Opinions plz and be honest >

Opinions plz and be honest

Opinions plz and be honest

Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Great quilt. Eye appealing colors.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:48 PM

I LOVE it!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 PM

You have motivated me to work more on my basket of scraps. I have been making 'pieces of cloth' from them and have several that are a little bigger than fat quarter sizes. I am planning on cutting them into squares to use in quilts and love the idea of a narrow black sashing. Since my fabric isn't foundation pieced, I am tempted to put iron-on interfacing on the back of my fabric before cutting to help stabilize the blocks - any ideas?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:56 AM

Your work look lovely. I would also use black and add some embellishments on the larger pieces of fabric.
Happy sewing
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 AM

I'm very impressed by your blocks. I watched the video you linked to, too. There's something i'm not getting, though, if you'd be willing to share more about your technique: given that there's no foundation, how is it that your decorative stitches aren't puckering the fabric? I know there are 3 layers if seams are pressed to the side. Is that enough to prevent it? It also looks like some of the stitching is in variegated thread. Is it the sulky 30? I've not had luck with it lying nicely without added stabilizer, even with reducing the tension.

Thanks for any hints on this.

Hugs,
charlotte
Old 12-18-2013, 06:43 AM

I have no stabelizer on my blocks. All i do is like the guy in the video. I take one piece of scrap lay it flat. Then i take another scrap of different shape, turn the edge over about 1/4 inch seam I press that seam in place. Then i lay the turned over edge on top of a raw edge of the first scrap and pin. I do about 2-4 more pieces of various shaped scraps which are all then pinned in place to do my deco stitching. In my machine (Brothers Disney SE27OD i am using all purpose thread by coat n clark purchased from walmart. Tho i do have embroidery thread here to use on other projects. I stitch in place using my desired setting for the deco stitch., Yes there are 3 seams then. No i am not using varigated thread. I may later use heat n bond Light weight later on to stabelize the back of each block if i feel it is necessary. Like i said "my way". It maynot be the proper way or professional way in making a crazy quilt. This is my first crazy, so all is done by trial and error. So far I haven't had any problems with tension. I did notice in some stitches, there were 3-4 loose stitches in the beginning of a seam. I hold my thread until to sew a few stitches and feel it is safe to continue. If i have a seam with a heavier thickness due to edges being turned over, I use a more straight stitching design and i sew it slowly to prevent needle breakage etc., However, it is simple for me , not alot of technical thinking here,lol and im having fun making my 8 inch blocks. In the video -he doesnt talk but i watched his technique several times especially the first video. At first i thought wth? But then i seen how he does it just by turning over one edge and stitching it in place. So like i sd, is all by trial and error.So far not many errors other than getting the edge of a scrap caught under the needle due to not holding the thread at the start of stitching. lol Well this technique is working for me so far and i have 20- 8" blocks finished. Many more to go lol. Like i mentioned in an earlier post, it is like putting a cloth puzzle together. No rhyme or reason just having fun fitten n stitchen.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks for taking time to explain a bit more, lildinks2013. You've inspired me to try this, myself.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 AM
DJ

It's coming along beautifully!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM

Well, I like your method. Instead of sewing one strip, then flipping and using your decorative stitch on the seam you eliminate one step. Just fold, press & dec stitch. Wow what a concept! I would have never thought of it and I've been crazy quilting for a loooooong time using a foundation of either muslin or paper.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM

Love it, well done.