happily off to the JoAnns fabrics again. :P
Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 AM

I work full time, married with 3 children and I want to thank you all for sharing your lives. I have been feeling sorry for myself because I usually just quilt 1-2 hours a week, but you have helped me realize that a lot of us have the same issues, and we make the best of things. This has really helped me!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I have very few "HAVE TOs" and make time for my quilting needs. It is just the two of us so we can do as we please. Right now, the house is in order and we have talked about making a schedule for those "SHOULD DOs" so we won't have the entire weekend bogged down with chores.

Nancy Zieman has a book out 10-20-30 minute sewing, that can help identify short prep work interludes. It makes a big difference to plan the project and check off the prep steps.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:57 AM

I'm an elementary teacher, so my frustration is with all the "take home" work I have to do during the school year. This is the first summer I've allowed myself not to do any school projects because we had so many changes this past year that I worked a minimum of 3 hours extra each day. I go back to inservice classes tomorrow, and I've vowed to allow a half-hour at the very least for me. I'm a much happier woman if I can sew each day.