Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions vs. rules >

opinions vs. rules

opinions vs. rules

Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Safety is my only hard fast rule. Wear shoes, use a safety tool when using a rotary cutter, and turn off the machine when changing the needle.
It's funny, Bella, a couple of days ago there was a thread asking whether you wore shoes quilting or preferred barefoot, and I think I was was the only one out of a couple dozen replies that actually does wear shoes to sew! What is a "safety tool" to use with a rotary cutter? My thing is just that every single time I stop rotary cutting, even for a few seconds to turn the fabric, I click the blade into the safety position. I don't think anyone in their right mind ignores that rule. But that's just my opinion. Kate, I see your point. Guess we all need to be careful how we phrase things. What I enjoy here is that there are so many different opinions expressed on every question, so you can pick and chose what to follow and what to ignore.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM

I have asked many questions on here. When people answer my questions I look at their answers based on their experiences. I have never read anything into any responses as being hard and fast rules.

I remember asking about what was the right way to do something. I distinctly remember one poster saying it's my quilt and I can do it whatever way I wanted.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

So should we all put a disclaimer in our sigs stating that our opinions are our own and shouldn't be taken as the law of the quilting land?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 PM

After five years learning to quilt, I am still such a "newbie" that I would never tell someone to do anything one particular way - I just might be quite WRONG!!! Egg on my face and all that...
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM

Thank you Kate. I've always received good advice here, usually with more than one suggestion as to how to do something. I do know though, that after taking a class I almost stopped quilting...I was convinced I was doing everything wrong, because of the way the teacher "presented" her "opinion". Once I joined here it took me awhile to feel comfortable posting!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

And let me add: Subject of the question not in the title.......
I try to limit my time to the posts to which I can contribute and just saying Need Help is not sufficient.\
Please tell me enough to let me know if it is something I can answer.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 PM

Bellaboo, I understand that safety is a huge concern when using sharp tools and hot irons, but I mostly sew with bare feet. I need to feel the machine pedal and have a much better sense of what how much pressure I am applying with bare feet.

I also do not turn off my machines when I change the needle I need all the light I can get to see what I am doing.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

It's all in the delivery I'm guessing. Some people are rule oriented....others slightly anarchistic....When I post a reply, it is always meant in the spirit of "in my humble opinion" or "this is what works for me"...
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM

I've not noticed many "rules" being quoted---------and if one is, it's generally followed by a "but..........."
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
So should we all put a disclaimer in our sigs stating that our opinions are our own and shouldn't be taken as the law of the quilting land?
This gal doesn't need to read disclaimers. We all have our ways-----------IMO---LOL--------it's great to see so many different approaches.