Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions/Thoughts re: Swaps and Robins?

I'm not crazy about them. I'm still waiting for blocks from 3 years ago from a swap in another group. Wouldn't have minded so much if it were only 1 or 2 blocks but it was an entire year's worth. She still posts with longer explanations of why she still hasn't done these. I'm not holding my breath. Another swap presented me with all sorts of sizes. Only one or two the correct one. I didn't expect perfection. Skill levels vary and all that can be expected is a person's best efforts, but like one of the earlier contributers to this thread, only a couple of the participants seemed to know how to use a ruler. I gave all of that swap away to a dog project ufo orphanage. They were way too much trouble to fix.

I've got too much of my own stuff to do and with the cost of postage these days, I'd rather spend my extra pennies on batting and thread.

Wewlcome and don't be afraid. It is lots of fun and it gives you a chance to get acquainted with people that you would never have a change to meet via the exchange.
    Give it a try one time and if you don't like it you don't have to join in ever again....but you will 'cause you will enjoy it!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely join in the fun. I've made some wonderful friends on this board by participating. My two favorites are the Secret Pal Swap and the Doll Quilt Swap.

Blog Entries
    Hi Sheila, I do the secret pal swap and love it. I started this past July. I have been making many great friends. We chat back and forth all month long about anything and everything. We support each other good times and bad times. I'm so glad that I joined and find it to be a wonderful experience. I hope you consider joining us. If you are interested in joining send me a pm and I will let you know when the next sign up is.

Robyn

p.s. I see my friend Krystyna posted right before I did.

Blog Entries
    I do the Secret Pal Swap also...Love it, you can make some new friends and alot of them are very funny..with every swap you will have some people that don't follow the rules..but most are very faithful..I really think that you should try a few and see how it goes..I did some on another link and didn't like the way they handled their swaps. But on this board the people are very friendly and seem to follow thru the swap..Please try us.

I was in a swap several years ago (not on this board) and one girl kept all the quilts she received. We tried to contact her and sent her letters etc. Never heard anything. One girl had all moda fabric in her swap so she lost a lot. However rhe second one I joined I have the quilt.. It traveled around the world and I am thirlled with it. Two of the ladies were from Australia and New Zealand.

totally disappointed! Host wouldn't even reply to me about things, blocks came with holes in them, colors were not what they were supposed to be....do it at your own risk and don't expect much...never tried a round robin. Also postage cost more than it was worth!!!!

I have done several. (10 or so over 10 yrs) Yes, realize blocks will be of verious sizes,of all kinds of fabrics, not everyone seems to be able to follow directions, blocks might have holes, blocks put together the wrong way, you might never get some blocks, colors are wrong etc.

I like the projects I made with the blocks. I enjoy getting to know the people that are participating and the communication as people are making the blocks. I do worry if people will like my blocks and if I can make the death line.

Right now I am in one swap Final Dresden Seasonal Swap-Winter ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152159-1.htm ), first with this board. I think because the board is very large it is harder to keep in touch during the process. The host, Deb, for this swap is very helpful and responds back to posts or pm. I put a pictures down below of the Dresden block I am working on. I had made a Dresden block before but wanted to do one with points and joining the swap was motivational and helpful to work on perfecting the technique.

Below is also a picture of a quilt made from two swaps over two years from another board. The board was much smaller so I felt I got to know the people. When I put the quilt top together I removed the labels from the people who made them from the different blocks. It brought back many memories.

Block in progress for current swap I am in on this board. Dresden Plate
    Name:  Attachment-275242.jpe
Views: 57
Size:  45.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd like to enjoy a secret pal swap. How do you get into one?
    Mikki

Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    I participate in the secret pal swap every month, its alot of fun and you never know what you'll get. There is a 10.00 spending limit not including postage. Most of us get away with 4.95 flatrate mailers so its not too bad. You dont have to spend 10.00 its just the limit. Alot of us send stuff from our own stash plus some store bought things.

how do you joint a swap? I am very new at this!
    sandra

Quote Originally Posted by sandrah
    sandra
    Go to the home page and click on Member Swaps Round/Row Robins. Click on the various choices and read through some of the posts. I did this with the "Winter Dresden" swap. Mostly to see if my own skill would equal the others. After seeing the Dresden above I'm excited all over again that I joined it. I try to only send what I would want myself and I had never done a Dresden so I've already learned a new technique.

My daughter and I joined this board just a couple of months ago and I somehow wandered into LuvToQuilt's 10.5" swaps, then Yosamitesa's 6.5" novelty swaps. Both ladies are SO PRO!!! You can do Up to six sets so the investment is only what you choose. I'd encourage anyone to join.

I'd say.... Do your research on a sewing project and try one month a fabric swap. Start small and expect only the best from YOU :)

I have only done one block swap. Very dissappointing.
    Blocks were made of cheap fabric. Most blocks were not the required size, suppose to be 6 1/2 inch square (6 1/4 mostly)
    The block required light, med, dark fabrics correctly placed. Some quilters didn't follow the color placement which was clearly labeled on the pattern. Out of 14 blocks I could only
    use 9. I've not done another block swap.
    I joined for a round robin and machine embroidered four blocks for the center of the quilt. Sent them out to the quilter. One year later I still hadn't received the quilt top. I finally called her and she sent my center blocks back.
    I guess swapping just isn't for me. :D

Blog Entries
    I love them....they are a blast! Of course, I am the type that tends to make lemonade when served with bad lemons, so I don't mind what I get back. The social aspect of the swap is what I have fun with.

I'm not sure there will be another IRR offered on this board. There have been 3---I hosted one and it broke my heart that of the 60 quilts that started, there were 2 that never made it home. As a host....we cannot control what other people do! That alone is the reason that I will not host another. I cannot deal with the feelings of disappointment and frustration that I had...innocent members were being hurt by someone else and I couldn't do a thing about it. That is the chance you take doing a round robin...but if you form an individual one with a group of people you feel comfortable with...they are sooo great!

Swaps are lots of fun....just go for it!

Blog Entries
    The few block swaps I have joined, the majority of the blocks were made from cheap fabric and you could tell not much thought went in the sewing. I mean bright pink thread to sew dark fabric pieces? The thread is usually thick so the seam won't press flat. Why do quilters that sign up for swaps use thread and fabric they want to get rid of? It's so obvious. The blocks I did receive that were nice I used them in a quilt, the others went in the trash. I wasn't about to keep them around to be disappointed looking at them. If I see those block makers in the list of future swaps I don't participate. I always send a small gift to the swappers that follow the swap intention, it does take time and thought to make a nice one to send to someone and I appreciate the effort for the block to be as nice as possible. Just my thoughts on block swaps.

Blog Entries
    I love the secret pal swap. I have done others and the secret is to not expect all perfect blocks or all done according to directions.. but these are very few/ I sign up for 2 sets and then I know I will get plenty of nice blocks. I hope you decide to give them a try... most fit in a flat rate envelope so you are spending $5 to send and $5 to get your blocks back....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrah
    sandra
    The November Secret Pal swap will start any day now. Go to Home at the top of the page, then click on Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins. Look at the different swaps. I personally love the Secret Pal Swap. Our hostess is Lori and she does a wonderful job. Just read the rules and follow them. It is better to mail your package early than late. Come join us.

Another person who experienced mixed responses. My first one, a friendship block exchange (different forum) where we selected color of our choice and made a particular block, sending them to hostess who swapped them out (one from each participant & returned to us in postage-pd envelope), was wonderful. Great hostess, lots of feedback from participants as we worked on our 20 blocks and everyone came through with great blocks. Second: birthday block swap (another forum, 12 participants). I ended up shorted 5 blocks. Pin cushion swap okay but took several nudgings through hostess to get mine. I spy fabrics and other fabrics/fat quarter swaps -- positive. Another birthday block swap (still another forum) -- only 7 others in it, two poop-outs (early-in-the year birthdays who evaporated into thin air, after their birthdays of course. Mine was last in the group (midDec.). All-year Secret Angel Swap (this forum)-- excellent! Lots of nice things received and great getting to know my Angelee and at end, my SQA.

I agree with others, watch how well things are monitored by hostess and how specific the rules are (blocks defined in terms of acceptability, timing, etc.) or if for other things, how defined amounts to be spent are, etc. Myself, I prefer a one-end point swap (as opposed to all-year or ?) and prefer shorter time-frames as unexpected life-events getting in way are less likely to happen. If you go into it with idea that it might not be perfect, you'll be happier.

I did the fruit/vegetable swap. I got cookies and other kinds of foods, and my own returned to me. The fabrics didn't meet the swap requirements.

I was new this year. I was nervous joining the row robin. Some blocks I like and some I don't. But I learned a lot. As a new person to quilting, I tried my best. Even when you are trying to follow the rules, sometimes it is hard to get the blocks to come out to the exact size. People should be more lenient with their criticism of others. I enjoyed the swaps. I was in the row robin, secret pal, Funky Halloween swap, red/white/ blue, In the garden and 2 Christmas swaps. I have lots to finish. If there is a particular block you are not happy with, make a mug rug. You can always put a border on a block to make it come out to the right size.
    Try a swap. You might like it. My advice is do not get in too many at one time. Then you will not feel overwhelmed. :lol:

I have participated in several. For the most part is was a great experience, & loads of fun; but I did get burned on a few of them. I just don't participate in the those again.

Blog Entries
    One swap I enjoyed a lot was the host put as many items in a one price mailing box that would fit. She mailed it to the next person who took out what they wanted and added that much more to the box and mailed to the next on the list. The host then received the box last with all new items. The rule was to replace the items you took with other quality items. Everyone posted what they kept not what they replaced it with. It was a lot of fun.

I haven't done any block swaps or round robins, but the secret pal swaps I've participated in have been disappointing and not worth the trouble. For the most part, the longer the swap endures, the more things are re-gifted, and you end up with a lot of junk you don't want or need. Hope you don't mind my honesty...

I guess I haven't done any block or round swaps because I want my quilts to be all my own work, LOL! Maybe I'm just not a natural born swapper. :lol:

Loads of fun!! Great to see how talented people are! :thumbup:

Just have fun with it!

I have participated in many swaps back on the Compuserve and AOL boards. They were all fun.
    They all had some minor glitches. As others have
    said, the secret is to not expect perfection. If you
    (generic you, not necessarily you) are a perfectionist
    or on the quilt police force (but maybe you wouldn't dare
    admit it!) skip the swaps and such. Disappointment
    is directly proportional to expectations. You ARE going
    to get less than stellar sewing, questionable interpretation
    of colors, cheap fabric, and drop-outs. You are also going to have fun and just maybe learn a little something.
    NB - I would never do a round robin with complete strangers because if you lose your quilt you lose the whole thing, it's not a matter of coming up short a few blocks.
    Hum...think I'll go check it out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast