Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees >

Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees

Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees

Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

I used to work five eight hour days and had to check on my dad most evenings. That and housework cut my sewing to a couple hours a week if I was lucky. Then my hospital downsized the workforce and I went to three twelve hour days a week. Now I have four days a week off and use two days for running and housework and my other two days are sewing days. I'm a lot happier this way. :-D
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM

i work 40 hours a week. i'm pretty new to quilting. i want to do it everyday after work but that doesn't always happen. i try to make sure i get at least half a day on the weekend to quilt/piece.
my kids are grown but i look out for my parents who have moved in. that means i do have dinner to prepare every night and then the usual odds and ends of stuff. if i don't quilt i look at my fabric, patterns or try to organize a little.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 PM

A friend once said to me "If you need something done, ask a busy person. They know how to prioritise and schedule - so it will get done".

I think this applies to most women who work/have children/are carers etc.etc. and have generally busy lives. They need to be organised to take care of everything.

As Angellight said "women are better at multi-tasking and getting it done".
Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee
A friend once said to me "If you need something done, ask a busy person. They know how to prioritise and schedule - so it will get done".

I think this applies to most women who work/have children/are carers etc.etc. and have generally busy lives. They need to be organised to take care of everything.

As Angellight said "women are better at multi-tasking and getting it done".
I totally agree. I get my best work done when I am under pressure. I know I have an especially busy week ahead so I am up early today so I can get next weekends gift done today.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 AM

When the kids were small I had the luxury of not having a job outside the home. However, they all learned to pick up their rooms, make their beds, help with cooking and cleaning, do yard work- etc. Now they are all self sufficient. DS#2 is not married and knows how to keep his home clean, cook a meal and do his laundry. In fact I think his house is cleaner than mine, of course he doesn't have to deal with fabric threads etc. grin. Each had one night a week when they cooked dinner-(this was from about age 14-moving out-they just assisted before that) We didn't care what they made but it was their duty to cook, serve and clean up. Sometimes it would have been easier to do it myself instead of listening to them grump about how mean I was, but all in all they are raising their kids the same way. Kind of feel I did something right when they are having their kids be responsible for ordinary chores.
Just a funny-when oldest grandson went into the Air Force, his drill instructor called him into the office after the first few weeks. He was scared as he couldn't figure out what he had done wrong. Anyway, the DI asked him why his area was always up to par, when most of the others would slack off and leave things undone. He just looked at him and said, But Sir isn't that the way it is supposed to be? The DI asked how he knew to do it that way, and Dan said, But Sir that was the way my Mom taught me! The DI started to laugh and told him, "I would love to meet your Mother!" Then he got promoted.
To this day he tells DD she is what got him his first promotion.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:35 AM

Quilt3311, that is the way I raised my kids. I always did all my running around on Friday, grocery shopping, whatever was needed at the mall, etc. By Friday suppertime I was in no mood to cook, so I made it fend for yourself night. One Friday the then 9-year old asked if he could cook supper for the family, and I happily accepted. He announced we would be having grilled-cheese sandwiches. So when my husband walked in the door from work I whispered to him to just enjoy supper and don't complain. Well, they were the best sandwiches we ever had. From that time on they all wanted a turn at dinner. My middle son made pizza from scratch (he worked in a pizza shop on weekends), my daughter always made salads, and my oldest son made spaghetti. When the boys were all bachelors they ate very well. The youngest one is single with his own home and does very well cooking for himself. It is very gratifying to see what we did raising them was the right thing.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:36 AM

I, too, work full time and share caregiving resp w/DH for my mom. My sewing machine is in the corner of the dining room...only place to eat...so I'm able to sew when ever I have 10-20 min to spare. Sewing/quilting truely is my therapy and keeps me calm. Just counted up quilts and in the past 2 years have given away 30 lapsize or oversize lap quilts away to fellow workers and even a couple family members! Sure hope the therapy is working!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I, too, work full time and share caregiving resp w/DH for my mom. My sewing machine is in the corner of the dining room...only place to eat...so I'm able to sew when ever I have 10-20 min to spare. Sewing/quilting truely is my therapy and keeps me calm. Just counted up quilts and in the past 2 years have given away 30 lapsize or oversize lap quilts away to fellow workers and even a couple family members! Sure hope the therapy is working!
Sounds like it is. Good for you. I am busier in my retirement than when I worked full time. My grandkids are always needing me for something since their parents work full time and often need a ride to some game or something. I love doing it. The quilt I just made for my grandson to take to college was his request. That feels so good. Our wings are being made as we speak, quilted of course.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:15 AM

I took early retirement at 56 to be a nanny to my 2 GS, one of whom is autistic, so my DD could go to med school. They live with me and DH til she completes med school. Anyhow, I just got back into quilting after a 20 year "hiatus." I made my dining room my sewing room so I could be with my GS. If the boys are "cooperative" I get a little sewing done-maybe 2 or 3 blocks machine pieced in a day. If they need/demand my attention more, I sew on the weekend when they visit their dad. It takes me a LONG time to finsh anything, but that's okay. I just enjoy the process!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:34 AM

I tought school for 37 year and quilted most night it was my way of relaxing even if it was only 15 min. I all ways had a project going. Some times it took months to finish. My time.