Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of Part/Full Time Employees

I used to spend my spare time doing what "had to be done" and then any time left was mine. With kids, work and house/yard chores there never seemed to be any "me time". I always thought - when things settle down/when the kids are older - I will have time for me.

Then I had a serious health scare and I decided it was time I did some things I WANTED to do, not just things I HAD to do. I now choose to sew/paint/garden before washing floors etc. instead of the other way around.

I still have to go to work, but the kids have now grown and left home which has given me a sewing room so projects can be left out which enables me to spend some time (even if only 10 minutes) in there before I leave for work in the morning. I also try to spend some time in there after work before dinner. Once it is dinner time, DH and I spend the evening together - but we both usually have some hand work to do in front of the T.V. (Hubby cross-stitches, does sashiko, knits.)

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your stories and suggestions.

It really has me thinking....:)

I work 50-60 hours a week. I have a DH and four kids but now some are away part of the year at college. I don't get a lot done during the week but sometimes just go into my sewing room and cut a few blocks or something so I am ready when I do have time.

I, like Bottle Blonde, assign all cleaning chores on the weekends to everyone who is living at the house at the time. I have my list but it isn't terribly long. I can spend quite a bit of time sewing on most weekends if I want.

When my kids were little, I got very little sewing done except on vacations. Between my job and their activities and all the other things they needed, it just didn't happen.

I work on call (12 hour days), so don't always get 30 hours a week. Our girls are grown and on their own. We get the grands every Friday night (unless I have to work on Sat), and I have a housekeeper once a week. DH works 7 on, 7 off 2-midnight. So on his week to work, I can get lots of sewing done. I must say, I am very fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I have to admit that when I worked I got a lot more done!! Now that I am laid off there just doesn't seen to be time. Also when my 5 boys were little I did tons of crafts taught 4H sewed all their cloths and mine. How I did it is a mystery to me!!
    I have a theory on this...
    When we are this busy, we are very scheduled and know we have to JUST GET IT DONE! When we have more time, " I can put that off until tomorrow," and sometimes tomorrow does not come until next week.
    However this goes, I think with few exceptions, that women are alway better at getting it done or multi-tasking than most men are.

Happy Day!
    Susan

I used to work five eight hour days and had to check on my dad most evenings. That and housework cut my sewing to a couple hours a week if I was lucky. Then my hospital downsized the workforce and I went to three twelve hour days a week. Now I have four days a week off and use two days for running and housework and my other two days are sewing days. I'm a lot happier this way. :-D

i work 40 hours a week. i'm pretty new to quilting. i want to do it everyday after work but that doesn't always happen. i try to make sure i get at least half a day on the weekend to quilt/piece.
    my kids are grown but i look out for my parents who have moved in. that means i do have dinner to prepare every night and then the usual odds and ends of stuff. if i don't quilt i look at my fabric, patterns or try to organize a little.

A friend once said to me "If you need something done, ask a busy person. They know how to prioritise and schedule - so it will get done".

I think this applies to most women who work/have children/are carers etc.etc. and have generally busy lives. They need to be organised to take care of everything.

As Angellight said "women are better at multi-tasking and getting it done".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    A friend once said to me "If you need something done, ask a busy person. They know how to prioritise and schedule - so it will get done".

I think this applies to most women who work/have children/are carers etc.etc. and have generally busy lives. They need to be organised to take care of everything.

As Angellight said "women are better at multi-tasking and getting it done".
    I totally agree. I get my best work done when I am under pressure. I know I have an especially busy week ahead so I am up early today so I can get next weekends gift done today.

When the kids were small I had the luxury of not having a job outside the home. However, they all learned to pick up their rooms, make their beds, help with cooking and cleaning, do yard work- etc. Now they are all self sufficient. DS#2 is not married and knows how to keep his home clean, cook a meal and do his laundry. In fact I think his house is cleaner than mine, of course he doesn't have to deal with fabric threads etc. grin. Each had one night a week when they cooked dinner-(this was from about age 14-moving out-they just assisted before that) We didn't care what they made but it was their duty to cook, serve and clean up. Sometimes it would have been easier to do it myself instead of listening to them grump about how mean I was, but all in all they are raising their kids the same way. Kind of feel I did something right when they are having their kids be responsible for ordinary chores.
    Just a funny-when oldest grandson went into the Air Force, his drill instructor called him into the office after the first few weeks. He was scared as he couldn't figure out what he had done wrong. Anyway, the DI asked him why his area was always up to par, when most of the others would slack off and leave things undone. He just looked at him and said, But Sir isn't that the way it is supposed to be? The DI asked how he knew to do it that way, and Dan said, But Sir that was the way my Mom taught me! The DI started to laugh and told him, "I would love to meet your Mother!" Then he got promoted.
    To this day he tells DD she is what got him his first promotion.

Blog Entries
    Quilt3311, that is the way I raised my kids. I always did all my running around on Friday, grocery shopping, whatever was needed at the mall, etc. By Friday suppertime I was in no mood to cook, so I made it fend for yourself night. One Friday the then 9-year old asked if he could cook supper for the family, and I happily accepted. He announced we would be having grilled-cheese sandwiches. So when my husband walked in the door from work I whispered to him to just enjoy supper and don't complain. Well, they were the best sandwiches we ever had. From that time on they all wanted a turn at dinner. My middle son made pizza from scratch (he worked in a pizza shop on weekends), my daughter always made salads, and my oldest son made spaghetti. When the boys were all bachelors they ate very well. The youngest one is single with his own home and does very well cooking for himself. It is very gratifying to see what we did raising them was the right thing.

I, too, work full time and share caregiving resp w/DH for my mom. My sewing machine is in the corner of the dining room...only place to eat...so I'm able to sew when ever I have 10-20 min to spare. Sewing/quilting truely is my therapy and keeps me calm. Just counted up quilts and in the past 2 years have given away 30 lapsize or oversize lap quilts away to fellow workers and even a couple family members! Sure hope the therapy is working!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    I, too, work full time and share caregiving resp w/DH for my mom. My sewing machine is in the corner of the dining room...only place to eat...so I'm able to sew when ever I have 10-20 min to spare. Sewing/quilting truely is my therapy and keeps me calm. Just counted up quilts and in the past 2 years have given away 30 lapsize or oversize lap quilts away to fellow workers and even a couple family members! Sure hope the therapy is working!
    Sounds like it is. Good for you. I am busier in my retirement than when I worked full time. My grandkids are always needing me for something since their parents work full time and often need a ride to some game or something. I love doing it. The quilt I just made for my grandson to take to college was his request. That feels so good. Our wings are being made as we speak, quilted of course.

Blog Entries
    I took early retirement at 56 to be a nanny to my 2 GS, one of whom is autistic, so my DD could go to med school. They live with me and DH til she completes med school. Anyhow, I just got back into quilting after a 20 year "hiatus." I made my dining room my sewing room so I could be with my GS. If the boys are "cooperative" I get a little sewing done-maybe 2 or 3 blocks machine pieced in a day. If they need/demand my attention more, I sew on the weekend when they visit their dad. It takes me a LONG time to finsh anything, but that's okay. I just enjoy the process!

I tought school for 37 year and quilted most night it was my way of relaxing even if it was only 15 min. I all ways had a project going. Some times it took months to finish. My time.

Blog Entries
    I am retired with a not so neat husband. He's a great guy though so I will keep him! I do veggie gardening while he does flowers. I do all the cooking for 3 meals a day. We have two airedales to look after as well. Hubby does the walking especially now that I am in the midst of cataract surgeries.
    Our house seems to stay pretty clean especially in the summer when we don't have the wood stove going which makes dust. I keep things straightened up as I go through the rooms at various times of the day which makes it look good. I vacuum once a week usually unless we have company and it needs it before or after.
    I have two adorable grandchildren that I help take care of in the summer since they are not in school = 5th graders this fall. My daughter's hours as a physical therapist are great during the school year but in the summer the kiddies go to various day camps that are on my side of the island we live on. My son in law works down the street from us so he drops them off here. We do drop and pickup for camps and lunch. In early afternoon I take them by car to meet my daughter 1/2 way to return my darlings. They are boy/girl twins. They are very active in sports (boy) and all kinds of handwork and cooking (girl). My hubby works partime in the butcher dept. of a local supermarket.
    I find various times throughout the day and evening to quilt. Right now I am doing a queen size one in crocus purple/spring green/snow white in a tulip design for my granddaughter. I just finished a top in blue/white which is bears paw and flying geese queen size for my grandson. I also have a queen size hand pieced double Irish chain on the quilt frame right now that I am hand quilting. That one is for me. However, I will probably have to hang it on a large wall in the family room for now because I have two airedales who love to sleep on the bed and there is no getting away from it.
    I used to be a cross stitcher but since I retired in Maine I have gotten into quilting and am addicted. I still have one birth sampler to finish for a granddaughter in NJ. Her sister and the two here in Maine all have theirs. That will have to wait til my eyes heal fromt the surgery. Of course I still have two quilts to make for those two girls as well. I have not decided yet when they all will get their quilts - whether at a future Christmas (won't be all done this year), birthday, age 18 or whatever. The oldest is 12 and youngest is 8. The twins are 10.
    I am also involved in other things on a volunteer basis and there are so many wonderful things here on Mt Desert Island to do in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Winter is definitely quilting time. Our winters are long. They go from November til the end of April. However, I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else. We are on the edge of Acadia National Park a paradise of green pines, blue lakes and pink granite mountains.

Blog Entries
    Wow, Omaforfour. I have been to Mt. Desert Island and Acadia. I just love it there. My husband and I would have loved living in your area. I am originally from Michigan and now in Pa so I am used to hard winters; wouldn't want it any other way. But I find I get lots of sewing things done in winter. Like you I have a busy retired life; it is just me and my dane & rottie. So I have to do it all, but that is what keeps me young.

Blog Entries
    In addition to working 40 hrs plus a week, I was in the USAF Reserves and had to do one weekend a month training. I, also had to do two weeks annual training once a year. I was assigned to a base 2 hrs from my home. I always took my Featherweight with me and during my off hours I sewed to my hearts content while watching movies.
    My interpretation of "she who dies with the most" -- isn't sewing fast enough! LOL

I am a Teacher and the Assistant Athletic Director for Girls sports at my local high school.
    I get to school at 7:00am and teach all day (Advanced Biology, Human Anatomy & Forensic Science), then have to be at almost all of the girls sporting events.
    I take a class as often as I can 1 day a week, so I can set aside that time even if I know how to do the quilt that is being taught. I can be with others who enjoy what I love too. I also set aside most Saturday afternoon for quilting. That is the only way I can keep my sanity.
    I am retiring in 2 years, so then I can have plenty of me time for quilting, I hope!!!

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    what a great way to use your minutes here and there! And I agree; it makes it so much more relaxing when it comes down to the hour or so you have now carved out to get to the real sewing on a current project. smart . . . thanks

If you really want to do something, you find the time to do it. When I worked full time, had small children, 3 horses to take care of & ride, house to clean, cook, ect. I found the time to sew. It was usually after the kids were in bed that I could sew and that's what I did. Hopefully, you can find a good time that works for you. Good luck!

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    hey, thanks for replying! I am retired in N.E. Ohio. I have 3 daughters with 1 still at home, 4 dogs, 2 cats and 2 snakes. so there is always something to keep me moving. I do a lot of charity crocheting and charity quilts but I am working on quilts for all 3 daughters and 1 grandson now. I have another grandchild due in Feb so I am happily off to the JoAnns fabrics again. :P

I work full time, married with 3 children and I want to thank you all for sharing your lives. I have been feeling sorry for myself because I usually just quilt 1-2 hours a week, but you have helped me realize that a lot of us have the same issues, and we make the best of things. This has really helped me!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have very few "HAVE TOs" and make time for my quilting needs. It is just the two of us so we can do as we please. Right now, the house is in order and we have talked about making a schedule for those "SHOULD DOs" so we won't have the entire weekend bogged down with chores.

Nancy Zieman has a book out 10-20-30 minute sewing, that can help identify short prep work interludes. It makes a big difference to plan the project and check off the prep steps.

I'm an elementary teacher, so my frustration is with all the "take home" work I have to do during the school year. This is the first summer I've allowed myself not to do any school projects because we had so many changes this past year that I worked a minimum of 3 hours extra each day. I go back to inservice classes tomorrow, and I've vowed to allow a half-hour at the very least for me. I'm a much happier woman if I can sew each day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast