Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Optical Illusion quilt - layout options >

Optical Illusion quilt - layout options

Optical Illusion quilt - layout options

Old 01-30-2018, 01:41 PM

This is a really, really cool looking quilt. I have never attempted a 3D quilt but am inspired to start small with one like this. You're being very patient with all the changes, comments, and suggestions. Each rendition is getting better and better. Do I dare offer one more perspective? If you have already sewn your borders on, don't yell at me. LOL.

But...when I looked at the very first picture, I got the definite feeling of blocks tumbling through space . In the second, however, it reminded me of blocks (or dice or cubes) falling onto a game board with black edges. Both have the tumbling effect, for sure, but when the edges were partly in white space, the feeling was more free-fall. (I actually felt my stomach flip. Haha.)

So...here is my daring-please-don't-scream suggestion: What if , instead of keeping an all-black border, you alternated black with white in the same way you built the rest? In other words, "borderless"?
Old 01-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Zozee, well, the border is already sewn on LOL ... BUT, I haven't started doing anything with it yet. I have to buy the fusible interface, and put another layer of fabric behind the blocks so the black doesn't show through ... so that is definitely an option that I can look at!

Thanks for the idea, and I'll work on it over the weekend ...
Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 PM
j50

I have been following this thread and think you are almost there.Looks great!!!!!

The only 2 blocks I am concerned about are the 2 upper blue green ones. When placing objects one has to consider the negative space created behind the object. The one on the left is almost there I am not sure If i like the corner cut off that much, consider the black and white shape created. The one on the right should be moved over left a little bit so the white space is showing a little more creating a little larger triangle.

I do like zozee idea of continuing the black and white border.

Last edited by j50; 01-30-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:30 PM

One black side on pink block does not show, other pink block shows black and white underneath. Rest is PERFECT!
Old 02-01-2018, 01:42 PM

OK ... the layout idea is pretty much the same, but I ironed back the border and moved all the blocks in ...

do you prefer with or without the border?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588220[/ATTACH]

with border

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588221[/ATTACH]

Also, I haven't put the extra fabric on the backing yet, so yes, you will still see some of the black fabric ... that's the next step before I start quilting it all together!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions
Attached Thumbnails img_2171.jpg   img_2169.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 02:06 PM
j50

I think what zozee and I were thinking about the border was to add another round of b/w , it looks a little squished for my taste . The place of the cubes is great in post # 45 with black border. As I mentioned in my previous post maybe the 2 upper cubes need a little tweaking so background negative space is pleasing.The one one the left may be ok with the new b/w border but the one on the right should be moved to the left a bit.

Just my thoughts!
Old 02-01-2018, 02:29 PM

I don't have enough fabric to add another round - unless I go out and buy more! Which is an option!

I could certainly put them back to the way they were in the other post (with the border, but moving them in)

Also - I'm having another issue ... I've tried white fabric with the fusible interface, and you can still see the black through the light fabrics. Has anyone had this issue? And how did you resolve it?

Thanks again
Old 02-01-2018, 02:51 PM
j50

I don't have enough fabric to add another round - unless I go out and buy more! Which is an option!
I think you may only need white fabric since you have the extra black border fabric to use.
I could certainly put them back to the way they were in the other post (with the border, but moving them in)

Also - I'm having another issue ... I've tried white fabric with the fusible interface, and you can still see the black through the light fabrics. Has anyone had this issue? And how did you resolve it?
Try using 2 layers of white fabric or see if you have a heavier weight fabric to use for a backing.

Thanks again
Old 02-01-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by j50 View Post
I think you may only need white fabric since you have the extra black border fabric to use.
The "border" is black with white bubbles, so not really matching!

Try using 2 layers of white fabric or see if you have a heavier weight fabric to use for a backing.
Will do thank you!

Thanks again
Thanks J50 - added some comments in your quote ... and I rearranged them back to the way they were before ... I have also made the executive decision that I will not be adding more to the edges, because I am not doing those mitered borders LOL ... too much work ...

So, it's either with a border or without ... BUT ... I can cut some of my cubes so they are smaller!

Here's what I have right now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588231[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2172.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 03:25 PM
j50

If the double white fabric is not good try and beige to brown and see how that shadows out. Does the border really have to match, might look good with the bubbles and white fabric.