Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees >

Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees

Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees

Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM

I work shift work and full time. On my day off I clean the house and my sewing room and then set up my sewing machines for the projects I am interested in working on. I lay out all the pieces or instructions and have everything cut out and ready. On the days I am working I can sit down for 5, 20, or 15 minutes and just sew as everything is all ready for me. i also have a DH, and a DD and a DGD living in the house with me so cleaning is a constant battle.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 PM

I work from home- on my computer- it's only part time, which is nice. I do find that I have one eye on my laptop on my work but it seems the desk top is always on the QB drawing my attention. I've learned a lot this way.
As for sewing, I wake up early most a.m.'s so I generally get up, have my coffee and check out the QB, and then go to my room and sew. That is usually for 45 min. or so.
My husband, after work, likes to putz around in his shop, so I may sew then. But, when he's inside, even if he's just watching TV I like to be there. So, I'm trying to figure out hand piecing. Thought that'd be a good compromise. I don't think he'd like me moving my machine next to the TV in the LR. LOL!
We also devote 70 hours each a month to some volunteer work- we do that together, so we get lots of time with each other, so he's OK with me in my sewing room and him elsewhere.
I guess we just have to establish what's important to us and work everything else around that.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM

I admire and sympathize with you all. I worked full time for years and frequently found myself to tired to even want to sew. Unfortunately that didn't keep me from buying fabric, notions and books. Man did I accumulate! Now I am retired and can quilt when ever I want. Love it! Still am accumulating fabric etc. but using it too. Remember, she who dies with the largest stash wins!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Here's how it goes. Clean house, no time to quilt - I'm cranky. Messy house, been busy quilting - happy camper. Oh P.S. I work 30 hours a week and teach quilting classes some evenings/Saturdays so just not enough time to do it all. Excepting the "I don't want to be super woman" has really helped me not feel quilty either way.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 PM

I work 40 hours per week. On my weekend I quilt. I quilt before I go to work every day also, as I do not have to be to work until 4pm. Yes, I get so wrapped up in what I am doing sometimes that I wish I could stay home. I do my household jobs first thing then quilt. I can always do laundry in between. Love it!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:47 PM

I used to spend my spare time doing what "had to be done" and then any time left was mine. With kids, work and house/yard chores there never seemed to be any "me time". I always thought - when things settle down/when the kids are older - I will have time for me.

Then I had a serious health scare and I decided it was time I did some things I WANTED to do, not just things I HAD to do. I now choose to sew/paint/garden before washing floors etc. instead of the other way around.

I still have to go to work, but the kids have now grown and left home which has given me a sewing room so projects can be left out which enables me to spend some time (even if only 10 minutes) in there before I leave for work in the morning. I also try to spend some time in there after work before dinner. Once it is dinner time, DH and I spend the evening together - but we both usually have some hand work to do in front of the T.V. (Hubby cross-stitches, does sashiko, knits.)
Old 07-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Thank you for your stories and suggestions.

It really has me thinking....:)
Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 PM

I work 50-60 hours a week. I have a DH and four kids but now some are away part of the year at college. I don't get a lot done during the week but sometimes just go into my sewing room and cut a few blocks or something so I am ready when I do have time.

I, like Bottle Blonde, assign all cleaning chores on the weekends to everyone who is living at the house at the time. I have my list but it isn't terribly long. I can spend quite a bit of time sewing on most weekends if I want.

When my kids were little, I got very little sewing done except on vacations. Between my job and their activities and all the other things they needed, it just didn't happen.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:15 PM

I work on call (12 hour days), so don't always get 30 hours a week. Our girls are grown and on their own. We get the grands every Friday night (unless I have to work on Sat), and I have a housekeeper once a week. DH works 7 on, 7 off 2-midnight. So on his week to work, I can get lots of sewing done. I must say, I am very fortunate.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I have to admit that when I worked I got a lot more done!! Now that I am laid off there just doesn't seen to be time. Also when my 5 boys were little I did tons of crafts taught 4H sewed all their cloths and mine. How I did it is a mystery to me!!
I have a theory on this...
When we are this busy, we are very scheduled and know we have to JUST GET IT DONE! When we have more time, " I can put that off until tomorrow," and sometimes tomorrow does not come until next week.
However this goes, I think with few exceptions, that women are alway better at getting it done or multi-tasking than most men are.

Happy Day!
Susan