Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Wanted-swap gifts >

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Old 06-22-2012, 07:10 AM

Here's one that doesn't take much doing and should please any quilter: http://quilting.about.com/od/giftsfo...tquarter_2.htm
Old 06-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
A thought occurs to me...if people end up putting "gifted" items in the Goodwill bin, and this is a monthly swap, why not steer this thing in a more productive direction. If everyone brought one canned food item and they were donated monthly to a food bank, wouldn't that be a better use of time and money? This is not meant to offend, but just to be more practical and useful.
There's nothing wrong with this idea, but giving anything to Goodwill or other charities that sell items to raise money for the needy should not be seen as a lesser gift, IMO. Goodwill provides a lot of jobs for people, too. If the idea is to swap a themed gift, it's okay to do that and to accept that sometimes the gift might miss it's mark. I trust that these days most people would not discard things to have them wind up in a landfill.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Almost all of the little swap gifts I get I find are things I will never ever use and I give them to Goodwill. The thing I would most like would be bags to put my shoes in when I put my shoes inside my suitcase when I travel. Also bags made with tuille windows with seperate compartments for ear rings and necklaces. The ones I have are made entirely from satin. I like the idea of being able to see the jewelry, but still it is contained and easy to pack and handle in the suitcase.
The shoe bag is really a good idea. Since I am a nurse, I was finishing my MSN and we had to do a project to show how to keep the attention of the audience. We were placed in groups of 4. Well one came up with this idea, one with another and so on. Well, it was left up to me to tie all this in. I put all of their names on a piece of paper and passed it around the room and had everyone to put their favorite color beside of their name. So, being a seamtress first (instead of a nurse), I came up with the idea to put all of the items in a bag that I made and told all the class that it would double as a shoe bag when we were traveling and doing other lectures. I monagrammed everyone's name and the year on the side of the bag.This was such a great hit with the instructor (not mention my good grade!). Come to find out, she had been wanting something to put her shoes in when traveling and the mongraming was a bonus. Then, I was telling a friend at church what I did in the class and she suggested I do this for the Ladies Circle at Christmas! So, I made 16 more bags for our group for our December meeting. Everyone there loved them as well and several said how and when they would be using theirs. Having said this, from my experience, I believe the shoe bags will be a hit for you!

Last edited by Sewnique; 06-22-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Well, if it were me, and I had a headache every month for something that's not only not necessary, but is supposed to be fun, I think I'd back out. Maybe just go to the get-together but bow out of the gift giving. or just make a dessert for the gathering and that is your swap gift.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 AM

I just watched an episode of Fons and Porter and one of the tips in the tips section was to use leftover blocks and scraps to make wrist pillows to use to rest your wrist on while using a mouse. Seemed like a good idea to me -lots of people seem to have carpal tunnel syndrome and I know I am always getting "lost on the computer."
Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mdall View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...1-dsc02295.jpg This is a stiletto. I use them to hold down my seams so they dont get flipped when going under my presser foot. I also use them for anything that requires me to put my fingers where i dont want them like when ironing tiny seam allowances.
where would I buy the main part of these. I have beads and stuff to fancy it up. Would love to make some of them. and I do need one myself. really pretty....
Old 06-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Ok quilters....just how does this swap thing work. What all is involved? thanks for any info.......sounds like a fun thing to do...
Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Raggiemom, I love the jar pincushion in the tute for Trash bag for car. Does it have buttons in the jar?

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
Thread catcher http://gigisquilts.blogspot.com/2011...ar-thread.html

Trash bag for car http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/07/ca...k-of-that.html

Cart caddy for coupons (couldn't get link to work today)

This site has all kinds of ideas. http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/downloads.php
Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 PM

I want something I can use. Pretty pot holders are quick, inexpensive and fun to make. dnf
Originally Posted by mdall View Post
Okay, so here I sit trying to put together a list to go shopping and I can't decide what to make. I know most of you have had this problem. Im wanting to make a bunch of small gifts up for swaps and cant decide what to make or should I just get something little from the store. I participate in several swap every month and always always run into this problem. I worry about will they like it, can they use it, etc.... I always want to make every person I swap with feel special with a little adding something. I usually worry about this so much I give myself a headache. I've done the usual, tissue holders, scissor cases, and even made my own stilettos. So, here I am asking. If you were to participate in a swap of any kind on here what would you like to see or what would you make as an extra. Please be honest. I know most of us one here are the same as me and anything would work but I also know we all have those little small things in our mind that we would love to have and just never do it for ourselves. So, help Im tired of stressing over it and it would just be so wonderful to have everyone opinions on this. Speak up because you never know when we may be in the same swap and you may just get what you have suggested.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Karate lady - The handmade stilettos that I have received were made using bamboo skewers. I have a Clover brand stiletto (metal?) also but I like the bamboo ones better because if the needle hits them, the needle may not break.