Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted ...help!!

Blog Entries
    what a wonderfully colorful quilt. i luv free spirit fabrics and to me if you want to keep bright and colorful you can leave the blocks as is. but if you decide to use a sashing use something with color like a deep orange or a turquoise or a blue, one of the colors in the block in a blender or marble print. why tame the colors? they were meant to speak up.

this is a bright colorful quilt that is currently on my planning board and i have started cutting squares for it. i don't plan to tame or tone down the colors one bit with blacks, whites or dark blues. i plan to let the colors sing in all their glory.

Last edited by Havplenty; 05-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Sashing would be nice, but not white, I would use a colored one, probably a solid
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I love all the bright fabrics. If it were mine I would sash it with black to really make the colors pop.

Gorgeous blocks! I'd use sashing but not with white. The white just doesn't seem to "fit." Like some of the others have suggested, a royal or dark blue would be lovely!

I would sash but I think a coordinating colour would be better than white. Love the bright colours

If you were to sash them, I consider the white to be too much contrast and would go with one of the yellowy-caramelly colour that you find in the blocks. I think the designs are more easily seen with the sashing.

Blog Entries
    Nice wild blocks! I think the white would make them calmer, but they look great together, too. Sorry, no help!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
    Love your blocks. I'd do the sashing in black (narrow) and use the scraps to make a prairie point edging at the border edges. It will play up the color and you have quite a bit of black in those scraps anyway. Please post when you're done - I'd love to see it finished!
    Oh yeah! This sounds spectacular....

I agree with some of the others. With no sashing there's no place for the eye to rest, it's just too busy. With the white sashing, it detracts from the blocks, it's segregates them too much. I would use a dark blue or black, small sash between the blocks, giving the eye somewhere to rest, but not disturbing the overall look you're going for.

What a find!! Love those fabrics and bright, happy colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't calm it down any, my Opinion.
    Where can I find your pattern and would the ruler be necessary also?
    B in Bama

I think I need to start shopping at Tuesday Mornings!!! Try black or navy sashing...even 1/2 inch wide...for a little separation. White does nothing for the blocks....more distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
    What a find!! Love those fabrics and bright, happy colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't calm it down any, my Opinion.
    Where can I find your pattern and would the ruler be necessary also?
    B in Bama
    War Eagle to you! The pattern is called the Daniela Block by Daniela at http://www.cozyquilt.com/Features/StripTubing.aspx There are three boxes there with more info if you like.
    Previous posting on patterns using the Strip Tube Ruler http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t188607.html And no the ruler is not necessary as you can use your own ruler with 45 degree marking after watching Jenny Doan of Missouri Quilt Company http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWSp0mTTqE The thing I like about this demo is that they show you how to cut left handed and right handed. Jenny also shows other possibilities of positioning the blocks.

I would sash with 1/2 " dark sashing with a 1/2 ' white in the corners.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
    ...., but any of the other colors would look nice. I am partial to the lime green, but any of the other colors would look good too. ...
    oooh lime green sounds just great. black stripping and brights--a bit overused (imho). i hope you decide to do something fresh with your free spirit blocks. i luv them!
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I would do sashing but a dark colour not white. My 1st choice would be royal blue, black or maybe even try it with that tangerine colour that is in your blocks. IMHO I think it needs some framing.
    Dance like no one is watching

I am really enjoying seeing the different viewpoints and have pulled other potential contenders to put up on the design wall. Will finish the remainder of the blocks today and then allow to rest on the wall. Thanks for all your feedback.

Blog Entries
    I love these fabrics!!! I like the blocks either way but for a different approach, how would they look "on point" with sashing? That might give a totally different look. But whatever you decide will look great !!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I would sash, but use narrower sashing than the way you have it layed out. I'd use a more neutral color (less contrast) or black. Use colored cornerstones from your scraps used in the quilt.
    Thimble and Thread

I usually like sashing between bright blocks but looking at the blocks you posted, I like them without the sashing. If you do decide to sash go with the dark blue or black narrow sashing. The white seems to detract. Beautiful blocks!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Good luck on whatever you decide on .. let it sit both ways (make it up with the sash and without-then walk away, go shopping work in the garden or whatever you do)and come to see what your quilting eye tells you .. Beautiful colors for sure !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think an orange/red sashing (not sure what color that is) would look really nice.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I think it will look great with the sashing.Just MHO.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    I LOVE all the bright colors and the designs - I think a thin sashing, using one of the less-used colors, like purple (but then I'm partial to purple!), just enough to separate the blocks without lessening their impact, would be perfect. The blocks are just glorious, this is going to be the happiest quilt ever! When you're done, if you don't like it, let me know and I'll send you my address ...
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

I like the separation between the blocks that a dark sashing would give. Otherwise, IMHO, it is too confusing.

I think the blocks need some separation so each one can "pop". I would definitely go for black. I am currently working on a paper pieced swirl using bright batiks and black. I am loving the contrast! I would definitely use a narrow sash, though. Maybe only 1/2 inch finished. Your blocks are gorgeous! Please post finished pic!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast